Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed from the latest threads that the RS has what seems to be a spot for a tow hitch in the rear end. I won't be towing anything and think it looks ugly. Why is it white? It stands out....if anyone tells me we won't be getting this same thing in US, please make my day! I know we are not getting the headlight washers in the US, which is awesome, as those too are ugly :) That's really my only gripe, everything else seems perfect.

Anyway, is there anything you guys dislike from what we know about the RS to this point?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Really dislike the auto start-stop because it puts additional strain on the engine and drivetrain, has questionable long term reliability, requires a more expensive battery and starter, and in all its glory only nets you ONE ADDITIONAL MPG!

Also, if the RS turns out not to have a tow hook in the front I can't say I'll be happy about that since I won't be mounting my front license plate.

EDIT: @dboyle23 the white spot in the rear is a rear fog light that the US market doesn't get. I'm not a fan of the look either and think the diffuser looks much cleaner with just the bean can exhausts poking out.

Other than that, me want FoRS now!

·
Registered
334 Posts
There are a few things I can say that I dislike.

My biggest point to gripe about is the lack of colors the car was offered in. I know that most cars in the US are black, white, gray and silver, but come on! This is supposed to be a fun car, it should come in fun colors!

I was never crazy about the exterior styling of the rear end on any of the Foci models. The cool wing and dual exhaust helps on the RS, but it still doesn't tickle my fancy.

This is unconfirmed, but it seems there is no good place to mount a US sized license plate on the front of the car. If someone knows anything about this, please do tell.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I noticed from the latest threads that the RS has what seems to be a spot for a tow hitch in the rear end. I won't be towing anything and think it looks ugly. Why is it white? It stands out....if anyone tells me we won't be getting this same thing in US, please make my day!
Are you sure that you're not referring to the rear mounted fog light in the center of the rear diffuser? Because we don't get that here in the US, but that weird protrusion will still be there. It will just be the same black plastic as the rest of the diffuser instead of a white lens.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is unconfirmed, but it seems there is no good place to mount a US sized license plate on the front of the car. If someone knows anything about this, please do tell.
there may not be a good place but when I ordered mine i was asked if i wanted the front tag mount, but i declined as it is not required where i live

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
there may not be a good place but when I ordered mine i was asked if i wanted the front tag mount, but i declined as it is not required where i live

I wasn't asked, but now I'll have to ask the dealer because it is required in my state. I just have to make sure that they're not drilling holes into the bumper to install it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wasn't asked, but now I'll have to ask the dealer because it is required in my state. I just have to make sure that they're not drilling holes into the bumper to install it.
Yeah "front license plate brkt" was included on my VOC but as soon as I get an official ETA to my dealer I will demand their heads not to go anywhere near my car with a drill. I'm pretty sure they'll ask me if I want them to mount the front plate, but it doesn't hurt to drill it into their heads :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure that you're not referring to the rear mounted fog light in the center of the rear diffuser? Because we don't get that here in the US, but that weird protrusion will still be there. It will just be the same black plastic as the rest of the diffuser instead of a white lens.
Nice. At least it will be black to match the rest of the diffuser.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Not really dislikes -- but improvements Ford could have made to the RS

First, I have a 2013 Race Red ST,ST3 and I love it except for the FWD limitations
and the torque steer.

Second, I have RS on order with RS2, Moonroof, and forged wheels in Shadow Black and I think it will be an exceptional, fantastic car.

My "musts haves" that would make or break my RS buying decision do not exist.

However, if you make me a designer, dreamer, Ford engineer and let me be the "car nut" I am, I can come up with a long list of additions or enhancements I would like to have seen Ford offer as additional packages or options.

Not really dislikes -- but improvements Ford could have made to the RS

(1) The limited color selection the brilliant Ford Execs decided would be "globally" popular.
(2) The lack of providing driver assistance features globally ( some but not all are offered in EU).
.....2A - Dynamic Cruise Control.
.....2B - Lane Keep Assist and Departure Prevention.
.....2C - Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) -electronic instead of the convex mirrors.
.....2D - Cross Traffic alert monitoring.
.....2E - Pre-Collision System.
.....2F - Forward and Rear Detection Sonar.
.....2G - Automatic High Beams.
.....2H - HUD.
.....2I - Parking Assist.
.....2J - Airbag Deployment Notification.

3. Power Passenger Seat with lumbar.
4. Memory seat and mirror positions ( 3 memories).
5. Heated/Cooled Seats.
6. Full Recaro Leather Seats.
7. Homelink.
8. Auto-dimming rearview mirror.
9. Rear fog light.
10. All LED stoplights, turn signals, license tag lights, internal lights -i.e. all lights LED except Bi-Xenon Headlights.
11. Rain sensing windshield wipers.
12. special glass on front windshield sheet off water without winpers on.
13. Headlight washers.
14. Extra 2 inches of rear passenger leg room.
15. Able to set drive mode -persistent settings and other persistent settings - possibly based on customizable keys.
16. Keypad entry.
17. MagneRide Damping System
18. Integrated Driver Control (IDC) System.
19. Power fold-in mirrors with integrated turn signals.
20. Swivel bi-xenon HID headlights.
21. Spare tire instead of inflator and sealant tire kit.
22. Additional Theft GPS notification.
23. Optional higher level audio systems
24. Rear Brembo brakes
25. Optional Brake caliper colors- silver, black, red
26. Upgraded, more luxurious interior
27. Ford sanctified Performance options with warranty

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you sure that you're not referring to the rear mounted fog light in the center of the rear diffuser? Because we don't get that here in the US,but that weird protrusion will still be there. It will just be the same black plastic as the rest of the diffuser instead of a white lens.
Doesn't look it will.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Yeah "front license plate brkt" was included on my VOC but as soon as I get an official ETA to my dealer I will demand their heads not to go anywhere near my car with a drill. I'm pretty sure they'll ask me if I want them to mount the front plate, but it doesn't hurt to drill it into their heads :p
I can't be completely certain because this is a preproduction vehicle, but here's how the license plates attach to the vehicles that they bring to car shows. The drilling is already done from the factory.

IMG_20160101_153555.jpg

Doesn't look it will.

That would be even better. I have seen a bunch of pictures of preproduction cars with that stupid lump there, but if we get a completely different rear diffuser I will be happy. That would suck for all of the people that want to swap on a rear fog light, though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Primary dislikes (none are deal breakers though):

- limited paint options
- lack of blind spot monitoring
- lack of parking sensors
- no rev-matching toggle for manual transmission
- no 3 door variant
- no centre mounted tach in IP (see: Porsche, MX-5)
- no HUD
- car could afford to lose 200 lbs

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a white RS2 with forged, no moonroof on order.

What I dislike:

1. Not being able to get it for X-plan :)
2. Forge Wheels are black and not gun metal
3. The drop in power nearing redline from initial power curve graphs.

My gripes:

No auto dimming mirror offered in US
No Privacy Glass offered
No Rear Fog Light

and now...
I That would suck for all of the people that want to swap on a rear fog light, though.
Not being able to retrofit the fog...haha.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
does anyone have a picture from an auto show with a US front plate mounted?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
- Shifter positioning. Left of center, or even center would be nice. Right side of the car. WTF?
- B-Pillar positioning. Good Gawd it's a fat B-Pillar, and it's EXACTLY even with my head. #TallPeopleProblems
- Pedals. Would be nice if they placed them so that they were more heel-toe friendly.
- So many damn doors. I could open a f'n youth hostel in this thing. How about a nice aggressive looking 3dr hatch?? You know, like the MK2 RS.

None of these made me run away yet. Just wish they'd employ at least 1 ergonomics engineer who's driven a car. Guessing the farthest their egro engineer made it was a Pinto or something.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can't be completely certain because this is a preproduction vehicle, but here's how the license plates attach to the vehicles that they bring to car shows. The drilling is already done from the factory.

View attachment 3643

That would be even better. I have seen a bunch of pictures of preproduction cars with that stupid lump there, but if we get a completely different rear diffuser I will be happy. That would suck for all of the people that want to swap on a rear fog light, though.
If they're pre-drilled that'd be great but if those are just marks to show them where to ruin your car then I'll be breaking the law until I can get the tow hook mount :cool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Also, forgot to add that they should've left the intercooler/radiator silver if it is in fact black for production. Something about a massive cooling system clearly visible behind a thin mesh grille really hypes up a turbocharged cars' street impression and performance credentials!

The 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 was a great example of an awesome looking cooling system/front end for a high-performance turbo car. Though that may have been the only positive attribute as the Caliber can easily be chalked up to one of the worst cars of the past few decades.....

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
A 5 door harchback is perfect! This Station Wagon Coach has TOO MANY DOORS = 8

- Shifter positioning. Left of center, or even center would be nice. Right side of the car. WTF?
- B-Pillar positioning. Good Gawd it's a fat B-Pillar, and it's EXACTLY even with my head. #TallPeopleProblems
- Pedals. Would be nice if they placed them so that they were more heel-toe friendly.
- So many damn doors. I could open a f'n youth hostel in this thing. How about a nice aggressive looking 3dr hatch?? You know, like the MK2 RS.

None of these made me run away yet. Just wish they'd employ at least 1 ergonomics engineer who's driven a car. Guessing the farthest their egro engineer made it was a Pinto or something.

Now this is TOO MANY DOORS:

I think a 5 door hatchback is a perfect vehicle, with the perfect number of 5 doors. 3 door hatchbacks are becoming rarer and rarer because it is too hard to get in the backseats for adults.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think a 5 door hatchback is a perfect vehicle, with the perfect number of 5 doors. 3 door hatchbacks are becoming rarer and rarer because it is too hard to get in the backseats for adults.
This.....I never understood the appeal of 3 door hatches. More practical than a coupe, definitely, but I would hate to have to always move my seats every time anyone needs to ride in the back! You also lose most of the practicality quotient compared to a 5 door hatch due to the shorter wheelbase. There's not much difference in looks either compared to, say, a coupe vs. a sedan.

1 - 20 of 585 Posts