Ford Focus RS Forum banner
4821 - 4840 of 4840 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Next shot at reducing coolant Temps. Tb crash bar and a track only front bumper thats been opened up.

Also found a carbon, heated wheel in ontario. George at raptorracing.ca was nice enough to ship it out for me!

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
The cooling limitations when tracking the RS have yet to solved. Who's going to create a proper ducting system for the rad and intercooler? Get out yer angle grinder

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The cooling limitations when tracking the RS have yet to solved. Who's going to create a proper ducting system for the rad and intercooler? Get out yer angle grinder
What an interesting read. I know a all of the local C5 and C6 track rats could talk about are ways to get better cooling.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i did have success with my bumper modification. It was a cooler day (25c) but only peaked at 117c (limp mode at 120c) on 5 laps where i could only do 1 warm up and 1 hot lap before overheating before. I have been in discussion with Alex from Stratified (who happens to race his WRX or RS with me) about raising the limp mode coolant temp to 130c and pulling timing when its over 120c.

here is my unfinished result.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Unfortunately my next issue is that i have blue smoke coming out of the drivers side hood vent on hard high rpm shifts... no power loss though. I believe with all of the air flow mods there is a low pressure zone there (battery is in trunk as well) and i have oil hitting the turbo or DP, not sure of anything else hot enough to burn oil. Also no smoke from the tail pipe.

Good news is that i was able to beat my personal best at my local track but almost 1.5 seconds!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
For what it’s worth (if anything) I also had some sort of smoke or condensation coming out the front edge of the hood on the driver side.

This was on a stock RS though with only the ETS full intake system at that time, on a relatively hot day after a quick shower had poured on track if I remember the events correctly.

Dont think the smoke was blue though, more towards clear/white, never lost coolant or had any major issue since, this was 70k+ km and 5 years ago too.

Perhaps you just happened to open up enough surface area to make it visible now!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For what it’s worth (if anything) I also had some sort of smoke or condensation coming out the front edge of the hood on the driver side.

This was on a stock RS though with only the ETS full intake system at that time, on a relatively hot day after a quick shower had poured on track if I remember the events correctly.

Dont think the smoke was blue though, more towards clear/white, never lost coolant or had any major issue since, this was 70k+ km and 5 years ago too.

Perhaps you just happened to open up enough surface area to make it visible now!
It started white and then went very blue. Didn't happen last track day when I had the hood done, but hadn't opened up the front grille yet.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
995 Posts
i did have success with my bumper modification. It was a cooler day (25c) but only peaked at 117c (limp mode at 120c) on 5 laps where i could only do 1 warm up and 1 hot lap before overheating before. I have been in discussion with Alex from Stratified (who happens to race his WRX or RS with me) about raising the limp mode coolant temp to 130c and pulling timing when its over 120c.

here is my unfinished result.
View attachment 362835

Unfortunately my next issue is that i have blue smoke coming out of the drivers side hood vent on hard high rpm shifts... no power loss though. I believe with all of the air flow mods there is a low pressure zone there (battery is in trunk as well) and i have oil hitting the turbo or DP, not sure of anything else hot enough to burn oil. Also no smoke from the tail pipe.

Good news is that i was able to beat my personal best at my local track but almost 1.5 seconds!
Probably leaking from the connection to the intake tube from the valve cover and dripping down onto the heat shield.

·
Registered
740 Posts
After disabling the OE TPMS (back in 2017) I added a 3rd-party one today. The cost is 50-ish and it gives you an idea of the temperature in addition to the individual pressures and the VBAT. It has upper and lower pressure alarms, and a fast pressure decrease alarm. That’s 30.5psi front and 27.6psi rear after driving normally for a while. Ambient temp was around 22-23°C. 2.3-2.4bar hot at the front and 2.1-2.2bar at the rear should be ideal while driving harder. We’ll see…
Mobile phone Telephony Mobile device Communication Device Portable communications device

·
Premium Member
532 Posts

. . .

We are very lucky to track in mostly cool temps in BC!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Installed the Ford Performance catback exhaust today after work. The stock exhaust had the bypass mod made bhich I had redone two years ago and which broke again recently. Original owner had it done with cheap material and poor workmanship which probably contributed to its eventual failure! Cant blame the shop that fixed it two years ago, they had warned me the fix wouldn't last forever…they do great stuff for nice tuner/drift/luxury sportscars such as Ti custom exhausts which I cant afford!! I’m sure they did their best at fixing it back then.

Pretty happy with it so far overall. I’m mostly relieved that my valve motor and J9 remote control still both work so I can control the valve position during early morning cold starts. Also happy to find out it sounds pretty similar to the OE exhaust with bypass at idle and normal driving which is what I was looking for to avoid pissing off the neighbours!!! Sounds more agressive under load which is fine to me and doesnt drone at all.

Will need to get a good tuner/exhaust shop to try to have it fit better though, LH tip protrudes more than RH tip from rear valance, probably just needs to have the joints slipped a bit further into each other, couldn’t achieve this on jack stands laying under the car. And the way Borla fitted the valve (about 45deg up instead of near horizontal like OE exhaust) I cant position the LH tip high enough to match the RH tip. I truly hope it gets better when the tip protrusion is fixed somehow. Otherwise the valve motor make contact with the exhaust hanger bracket when trying to center the tip in the opening. I can only think of oneway to fix this for good at the moment: cut valve, rotate to proper orientation and weld back ☹ I dont really understand the reasoning from Borla on this one not to have it in the same orientation though!

Wont be 100% satisfied until the tip alignment is fixed. But at least for now it functions properly and sounds good (unlike my broken bypasses OE exhaust).

Pictures of old tired bypassed exhaust below! Only have one bad picture of the tips alignment from when I got home. Will take pictures in daylight as well as the valve motor clearance issue later and create a dedicated thread for help if needed if I cant find how to fix it.

Automotive tire Grey Synthetic rubber Tints and shades Sculpture

Automotive tire Sculpture Art Statue Tints and shades

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Helmet Personal protective equipment Eyewear Gas Font

Wheel Tire Tread Vehicle Automotive lighting

Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Gas

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Will need to get a good tuner/exhaust shop to try to have it fit better though, LH tip protrudes more than RH tip from rear valance, probably just needs to have the joints slipped a bit further into each other, couldn’t achieve this on jack stands laying under the car. And the way Borla fitted the valve (about 45deg up instead of near horizontal like OE exhaust) I cant position the LH tip high enough to match the RH tip. I truly hope it gets better when the tip protrusion is fixed somehow. Otherwise the valve motor make contact with the exhaust hanger bracket when trying to center the tip in the opening. I can only think of oneway to fix this for good at the moment: cut valve, rotate to proper orientation and weld back ☹ I dont really understand the reasoning from Borla on this one not to have it in the same orientation though!

Wont be 100% satisfied until the tip alignment is fixed. But at least for now it functions properly and sounds good (unlike my broken bypasses OE exhaust).
that's exactly why i won't buy any system that doesn't have the adjustable tips. even if it's sitting in the correct factory position...it's still not where i want it to sit (up & in)..not sticking out at all.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Installed the Ford Performance catback exhaust today after work. The stock exhaust had the bypass mod made bhich I had redone two years ago and which broke again recently. Original owner had it done with cheap material and poor workmanship which probably contributed to its eventual failure! Cant blame the shop that fixed it two years ago, they had warned me the fix wouldn't last forever…they do great stuff for nice tuner/drift/luxury sportscars such as Ti custom exhausts which I cant afford!! I’m sure they did their best at fixing it back then.

Pretty happy with it so far overall. I’m mostly relieved that my valve motor and J9 remote control still both work so I can control the valve position during early morning cold starts. Also happy to find out it sounds pretty similar to the OE exhaust with bypass at idle and normal driving which is what I was looking for to avoid pissing off the neighbours!!! Sounds more agressive under load which is fine to me and doesnt drone at all.

Pictures of old tired bypassed exhaust below! Only have one bad picture of the tips alignment from when I got home. Will take pictures in daylight as well as the valve motor clearance issue later and create a dedicated thread for help if needed if I cant find how to fix it.

View attachment 362964

View attachment 362965

View attachment 362963

View attachment 362967

View attachment 362966

View attachment 362968
I have the FP exhaust and my left tip sticks out further than the right too, assumed it was just a shoddy install on mine. It was already on when I bought the car so didn't give it any more thought.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I have the FP exhaust and my left tip sticks out further than the right too, assumed it was just a shoddy install on mine. It was already on when I bought the car so didn't give it any more thought.
Thanks I suspect previous owner must have done it best he could on the ground as I did and never bothered having it properly fitted afterwards. After looking at mine for a week I feel the LH tip is fine and it’s actually the RH tip that is too far in/up. Feels like the hangers are forcing it in this position and the mountune bushing/hanger probably doesnt help.

An exhaust shop or tuner shop will likely fix it easily, might need a slightly longer rubber support too which they should have handy if that’s the case.

I’ll have them fix it best they can when I have my appointment to do brakes pads/rotors soon. Feels like no cutting/welding will be required after all! If they can at least have it sit at the same height I could live with the different protrusion out the rear valance.

Still love the sound though, with the valve closed cold starts are not worse than OE bypassed exhaust with valve opened which I had previously. WOT feels much louder independent of valve position which I like! Pops and tunnels/under bridge are amazing too! Need to get in an empty underground garage some day 😁

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks I suspect previous owner must have done it best he could on the ground as I did and never bothered having it properly fitted afterwards. After looking at mine for a week I feel the LH tip is fine and it’s actually the RH tip that is too far in/up. Feels like the hangers are forcing it in this position and the mountune bushing/hanger probably doesnt help.

An exhaust shop or tuner shop will likely fix it easily, might need a slightly longer rubber support too which they should have handy if that’s the case.

I’ll have them fix it best they can when I have my appointment to do brakes pads/rotors soon. Feels like no cutting/welding will be required after all! If they can at least have it sit at the same height I could live with the different protrusion out the rear valance.

Still love the sound though, with the valve closed cold starts are not worse than OE bypassed exhaust with valve opened which I had previously. WOT feels much louder independent of valve position which I like! Pops and tunnels/under bridge are amazing too! Need to get in an empty underground garage some day 😁
Let me know how it goes! Yeah the exhaust sounds great for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,332 Posts
Included on my maintenance plan.........but if it was out of pocket $140 + tax.

The $140 includes all the inspection and health report

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got the 3D printed variant of the little cnc shop license plate bracket. Nice piece for a lot less money.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Air gun

·
Registered
163 Posts
Spent about 3 hours applying Griot's ceramic all-in-one with my new Griots G9 DA.

When I first bought the car 3 years ago I had it paint corrected when I applied PPF to the front. I've basically only done hand washing since then with spray on wax every few months. The car didn't have a ton of swirling but had some scratches that I was able to mostly get out with a one step with Griots Ceramic All-in-One wax and an orange correction pad after a decon wash and claybar.

Looks pretty good and feels super slick.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

4821 - 4840 of 4840 Posts