Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
so i'm wondering what the best intercooler for the Focus RS is? Right now im looking at the ETS intercooler or the Airtec, or CPE help lol.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just installed my Levels Performance Front Mount last weekend. I did everything backwards and it was my final bolt-on; it should have been first. Did a GFB+ Recirc Valve at the same time. GOOOOOD LORD, does the car accelerate and through the whole power band now.

I hit a pull just in 3rd, 2500-6200 RPM, OH MAH FRIGGING GOD. It's like my RS has a soul now.

But yeah, you really can't go wrong with whatever brand you pick. I got lucky and got the Levels Performance one, in stock, last one on a website that the owner of Levels (solo man company) stopped doing business with. Usually they are $600 through Levels themselves and you have to wait. I've heard about people waiting months, but the welds are amazing and quality is awesome. Even got 10% off too.

Not to gloat, but I probably got the cheapest BNIB FMIC on the forums at $540. =)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Stock if you don't live in a warm climate and have to worry about heatsoak....

Any aftermarket IC is going to add 20+lbs to the nose of your car, and reduce spool time due to the larger volume. If you don't need it, the money is better spent elsewhere. I only upgraded mine since I got the full kit with pipes for 550 in a group buy, and socal gets hot in the summer so heatsoak is an issue.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Think there are a stack that are excellent. Think ETS would have one if the best but you will pay a premium for it (not unsurprisingly) over others. I have the Mishimoto unit with charge pipes and it is performing really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
You know I once was at a tattoo shop and there was a sign that said "good tattoos arent cheap. Cheap tattoos arent good" I always use that motto for them as well as performance aftermarket products for my car. If you plan on building your car to really beat on it then spend the money on quality. If you plan on just doing the mods to look like you have a bad ass car and you plan on flipping it within a year or 2 then go with something cheap that wont last as it wont matter. Again I would prefer to spend the extra for peace of mind. Take that as you may. Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
CPe with all the piping here. Happy with it. Charge temps actually go down on data logs by a few degrees.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
You know I once was at a tattoo shop and there was a sign that said "good tattoos arent cheap. Cheap tattoos arent good" I always use that motto for them as well as performance aftermarket products for my car. If you plan on building your car to really beat on it then spend the money on quality. If you plan on just doing the mods to look like you have a bad ass car and you plan on flipping it within a year or 2 then go with something cheap that wont last as it wont matter. Again I would prefer to spend the extra for peace of mind. Take that as you may. Just my thoughts

Normally I'd agree with you, but the Depo intercooler is some pretty decent build quality and has consistently outperformed the stock intercooler. Maybe it isn't as efficient as some of the more expensive brands, but for half the price I'm very happy with the quality and performance. Wot boost temps stay at or below ambient, so I don't think you can get a whole lot better for the money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Normally I'd agree with you, but the Depo intercooler is some pretty decent build quality and has consistently outperformed the stock intercooler. Maybe it isn't as efficient as some of the more expensive brands, but for half the price I'm very happy with the quality and performance. Wot boost temps stay at or below ambient, so I don't think you can get a whole lot better for the money.
I wasnt disagreeing and yes probably better than the stock. Also you can increase the efficiency of the stock intercooler by removing the restrictive cover that's on the driverside. It just depends on what you want to use the application for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stock if you don't live in a warm climate and have to worry about heatsoak....

Any aftermarket IC is going to add 20+lbs to the nose of your car, and reduce spool time due to the larger volume. If you don't need it, the money is better spent elsewhere. I only upgraded mine since I got the full kit with pipes for 550 in a group buy, and socal gets hot in the summer so heatsoak is an issue.
Well I live in NJ and in the summer I can get pretty hot and in the winter it can get pretty cold but I just notice engine temps not going down on regular driving, also the stock one is meh from what I see people doing/ talking about

·
Registered
320 Posts
Like every consumable, car parts often carry brand premiums.....

Most intercooler cores come from the same factories using the same processes. There will be differences in the quality of the end tanks, welds, pipes etc.

Paying more does not necessarily mean better

·
Registered
79 Posts
Best bang for your buck is depo. The cpe with black ceramic coating is great but that’s 1k for an intercooler vs depos 500 for intercooler + charge pipes. The cpe is my personal go to so that’s my vote of money is not an issue.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The stock intercooler of the plastic plate Is removed will do at least 35psi, and cool it really well. But if you want chill, I believe ther is a universal ac radiator mount that you can turn on that will cool the intercooler temps better, like the demon. I see running 32psi about 85°F while it was wet and rainy at ~60°F outside flying 160mph down the highway. The intercooler temp peaked at about 90mph at 95°

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
[/QUOTE]I wasnt disagreeing and yes probably better than the stock. Also you can increase the efficiency of the stock intercooler by removing the restrictive cover that's on the driverside. It just depends on what you want to use the application for.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Good point. I always forget about that because it was the first thing I did the day I bought my RS haha. I guess if cooler boosted temps is truly the end goal then water/meth injection is a much better option than an upgraded intercooler.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good point. I always forget about that because it was the first thing I did the day I bought my RS haha. I guess if cooler boosted temps is truly the end goal then water/meth injection is a much better option than an upgraded intercooler.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. As long as the stock cooler is not a restriction for your intended power level. No intercooler will cool as well as water/meth. You can get significantly lower than ambient. And no weight over front of car

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wasnt disagreeing and yes probably better than the stock. Also you can increase the efficiency of the stock intercooler by removing the restrictive cover that's on the driverside. It just depends on what you want to use the application for.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Good point. I always forget about that because it was the first thing I did the day I bought my RS haha. I guess if cooler boosted temps is truly the end goal then water/meth injection is a much better option than an upgraded intercooler.[/QUOTE]
The stock intercooler is more than capable, but all the piping to and from the intercooler is pretty restrictive, that's why completely replacing it all, you can gain about 20hp. Also, running like a insulator between the oil pan and the charge pipe that goes there will help drop temps no matter the tube material. Running metal tubing can also help bring down temps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts