Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What I mean is, is the integrated exhaust manifold holding those big HP guys back? Are there any mods (eg. porting) that they are doing to the manifold to accompany the larger turbos (in your example - EFR's)?
I've read that it actually flows really well

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm sure the RS will handle 400-425 bhp mark easly and without compromising the longevity of the rest of the drivetrain. I'm not abusive, but I do like to haul ass so I'm sure I'll get more than 100k out of it. It's when we hit the big numbers (550whp or more) thats when we start to really worry about things breaking. I too am glad people will build the RS with big hp numbers so I know how much is too much.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Easy, I do not like any of those cars. I really wanted to buy a Toyota that could do this (I've always owned Toyotas) but as we know, Toyota doesn't make anything worth a **** now. I also want 4wd and the Focus drivetrain really interests me. This will be the first American vehicle that I've ever bought.

LOL, why would you start with a 4 pot? There are way easier ways to build a 500whp beater, e.g., LSx F-body, 5.0 Fox-body, etc., etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Easy, I do not like any of those cars. I really wanted to buy a Toyota that could do this (I've always owned Toyotas) but as we know, Toyota doesn't make anything worth a **** now. I also want 4wd and the Focus drivetrain really interests me. This will be the first American vehicle that I've ever bought.
LOL, perhaps you should buy a retired NASCAR Camry.

·
Registered
306 Posts
GTE...

What exactly do u plan on doing with any, or all of that horsepower? I find most of your comments over the top.

Why are u even worried about a focus "shortblock" and what would you do with one..? You have made wild comments, but not explained why you want bigger turbos...

Not to knock you, but you didn't even know the RS comes with a beefed up mustang engine and will be tunable to about 425ft-lbs. Have you read anything about this engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
FoRS is a German built car, so it may not count other then being owned by America?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Actually direct injection system would be very handy on all manufacturers cars. Unfortunately for everyone else they patented it and won't sell it.

Everyone else is having to find ways to cope with carbon build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is quite a passive/aggressive baiting comment.

The RS does not come with a beefed up Mustang engine, it comes with stronger sleeves, which I happen to forget out of all of the RS information that I have read over the past few weeks, I don't see that as a big deal nor was it worthy of this passive/aggressive comment of yours. If you are referring to a different head, I specifically mention short block, although I did also ask if the turbos are interchangeable because I was curious if the current mustang eco boost adapter is known to work on the RS head/exhaust manifold flange, if not I can tig weld my own if need be. No one has mentioned anything about a different rotating assembly and I have not read that from Ford, but if I missed that I'd be appreciative of a link.

Because the 2.3EB makes the amount of torque it does at a such a low rpm for a 4 cylinder, where the piston spends significantly more time near TDC (compared to a higher rpm) and because I want to upgrade to a better spooling yet also higher flowing turbo like a 7163, I'm concerned that it will fold the rods over at some point and this will be my daily that I drive to and from work. I'd rather just build a short block, then ruin one and then build a short block anyway.

As for my comments being "over the top" or "wild" and what I plan on doing "with any or all of that horsepower", why should I acknowledge (any more than this) such condescending nonsense?

GTE...

What exactly do u plan on doing with any, or all of that horsepower? I find most of your comments over the top.

Why are u even worried about a focus "shortblock" and what would you do with one..? You have made wild comments, but not explained why you want bigger turbos...

Not to knock you, but you didn't even know the RS comes with a beefed up mustang engine and will be tunable to about 425ft-lbs. Have you read anything about this engine?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Funny you say this, I keep telling myself this too, although I'm not a huge fan of the quality of a lot of German cars either. Hopefully they meet in the middle and produce something beautiful with the RS.

FoRS is a German built car, so it may not count other then being owned by America?

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is quite a passive/aggressive baiting comment.

The RS does not come with a beefed up Mustang engine, it comes with stronger sleeves, which I happen to forget out of all of the RS information that I have read over the past few weeks, I don't see that as a big deal nor was it worthy of this passive/aggressive comment of yours. If you are referring to a different head, I specifically mention short block, although I did also ask if the turbos are interchangeable because I was curious if the current mustang eco boost adapter is known to work on the RS head/exhaust manifold flange, if not I can tig weld my own if need be. No one has mentioned anything about a different rotating assembly and I have not read that from Ford, but if I missed that I'd be appreciative of a link.

Because the 2.3EB makes the amount of torque it does at a such a low rpm for a 4 cylinder, where the piston spends significantly more time near TDC (compared to a higher rpm) and because I want to upgrade to a better spooling yet also higher flowing turbo like a 7163, I'm concerned that it will fold the rods over at some point and this will be my daily that I drive to and from work. I'd rather just build a short block, then ruin one and then build a short block anyway.

As for my comments being "over the top" or "wild" and what I plan on doing "with any or all of that horsepower", why should I acknowledge (any more than this) such condescending nonsense?

Really..? :confused:

The RS has stronger sleeves and a bigger turbo, better cooling, etc... to most that qualifies as being "beefed up" to handle more horsepower. Anyone here will agree with my statements.

I don't care what you want to do, I asked for what reason and purpose. You still have yet to respond.
I asked what a Focus short block will do for you, or why you need one. You still have yet to respond.

Please qualify "better spooling"... for what reason, more PSI? Quicker boost?

You are passive aggressive, not me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really..? :confused:

The RS has stronger sleeves and a bigger turbo, better cooling, etc... to most that qualifies as being "beefed up" to handle more horsepower. Anyone here will agree with my statements.

I don't care what you want to do, I asked for what reason and purpose. You still have yet to respond.
I asked what a Focus short block will do for you, or why you need one. You still have yet to respond.

Please qualify "better spooling"... for what reason, more PSI? Quicker boost?

You are passive aggressive, not me.
Of course it does, for someone building a short block not sure you could do more built than upgraded sleeves besides recast the block. Then you are a real manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was under the impression that the shortblock in the RS was already fully forged with thicker sleves than the standard 2.3EB. I also think they it is very well balanced beyond normal standards.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You may be right, I've only read that the cylinder liners would be stronger and the other components outside of the combustion chamber would be different, but nothing to indicate that the engine was beefier aside from the cylinder liners.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
image.jpg I wonder if mountune will offer a flex fuel kit. It would be nice to put some E85 in and the ECU adjust the map accordingly. I really hope I'm not setting myself up for dissapointment, but ford is kinda sellin this thing as the end all be all hot hatch. Just talking about the shortblock gets me all hot and bothered compaired to the STi shortblock. Thr RS is really a blend of the best stuff from the evo and STi and hopefully none of the negatives.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
View attachment 1043 I wonder if mountune will offer a flex fuel kit. It would be nice to put some E85 in and the ECU adjust the map accordingly. I really hope I'm not setting myself up for dissapointment, but ford is kinda sellin this thing as the end all be all hot hatch. Just talking about the shortblock gets me all hot and bothered compaired to the STi shortblock. Thr RS is really a blend of the best stuff from the evo and STi and hopefully none of the negatives.
If you need reassurance then start following the Ecoboost Mustang, they have been having great success!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.