Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the same shortblock as the Mustang?

Are the turbos interchangeable, do we have detailed pics of the engine in the Focus chassis?

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is. Has a larger turbo and beefed up internals though. Won't really need to swap anything from the ecostang to the RS.

You would already have the better engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the block the same? I want to build a motor and it'd be nice to get a shortblock from a totaled 2015 Mustang if possible, if not I will have to order one for the Focus I guess.

Where did you read about beefed up internals for the block? Can you post a link?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unique powertrain for increased output
Ford’s EcoBoost technology powers Focus RS and nearly every new Ford vehicle. The specially engineered 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine has levels of power and torque that translate into impressive acceleration when combined with the exceptional all-wheel-drive traction.

Projected to produce well in excess of 315 horsepower, the custom unit shares its fundamental structure with the all-aluminum 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine in the all-new Mustang, but has been significantly upgraded through a comprehensive package of design changes.

Increased output is generated by a new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger with larger compressor that delivers significantly greater airflow, along with a much bigger intercooler to maximize charge density. Engine breathing is enhanced through a less restrictive intake design, and a large-bore high-performance exhaust system with an electronically controlled valve in the tailpipe that helps optimize the balance of back pressure and noise output.

The cylinder head is produced from an upgraded alloy material capable of withstanding higher temperatures, and is mounted on a more robust head gasket with improved thermal capability. The cylinder block employs stronger high-tensile cast iron liners.

Engine cooling also has been given the highest priority, with engineers creating additional space within the front of the vehicle to house a significantly larger radiator pack that provides the level of cooling demanded for hard circuit use.

Meticulous calibration work ensures that the power unit delivers excellent low-end responsiveness with a powerful mid-range pull, climbing to a free-revving top end up to a maximum rev limit of 6,800 rpm.

The six-speed manual transmission has been optimized for the enthusiast driver with a shorter gear lever to deliver faster and more accurate shifts. Both the transmission and the clutch have been upgraded with stronger components to cope with the engine’s increased torque output.

With its high-efficiency EcoBoost design featuring direct fuel injection, twin independent variable camshaft timing, advanced turbocharging and Auto Start-Stop as standard, the engine also delivers significantly improved fuel consumption.
:confused:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/02/03/all-new-ford-focus-rs.html

·
Registered
591 Posts
From a Car and Driver article.

The 2.3-liter engine has been substantially altered from the version that powers the Mustang, with a new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger and a bigger intercooler, along with a revised cylinder head and stronger cast-iron cylinder liners.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I was specifically referring to the short block, I recalled the head, turbo and external upgrades.

This tells that the block is different, although I would be using Darton sleeves anyway ... I'll probably just order a Focus shortblock though, whenever it becomes available after the car is released.

The cylinder block employs stronger high-tensile cast iron liners.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Thanks, I was specifically referring to the short block, I recalled the head, turbo and external upgrades.

This tells that the block is different, although I would be using Darton sleeves anyway ... I'll probably just order a Focus shortblock though, whenever it becomes available after the car is released.
What is your goal?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock short block? 500whp/correlating torque. Built short block? Whatever the turbo I choose will support, most likely the 7163 or 8374.

I also do not feel like building the trans, so if the trans becomes a fuse at a certain torque level, I'll stop there. This car is going to be my beater.

What is your goal?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Stock short block? 500whp/correlating torque. Built short block? Whatever the turbo I choose will support, most likely the 7163 or 8374.

I also do not feel like building the trans, so if the trans becomes a fuse at a certain torque level, I'll stop there.
The way this engine is built I think 500whp is a good safe bet for reliability and being realistic. The trans in the RS is stated to be beefed up a little as to what I'm not sure, no one has specifically stated as is the clutch.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The way this engine is built I think 500whp is a good safe bet for reliability and being realistic. The trans in the RS is stated to be beefed up a little as to what I'm not sure, no one has specifically stated as is the clutch.
What is the trans code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts

I also do not feel like building the trans, so if the trans becomes a fuse at a certain torque level, I'll stop there. This car is going to be my beater.
LOL, why would you start with a 4 pot? There are way easier ways to build a 500whp beater, e.g., LSx F-body, 5.0 Fox-body, etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ide just go with a GT and mod to 550 whp. Modding a 435 hp engine to your goals is much safer than modding a 345 hp engine to 550 hp. Plus the mustang tranny in the 5.0 can handle that power

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Anyone hear if the integrated manifold will be refined for the larged turbo (other than just a twin scroll design).

Have people found the restrictive limit with the manifold flow on the current stang 2.3L?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyone hear if the integrated manifold will be refined for the larged turbo (other than just a twin scroll design).

Have people found the restrictive limit with the manifold flow on the current stang 2.3L?
The big HP ecoboost Mustang guys are going with EFR turbos and losing the Honewell. So the point is moot.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Sweet. I'm glad there are some of you out there that are willing to push the power limits of these cars.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The big HP ecoboost Mustang guys are going with EFR turbos and losing the Honewell. So the point is moot.
What I mean is, is the integrated exhaust manifold holding those big HP guys back? Are there any mods (eg. porting) that they are doing to the manifold to accompany the larger turbos (in your example - EFR's)?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
71 Replies
20 Participants
stDan
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing