Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of threads about ppl hitting 500+ whp with turbos and new blocks on E30.

What is possible with just 91 or 93 octane, maybe even using water meth. Here on Toronto, we don't have E85 and I want to know what is the possible or is 400whp the max with all bolts on and water meth.

Will a turbo make much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I see a lot of threads about ppl hitting 500+ whp with turbos and new blocks on E30.

What is possible with just 91 or 93 octane, maybe even using water meth. Here on Toronto, we don't have E85 and I want to know what is the possible or is 400whp the max with all bolts on and water meth.

Will a turbo make much of a difference?
From what I've seen, pump gas (93) with full bolt-ons can net you around 380-390awhp (at the most). 91 is probably 370-380awhp. Haven't seen too much on E30, but E85 is in the 400-410awhp range from what I've seen.

The torque is really what you should be watching for the stock clutch and block. We have some really thin walls near cylinder 3, I think it is, and with the open deck design, it just can't handle too much more than the 400awhp mark.

A larger turbo with more fuel and tuning will of course allow for more power, but again, I wouldn't do it on the stock block. The two popular routes are sleeving the 2.3 (or at least bolstering the thinner walls), or going with a 2.0 block and a full internal build.

The "good news" is, once you're past a full short block build, with the right fuel and tuning, and larger turbo, they make quite a lot of power without too much difficulty. Though, there are some decisions to make with fueling.

This is why I keep waffling between keeping it and selling it. I'd like to make a 10 second car some day, and it's not possible with the RS without the above mentioned mods. :/

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would consider running water meth on top of that possible set up also. Will reduce the likelihood of detonation on pump gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Really it depends on your tune. You can get 380 wtq with WMI and bolt-ons, but you'll be at the edge. I went from 283hp/313tq to 306/349 on 93 with IC, pipes, WMI, WGA, plugs, drop-in filter, catback and tune. The WMI didn't add much power, but it held the curve all the way to shift rather than falling off.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I really like WMI not so much for its power potential but for its positive impact on reliability. Cooler cylinder temps and detonation suppression are fantastic characteristics for a mod IMO.

·
Registered
803 Posts
With a stock turbo you can only get to about 398awhp. Depends on dyno. I was running 93 and heavy shot 4 #3 nozzles of straight meth in mine and was just shy of 400 whp. That maxed out the turbo. With 93 you should be around 320 whp depending on dyno anything higher is asking for issues. If you are limited to 91-93 then water meth or straight meth is ideal. I really like my setups.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Virtual dyno im 330whp on 93oct, 350whp on E30 in Florida. Mods are just spark plugs, air filter, intercooler, and ethanol content sensor.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Virtual dyno im 330whp on 93oct, 350whp on E30 in Florida. Mods are just spark plugs, air filter, intercooler, and ethanol content sensor.

That’s sounds about right depending on which dyno you use. E30 is really the best bang for your buck. I run that in my wife’s 2.0 edge and it’s been great. Just rolled 50,000 straight miles of e30

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Can you guys get pump e30? Where I live we don’t have any kind of e85. I mean I guess we have “e15” but they just put a little ethanol in their base fuel to make it premium lol. A joke

·
Registered
495 Posts
i dont think pump e30 exists, i read somewhere e30 is the max ethanol content our car can handle without going to an auxiliary fueling setup so its popular to mix 91 with e85.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Can you guys get pump e30? Where I live we don’t have any kind of e85. I mean I guess we have “e15” but they just put a little ethanol in their base fuel to make it premium lol. A joke
Most people play the mixing game and figure out much how e85 they need per tank of gas using calculators or spreadsheets.

They stripped out most of the e85 pumps around me making it even more of a hassle. I had it temporarily on the ST and gave up when it turned into a 40 minute escapade to fill up the car every week.

·
Registered
740 Posts
i dont think pump e30 exists, i read somewhere e30 is the max ethanol content our car can handle without going to an auxiliary fueling setup so its popular to mix 91 with e85.
Stratified do an e40 tune that doesn’t require any supporting mods. That might be about the limit you can take ethanol content without adding aux fuelling etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stratified do an e40 tune that doesn’t require any supporting mods. That might be about the limit you can take ethanol content without adding aux fuelling etc.

E40 is the limit after that It starts leaning out in the top end. Yeah mixing is a pain, the content analyzer and calculators make it easier. The midwest has blender pump stations that can deliver E30. Unfortunately these are not available in Florida.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know a guy that is at 603 whp on a mountune long block and mrx turbo.
Awesome would like to see a dyno and what fuel/fuel system upgrade he is running.
Ok, so he ran with a mrx turbo but 490whp wasn't enough for him. He is still running the mountune long block with their most aggressive cam in it, along with 2000cc injectors form injector dynamics. Persision turbo, awe exhaust. Custom tune from a tuner in the Chicago area, upgraded intake/cold side piping and mountune intercooler and an upgraded fuel pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the group and just wanted to get some opinions. I have a 2018 RS that I would like to get more power out of. It currently has a full mountune intake, recirculation valve, cold intercooler piping, colder plugs, catback, and tuned on 100 octane by randy from mountune. My latest dyno my car made 356 whp and 396 wtq on a dyno dynamics dyno. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
New to the group and just wanted to get some opinions. I have a 2018 RS that I would like to get more power out of. It currently has a full mountune intake, recirculation valve, cold intercooler piping, colder plugs, catback, and tuned on 100 octane by randy from mountune. My latest dyno my car made 356 whp and 396 wtq on a dyno dynamics dyno. Thanks!
So what do you want an opinion on then?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts