Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking about what my next car is gonna be. I’m looking at probably 1-2 years out at this point.

I have my TransAm GTA as my muscle car / track day toy.

live been keeping a constant eye on used car prices for:
  • Corvette c7 Z06 or Grandsport manuals
  • 2nd gen Panamera Turbos
  • Alfa Romeo Giuliano Quadrifoglio
Gotta be honest. The Alfa is winning right now. Prices are nice and I really like them. This is the cheapest but there are plenty of recent low mileage ones in the 40s.

I’ve been looking at a few close to home and I think im gonna go test drive one. I could easily sign and drive on one without trading the RS in.
Gotta collect’em all!

Used 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio for $37497 on Autotrader Autotrader - page unavailable

· Registered
96 Posts
I fell in love with an Alfa Giulia Quad at the Chicago Auto Show. They are beautiful cars and they just feel special when you are sitting inside of them. It’s the only car I had considered besides the new RS3 and CLA 45 AMG. Honestly if they didn’t have so many reliability concerns I probably would have got one over the AMG and also traded in my Miata for some ****ty AWD car for the winter (or waited and kept my RS). I just can’t swallow spending $70K+ on a car to not be able to depend on it. I was hoping by the later model years they would have ironed everything out but reading through the Giulia Quad forum kept me away. Maybe you won’t have issues and I hope you don’t if you get one. I think it will be a car I’ve always wanted, but will never actually get.

· Registered
3,678 Posts
Of the choices, I'd agree, the Alfa would be the most "interesting" 3rd car. I feel like the Corvette will probably just feel like a modern trans am and the Porsche a "nicer" and more grown-up RS.

· Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of the choices, I'd agree, the Alfa would be the most "interesting" 3rd car. I feel like the Corvette will probably just feel like a modern trans am and the Porsche a "nicer" and more grown-up RS.
Yeah. The vettes are on the list as track day weapons that would also make fun road-trip cars. The panamera very much fills in the spot as a more grownup RS, but certainly makes a better GT car. The Alfa is definitely a GT car completely. And it’s unique, that’s parts of its draw.

Igo back and forth all the time. I’m still saving for a house but hope to actually be shopping for a house by march or April so I don’t have to sign another year long lease on my apt. If I can I’m going to try to negotiate a 3 or 6 month lease. That should be enough to let me top $60k for house down payment.
After that I’m free to start actually saving for the next car. And I’ll have a garage to store the, in.

looking at 2.5car min garages. Prefer 3-4 car garages.

Can’t see myself getting rid of the transam. It’s and antique now by age(and isn’t THAT strange) and if I sold it finding another would be easy but cost me 2-3x what I’d get for selling mine now.

so I’m looking to add rather than replace.

lost my chance on a beautiful house with a 6car garage. Kicking myself on that one.

· Registered
2018 Race Red Ford Focus RS, Chicago
792 Posts
I like how you call the next week be a sibling to the RS, I am going to start using that phrase if you don’t mind;););)

I have been looking to replace my home in Darien with at least a 3 car garage. I have been looking in the area. Lemont and Woodridge come up in my search often, I like Willowbrook a lot too but not much comes up that I like. There have been several cars I would like, but I would prefer the larger garage first. I have a townhome with a two car garage.

· Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sibling because I don’t plan on getting rid of the RS.

extended warranty expires this April. After that it will get a car, fmic, and tuned followed by dsc adjustable shocks.

transam is getting a Holley Dominator EFI with CNP ignition first. I’ve pushed that old pcm far beyond its limits. The Holley system will fix several issues I have with inconsistency because ignition can’t keep up.

TA, then RS, followed by the next car.

if the c8 ADM wasn’t so out of control right now a c8z51 or even a c8z06 could be on the table.

but the price on the Alfas is just so good. As a non-daily it might be worth that risk.

· Registered
205 Posts
The Alfa is gorgeous, if you get an extended warranty the worst that will happen is that you drive the RS while it's in the shop lol. Seems like the dealers are motivated to sell so you might be able to work it into the price

· Registered
2018 Race Red Ford Focus RS, Chicago
792 Posts
I believe you can get a C8 at MSRP at Phillips in Frankfort and Hawk in Joliet, I was at Bill Kay in December and they were at $15k but they seemed willing to negotiate but I didn’t know or think to MSRP but you could try, Bill Kay is a lot closer to your home.

· Premium Member
18 Posts
I looked at a few Alfa's - REALLY liked the quadrofolio, that engine on full boost is fabs and solid handling. The limited dealer network gave me some pause after my experience with a BMW M car though.

I really needed a better commuter car, so I bought a Fiesta ST, which is a riot to drive, gets great MPG, and was cheap too. Plus, seems I cant go any direction for more than 50 miles without running into a Ford dealer. That also lead to updating the wife to an Edge ST.

· Registered
176 Posts
I would say go drive all three of the same segment cars and pick the one the suits the need you're looking for. One of the cars might have that thing your looking for in the next car

Alfa Romeo Giuliano Quadrifoglio
Mercedes C63 AMG (Twin Turbo V8)
F80 BMW M3

· Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say go drive all three of the same segment cars and pick the one the suits the need you're looking for. One of the cars might have that thing your looking for in the next car

Alfa Romeo Giuliano Quadrifoglio
Mercedes C63 AMG (Twin Turbo V8)
F80 BMW M3
Not interested in any Merc or BMW, ever. The only German brand I'd ever touch is Porsche.

· Registered
7 Posts
Just received a companion to my 2017 RS, a 2022 Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L Hi Performance Option and MagiRide options. When I get 3000 miles or so, I take it to the track and compare it with the RS on the track. Appears very stable on the road when pushed a bit...will be interesting in coming time at the track. will keep ya posted.

· Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God help me. I found a 2017 Panamera Turbo S with 60k miles in my price range. while I certainly make enough to sign n drive on it, I’m not comfortable with a $1000 car payment. If I traded the RS in and out about 10k down payment in I could bring the payments into the low $5xx range.

620hp super sedan is so tempting.

· Super Moderator
8,489 Posts
I would not trade in my RS.

That would be my daily and get another car.

To each their own though.

· Premium Member
18 Posts
so, prob fun to drive. that said, I would not want the ongoing maintenance costs associated with it...

that is exactly what drove me away from the Alfa - consumables like brakes are just painfully priced.

God help me. I found a 2017 Panamera Turbo S with 60k miles in my price range. while I certainly make enough to sign n drive on it, I’m not comfortable with a $1000 car payment. If I traded the RS in and out about 10k down payment in I could bring the payments into the low $5xx range.

· Registered
96 Posts

I have not looked at reliability or maintenance of this vehicle. If you have and you really want it, then I say go for it. The RS is a great car but I think most people would agree the Porsche is superior in just about every way. I recently traded in my RS and while I loved it and have fond memories of it, I do not regret it as the car I got is an upgrade. I just did a ton of research and knew that I really wanted it. Similar to when I upgraded from my Fiesta ST to the Focus RS. I liked that car a lot but never regretted the decision because I had something better and still fun. I think if you have the means and you want it and are comfortable with the decision then you should go for it. How much longer are fun cars going to be around before everything becomes electric and autonomous? May as well enjoy what you can while it’s still around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts