Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 RS2, already have mountune filter, Remus catback, and Accessport Cobb stage-1. Running 91oct. Trying to decide the next move.

-Looking to improve my 0 to 60 times, faster acceleration. More fun!
-Tune with flat foot shifting as default. Cobb stage-1 has this.
-Tune with launch control (just push it down and launch control is already there) as default tune, no slot changing after starting car. Any tune have this?
-Disable Auto Start, I thought Cobb stage 1 was supposed to have this but it doesn't work.
-Don't want unnecessary parts if not needed with stock turbo, do I really need upgraded intake plumbing if running stock turbo? Mountune B7 package is on holiday sale for $1,999. Comes with everything bolt on whether i need it or not. https://www.mountuneusa.com/COBB-Accessport-V3-ECU-Flasher-Ford-Focus-RS-B7-p/ap3-for-004b7.htm
But there stock dyno numbers are bloated, dont believe them, 337whp on 91oct and stock tune and parts. Torque they claim with B7 kit is super high.
-Needs to be inconspicuous for the smog inspection here in California when that time comes. So no intake tubes with big ass logo's and fancy colors. I doubt the smog inspectors would notice a different intercooler if it was just black like the stock one. Of course I would revert to stock tune for inspection.
-Is the rear motor mount really necessary if hammering it, is it stronger than stock?
-First gear seems restricted, feels same as my ST was. Can a tune open that up?

-Tune+ has a W400 kit and is basically a intercooler, Accessport, tune and wastegate. Does tune plus kit validate upgraded intake is not necessary? They claiming 367whp on 93oct. $1850, they give you a wastegate and no air recirculation valve like mountune. https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/collections/2016-2017-2018-ford-focus-rs-intercoolers/products/tune-w400-focus-rs-power-package?variant=19625833541

Dont want or need.
-Need 91oct, no 93oct, gas mixing or injection.
-I already have accessport and airfilter, no need for those, but these kits all come with them for the extra $$

So what bolt on's are really needed if the goal is to maximize power and keep stock turbo and run 91oct. Just an intercooler, filter, and custom tune?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
E tune all the way,

Get off the Cobb OTS amp

In Cali?...Mountune
The Cali 91 is crap
Go all stock, no Intercooler
And run e30...I know u say u don’t want too, but your rolling a boulder up hill, on Cali gas, it’s sooo easy.

you’ll make more than a FBO 93 on a otherwise stock e30 tune.

Intake, not much there if anything
IC will help with heat soak but wont
Necessarily make more power
you’ll need a better recirc valve
The WG is a Trojan horse as well unless your going big, it might hold boost better but the cars map targets torque, so boost varies, and is sufficient.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heat soak is for sure an issue, sometimes it pulls strong, a few minutes later is a dog. Hard pulls in 2nd and 3rd are inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
As @jjameson mentioned, I would go with an e-tune at the least since you already have a Cobb AP. Mountune is a good one since they are in SoCal and Randy is used to tuning with 91ACN. If you have E85 nearby, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss mixing E30, the benefits far out weight the hassle. I would go with Stratified if you were to do E30 and get a 91/E30 combo tune.

Depending on where you are in Ca (I'm in the central valley where it gets @$$ hot) an intercooler would help. The piping is not necessary, but I got the ETS set purely to avoid the chance of fit issues (since I have the ETS intercooler). Just get the black set to stay stealth.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
I suggest you give E30 a try. I've been keeping track of my changes with datalogs, all on the same stretch of road at sea level. Don't take the numbers at face value, instead, look at the difference between them.

Green is a 91 tune with a filter. 2 revisions.
Red is a 91+WMI tune with a filter, downpipe, and intercooler. 2 revisions.
Blue is an E30 tune with a filter, downpipe, and intercooler. No revisions.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Asking a question to facilitate discussion and for self-interested reasons...

Looks like lots of people are running an intercooler on stock intercooler piping, as the upgraded stuff doesn't add much. Is this what people are doing unless they buy a kit? Mountune has their IC for a decent price as part of their (early) Black Friday sales, but aren't discounting their pipes. So the discounted IC + pipes (even with a 10% discount) are about the same price as the kit (no discount offered)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Asking a question to facilitate discussion and for self-interested reasons...

Looks like lots of people are running an intercooler on stock intercooler piping, as the upgraded stuff doesn't add much. Is this what people are doing unless they buy a kit? Mountune has their IC for a decent price as part of their (early) Black Friday sales, but aren't discounting their pipes. So the discounted IC + pipes (even with a 10% discount) are about the same price as the kit (no discount offered)

Thanks!
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would skip it, but make sure that the IC you are buying is known to be compatible with the stock pipes. I actually bought my ETS IC used from a local and was told that he was constantly getting leaks or blowing the stock pipes off due to the way it fit, which prompted me to buy the ETS pipes new. Haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts