Ford Focus RS Forum banner
4701 - 4720 of 4746 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I didnt like how the DMG one mounted and constantly was rattling.
yeah when i 1st installed my dmg...it rattled over every little bump...because the 2 rear bolts were left in hanging position and the nuts will actually loosen and the tray will drop.
so i got some rubber filled grip nuts :LOL:....and now those don't loosen out. and then tighten them using a small 10mm wrench and 10 mm socket so that there's no bounce in the rear side.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
yeah when i 1st installed my dmg...it rattled over every little bump...because the 2 rear bolts were left in hanging position and the nuts will actually loosen and the tray will drop.
so i got some rubber filled grip nuts :LOL:....and now those don't loosen out. and then tighten them using a small 10mm wrench and 10 mm socket so that there's no bounce in the rear side.
That’s exactly how mine is setup also. 1/4in stainless button head torx bolts with nylon locknuts and 1.5in OD washers under the plate to help slide it out during removal/installation.

I had two of their plate for 4+ years and no rattles!

·
Registered
943 Posts
First oil change with the FuMoto valve. On the plus side hot oil didn’t go shooting across the bay, but dang it’s slow… took around 30 minutes to stop draining.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
14 Posts
Today I washed my 2016 Nitrous Blue RS2 for the last time. Sadly I'll be selling her this week. She's been a fun and faithful companion all these years, but unfortunately I've outgrown her at this point in my life. She was as practical as she could be for as long as I could make it work and justify it with my wife, but sadly, priorities change, and baby seats and all the associated gear take up space...

On the upside, my 13 month old son happens to really enjoy playing with HotWheels cars, and it just so happens that his favorite one is the matching blue Focus RS that was previously on the bookshelf in my living room next to a 1:16 scale Otto Focus RS model, also in matching blue. While I never intended the HotWheels car to be a "toy" to actually be played with, my brother in law saw it there one day and handed it to my son. I was a bit upset at first, since a week later I was using a toothpick to clean cupcake fragments out of the tiny wheel spokes, but seeing how happy it makes my son to play with a HotWheels version of his dad's car was worth the sacrifice. At least I planned ahead and bought two spares back when they were widely available.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just wrapped up a 600mi road rally across the sierras. As much as I complain about Cali, boy this state is beautiful

RS didn't miss a beat. Reached the peak at around 8k+ feet and the car kept on pulling thanks to the boost while all the NA cars were huffing and puffing. Really felt like I had a "cheater car".

The Ohlins handled the gnarly rough stuff as good as I would have expected them to (still crashed, but never felt "disconnected"). The 17" braids with chorded PS4Ss did well too, apart from the 2 times I got rocks stuck between the caliper and the wheel. Boy it made a racket, you should've seen the looks I got when rolling into those little towns

Now the rally withdrawals are starting to kick in... Back to reality

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Just wrapped up a 600mi road rally across the sierras. As much as I complain about Cali, boy this state is beautiful

RS didn't miss a beat. Reached the peak at around 8k+ feet and the car kept on pulling thanks to the boost while all the NA cars were huffing and puffing. Really felt like I had a "cheater car".

The Ohlins handled the gnarly rough stuff as good as I would have expected them to (still crashed, but never felt "disconnected"). The 17" braids with chorded PS4Ss did well too, apart from the 2 times I got rocks stuck between the caliper and the wheel. Boy it made a racket, you should've seen the looks I got when rolling into those little towns

Now the rally withdrawals are starting to kick in... Back to reality

did u use a high altitude tune as well?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
did u use a high altitude tune as well?
Nope, just whatever was already there. I think I was running the Stratified tune last I checked, or maybe it was JST...no idea lol

·
Registered
980 Posts
Finally got my RDU tune done.

As a major FYI for anyone doing this who has the Nutron Pro Moto Device. This must be removed before this install, @Chubey and i were struggling as it would disconnect in the first step of the programming. Tried different cables, different laptops etc. Finally remembered i had the Nurton device connected in the back with a splitter and it installed right away. Wasted a couple hours to get to that point though!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Car washed for the HRE Open house tomorrow:

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Nephew's friend Also asked for a wash.

And what did I find after I washed it? Rock chips! 😭

I was able to mend it with the OE touch up paint.

The price of a daily.

Reactions: morbid and big jim

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
And what did I find after I washed it? Rock chips! 😭
I was able to mend it with the OE touch up paint.
i rescind my previous judgement/statement i made about the RS fragile paint. i remember my 2009 clio 200rs had FAR MORE rock chips on the hood/bumper after 5 years of ownership. i think our quad coat will shed the little rocks without chipping. but the larger ones will take a large chunk of paint. like you said...fill em in with the touch up paint.
i have probly 10-12 chips that i have to touch up. as opposed to like a hundred i had on the renault (didn't even bother with those).

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I got the whole front of my car and key areas PPFed up.

But you know Murphy and his law.

Two were at the rear passenger door, so not even a mud flap would help and one was at the rear driver fender, where a very small sliver that does not have PPF 😢.

I already texted my PPF/ceramic guy, which became a close friend.

No one would be able to find the rock chips, except for me. I know where they are....... 😱

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Well, I think my first search for the "what did you do to" resulted in me posting to another version of this thread...

Anyway. 6 years today since purchase. Took it to the dealer for Oil change w/ filter, coolant flush, new tires, new accessory drive belts, new spark plugs. I installed new air filter and new wiper blades.

I'm also finally installing the littlecncshop license plate bracket. I bought it used and the plate to bracket screws are a little long, ~4mm to be precise. So I've 3D printed 4 ABS spacers to put between the plate and the bracket. Also, with the shape of my state's plate this is better as the curve of the plate is suspended away from the bracket.

Peripheral Input device Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device

I'm not so happy with the work from the shop though. When the tech was starting the car I told him everything needs to be done buy the book (FSM). Well, after he finished the work I asked what he torqued the spark plugs to, he said he didn't know. I followed up if he had used a torque wrench, "No". So I let him know I'll be looking over all the work, his reply was "I know nothing is loose". Well, I get home and start going over the car. COP bolts are taking 15 Nm to break loose, for bolts with a 8 Nm spec that were just installed that day, that is too much. And the center 2 and 3 were difficult to back out after they initially break free. #3 has brass threads on the bolt that were stripped from the insert in the valve cover. Not looking good. Set my torque to 12Nm for the spark plugs, 22, 32, 42, 52, 62, 72, 82, 92--- it finally breaks free. 2-4 were 82, 32 and 52 when they broke loose. I get that some additional force many be needed after a heat cycle to get them to loosing, but it should never be 766% of the spec it should be torqued to on a spark plug that was installed only a few hours before.

Handwriting Tool Office supplies Rectangle Font

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Well, I think my first search for the "what did you do to" resulted in me posting to another version of this thread...

Anyway. 6 years today since purchase. Took it to the dealer for Oil change w/ filter, coolant flush, new tires, new accessory drive belts, new spark plugs. I installed new air filter and new wiper blades.

I'm also finally installing the littlecncshop license plate bracket. I bought it used and the plate to bracket screws are a little long, ~4mm to be precise. So I've 3D printed 4 ABS spacers to put between the plate and the bracket. Also, with the shape of my state's plate this is better as the curve of the plate is suspended away from the bracket.
I'm not so happy with the work from the shop though. When the tech was starting the car I told him everything needs to be done buy the book (FSM). Well, after he finished the work I asked what he torqued the spark plugs to, he said he didn't know. I followed up if he had used a torque wrench, "No". So I let him know I'll be looking over all the work, his reply was "I know nothing is loose". Well, I get home and start going over the car. COP bolts are taking 15 Nm to break loose, for bolts with a 8 Nm spec that were just installed that day, that is too much. And the center 2 and 3 were difficult to back out after they initially break free. #3 has brass threads on the bolt that were stripped from the insert in the valve cover. Not looking good. Set my torque to 12Nm for the spark plugs, 22, 32, 42, 52, 62, 72, 82, 92--- it finally breaks free. 2-4 were 82, 32 and 52 when they broke loose. I get that some additional force many be needed after a heat cycle to get them to loosing, but it should never be 766% of the spec it should be torqued to on a spark plug that was installed only a few hours before.

yup...you're rolling the dice; even when letting a so called "reliable shop" perform simple routine maintenance procedures on your Precious.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Painted and re sticked my RS badge for the front. Before and after

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Where did you get the carbon inlay from? I'm guessing you painted the silver outline with black?
Looks really good 👍

·
Registered
269 Posts

I ordered a month ago :/ If ford can’t get parts this next recession is gonna hit hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I ordered a month ago :/ If ford can’t get parts this next recession is gonna hit hard.
Yikes! What was this for? I hope it's not for the trans rebuild. I'm scheduled with them next month for one.

Reactions: SUBAFST

·
Registered
980 Posts
Where did you get the carbon inlay from? I'm guessing you painted the silver outline with black?
Looks really good

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

4701 - 4720 of 4746 Posts