Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this site has a lot of Subaru defectors--including myself and It is getting close to that time of year where Subaru releases it's new model's feature list. What features would you be looking for in the 2017 STI that would cause you to change your mind about the RS and stick with, or go back to Subaru.

For me it would be:
1) A new platform - The same old EJ motor is starting to get old.. Every STI from 2004-2016 is basically the same car with an updated body style. I want something new and exciting and that holds more power RELIABLY.
2) An updated interior - If I am paying $40,000 I want to have nice seats, a solid sound system and an arm rest that is actually functional.. Is that too much to ask for?
3) A hatchback - pretty self explanatory here who doesn't love a nice hatchback!?

My list is pretty small because I already like Subaru. I have owned 3 Subarus: 2008 WRX, 2012 WRX and my current 2004 STI. If these three things were announced I would strongly consider making the switch back, what would it take for you?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
1. The 2015 WRX is a new platform. The STi is using an archaic drivetrain, but the chassis is new. And it seems to be quite good.

2. My college room mate bought a 2015 STi. While I haven't spent a ton of time in it, I haven't had any complaints about the interior. The seats are comfortable, it doesn't feel super cheap, and as far as creature comforts it does everything that I would want it to.

3. Subaru sent out a survey to existing WRX/STi owners about a year ago asking about what they would want from a future WRX/STi. It didn't ask about how much the EJ257 sucks or hybrid drivetrains or anything. It only asked if, given the choice, would your next STi be a sedan or a hatchback. He answered the former and I didn't talk to him for a month.

For me, it would have to be a hatchback weighing less than 3000 lbs with an FA20 making power comparable to the RS to make me consider it. I've never been a fan of Subaru and it would take a lot to make me move on from the RS.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Its as simple as a new engine with direct injection. The EJ, in North America, is over a decade old and needs better fuel economy. Yes, its a performance car, but all performance cars out there now get much better fuel economy than the EJ. I'll go as far as saying it doesn't need a bump in power too, though it would be nice.

But I don't even know what's happening to my order so I might jump into one sooner rather than later anyway, with or without a new engine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1. The 2015 WRX is a new platform. The STi is using an archaic drivetrain, but the chassis is new. And it seems to be quite good.

2. My college room mate bought a 2015 STi. While I haven't spent a ton of time in it, I haven't had any complaints about the interior. The seats are comfortable, it doesn't feel super cheap, and as far as creature comforts it does everything that I would want it to.

3. Subaru sent out a survey to existing WRX/STi owners about a year ago asking about what they would want from a future WRX/STi. It didn't ask about how much the EJ257 sucks or hybrid drivetrains or anything. It only asked if, given the choice, would your next STi be a sedan or a hatchback. He answered the former and I didn't talk to him for a month.

For me, it would have to be a hatchback weighing less than 3000 lbs with an FA20 making power comparable to the RS to make me consider it. I've never been a fan of Subaru and it would take a lot to make me move on from the RS.
Don't get me wrong the FA series motors are pretty awesome and seem to hold power great. I wouldn't mind that being brought over the the STI because it is in dire need of a rework. The new interiors are definitely a step up from the previous generations, but I still think they lack compared to other cars in the price range. We should atleast be getting recaro seats or something similar for that price. I know its a long shot on the hatch, Subaru felt there wasn't a big enough fan base for them compared to the sedan to make production worthwhile.

Its as simple as a new engine with direct injection. The EJ, in North America, is over a decade old and needs better fuel economy. Yes, its a performance car, but all performance cars out there now get much better fuel economy than the EJ. I'll go as far as saying it doesn't need a bump in power too, though it would be nice.

But I don't even know what's happening to my order so I might jump into one sooner rather than later anyway, with our without a new engine.
This is exactly right, there are cars out there with 450-500whp getting 25mpg out of a 6Cyl.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well my RS order is already selected for scheduling so I don't think I'll be going any other route besides patiently waiting at this point. Subaru should've replaced the EJ257 engine when the 2015 STI came out, they had no excuse for keeping that ticking time-bomb in what was then an all new car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my RS order is already selected for scheduling so I don't think I'll be going any other route besides patiently waiting at this point. Subaru should've replaced the EJ257 engine when the 2015 STI came out, they had no excuse for keeping that ticking time-bomb in what was then an all new car.
My order is selected as well, and I plan on keeping it unless the new STI for some reason matches everything on my wish list and even then it would still be a toss up. I had my name on a 2016 sti limited when they were being ordered but ended up canceling it because there was really no difference between that and my 04 sti besides 150k less miles..

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Don't get me wrong the FA series motors are pretty awesome and seem to hold power great.
I didn't really mean just the WRX. I couldn't say the "Impreza platform" because Subaru considers the WRX/STi to be a separate chassis. It seems as though they consider them all to be WRXs and the STi is just the highest trim, so I was using WRX there to mean the chassis that also includes the STi, which is new for the 2015 model year.

What I'm trying to say is that the only thing outdated on the new WRX/STi is the EJ in the STi. It is poorly suited for turbos (more because it's a boxer than anything), very poorly maintained/updated by Subaru, and is hilariously inefficient for reasons that I can't begin to understand. Subaru has always had better engines available to put in the STi but never has.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My order is selected as well, and I plan on keeping it unless the new STI for some reason matches everything on my wish list and even then it would still be a toss up. I had my name on a 2016 sti limited when they were being ordered but ended up canceling it because there was really no difference between that and my 04 sti besides 150k less miles..
Did you get to drive the '16 STI? Yes, the engine is the same, but stock for stock, the suspension and overall chassis and steering is MUCH improved over any other STI. I was amazed by it, actually. It was just like driving my 06 on KW Variant 3s on my rebound and compression settings I set for street use with upgraded swaybars on their stiffest setting. If you give the STI the Sport Cup 2s that the RS has, I guarantee they will also pull over 1g on the skidpad.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
New motor, better fuel economy, better interior, hatchback.

Still would have a hard time going back unless the RS gets **** reviews.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get to drive the '16 STI? Yes, the engine is the same, but stock for stock, the suspension and overall chassis and steering is MUCH improved over any other STI. I was amazed by it, actually. It was just like driving my 06 on KW Variant 3s on my street compression setting with upgraded swaybars on their stiffest setting. If you give the STI the Sport Cup 2s that the RS has, I guarantee they will also pull over 1g on the skidpad.
Yeah I actually drove a few of them ( I took my name off after a few weeks, and losing my job) and I did like them. In the end I couldn't justify spending that much money on the same drivetrain that will hold a stage 2 pro tune but no more without spending some serious money in motor work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah I actually drove a few of them ( I took my name off after a few weeks, and losing my job) and I did like them. In the end I couldn't justify spending that much money on the same drivetrain that will hold a stage 2 pro tune but no more without spending some serious money in motor work.
Yeah I do understand that. The RS has a compelling overall package for the same money, which is why my order is in for one too :) ... for now

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did you get to drive the '16 STI? Yes, the engine is the same, but stock for stock, the suspension and overall chassis and steering is MUCH improved over any other STI. I was amazed by it, actually. It was just like driving my 06 on KW Variant 3s on my rebound and compression settings I set for street use with upgraded swaybars on their stiffest setting. If you give the STI the Sport Cup 2s that the RS has, I guarantee they will also pull over 1g on the skidpad.
Yeah I took one for a brief test drive as well as a 16 WRX. I have no complaints on the suspension or diff setup and can easily tell the difference between the STI and WRX's suspensions and the way they steer as well. Can't say the same for acceleration though. Both cars are fast, but I actually thought the WRX felt quicker due to the FA20's fat torque curve that pulls down low and the lack of turbo lag (the EJ257 has pronounced turbo lag and performs best in the mid to upper RPM range). I also happen to prefer the interior of the Focus as a whole compared to the Impreza.

I'm not much of an engine modifier so I'm looking for impressive stock figures, which the Focus RS has. Also, the issue remains of the EJ's long term reliability with or without modifications.

The STI is a great car, as is the WRX, but the $10,000 dollar premium isn't as wholly worth it in this case since the STI isn't noticeably quicker and the WRX still comes with AWD. We'll await the comparison tests, but I remain confident in all the abilities of the Focus RS.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For me, along with an updated power plant the STI would have to come with standard features similar to the RS. Multimode dampers and exhaust settings are things both the RS and Golf R offer which very much appeal to an older, more mature crowd. Sure I want it to perform well on a track but if I can drive my mother in law around in a car and not have her complain about the exhaust noise or suspension, it's that much better.

·
Registered
520 Posts
For me, along with an updated power plant the STI would have to come with standard features similar to the RS. Multimode dampers and exhaust settings are things both the RS and Golf R offer which very much appeal to an older, more mature crowd. Sure I want it to perform well on a track but if I can drive my mother in law around in a car and not have her complain about the exhaust noise or suspension, it's that much better.
I'd laugh hysterically if someone rode IN MY CAR and complained about stuff like that. If it bothers you so much when you're not even driving, please hand over 40k in cold hard cash and I'll buy a Lexus ES350 so your whiny entitled ass is satisfied when I drive you around lol.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had an order on a 2013 hatchback STI several years ago (sheesh, it really was 4 years ago... doesn't seem that long). That car was just about everything I wanted in a car, but I pulled the plug mainly due to some financial concerns at the time. Since then we are all (or so it seems by reading this thread) aware of how the WRX/STI has moonwalked into its present form :(

For me to consider going back to the subaru camp (and I've wanted a wrx/sti since I first saw the 2.5rs brochure in '98 when my mother bought an impreza) subaru would need to actually listen to its enthusiast base (something Ford has nailed with Ford Performance). Subaru makes a great car for the vast majority of its clientele camp, but there are folks in there left wanting, left feeling neglected with a, what... 12 year old motor, thats roots are over 20 years old? They should have a special branch as does Ford, and crank out some truly special wrx/sti's and I'd personally be all over a performance forester wagon.

As far as bullet points for what exactly I'd require to switch right this moment;
-Completely new from the ground up engine, its time subaru, do this.
-Decent electronics, I don't think any stock system is the bees knees but subaru is notoriously stuck at the bottom of the barrel here.
-HATCHBACK! 'nuff said
-Please for the love of god get rid of the fake carbon fiber interior
-The seats are "OK" but lack bolstering for the enthusiast base they aim to sell to (they actually remind me of leather versions of the Fiesta ST base seats, A LOT)
-Bring back something to look at, the current wrx/sti's look so bland and boring, there is no character in their styling, its like they took an impreza and put in about as much effort as a corolla S' styling queue's to make it stand out

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My Friend has the 2016 Sti sport tech it is a really nice car, The chassis is super stiff, it feels great, Side Vehicle Detection System is a nice addition, I think the interior looks and feels good with quite a few soft touch leather wrapped pieces. Love the center dash display!
The only thing I would want is to get rid of that turbo lag, maybe the updated engine would take care of that. I also was extremely close to pulling the trigger on the Blue sti sport tech, If one was on the Lot I may be temped but with a 6 month wait I'm holding on to the RS order for now, Ask me again in June....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Having been in both a FoST and a WRX sedan I wouldn't really classify the two as being in the same size category - the WRX felt much larger and bulkier, and that alone would be enough to sway me against the car. Objectively, it is 8" longer, but not any wider (it sure felt wider to me though). It's also a bit heavier.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
better MPG , minimum 23 in town, 30 highway
more Hp
quieter inside
better looks
hatchback
AWD
faster to 60 than RS
6-speed manual
Hand brake
exhaust with quiet, medium, loud modes
homelink
drift mode
launch control
adjustable shocks/dampers
recaro - heated/cooled seats
blu tooth
high level audio system - voice interface
HID head lights with auto adjust, swivel, bi-xenon, washers
Fog Lamps - LED
All LED lights for inside, turn signals, braking, DRL
rain sensing windshield wipers
at least 35" rear leg room
5-door only
Bright red color similar to Ford's Race Red
memory seats
rear camera
Dynamic Cruise Control
Blind spot monitoring
cross-traffic monitoring
brake collision detection -auto braking
lane keep assist/lane departure waring
HUD
infrared night time vision
navigation with voice interface
Apps for audio
rear window wiper
auto dimming rear view mirrors
moonroof
radar detector/jammer stealth option
additional performance gauges- acceleration, Gs, 0-60 time, etc.

Cost similar to RS - base $34K loaded $40K - but slightly less
18" and 19" wheel size options

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why didn't they come out Hatch back for 2015 and 2016? Because they are testing the marketing with the FA engine.
Just like some of you guys, i tried both WRX and STI 2015. On paper, STI is faster, in the driver seat it is the WRX. The old engine put of higher power , but like rambo3500 said FA has the better torque curve which gave you the speed right off the beginning at 2000 RPM. It gives a big burst from the FA engine while the EJ engine is high RPM continuously speeding up.
My guess is Subaru will have hatch back STi with the New engine soon. Why would they spend money to to make hatch back on the old engine when they are going to replace it (They should be replacing it).

Things that can do to make me swap to STI from RS: 4K cheaper or same price with a more innovative stuff than drift mode.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
52 Participants
400AndRising
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing