Ford Focus RS Forum banner
4681 - 4700 of 4746 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Decided to give the RS some TLC this long weekend. Wash, oil change and brake fluid flush for my upcoming 300mi road rally around the sierras. Decided to rotate the wheels and... Yikes!

This is what you get when you daily on track alignment (-3 deg camber, 1/8" toe-out) lol. Inner shoulders on the fronts were down to the chords. Threw them to the rears for now (rearward cross) since the rears looked good and just gonna send it!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Decided to give the RS some TLC this long weekend. Wash, oil change and brake fluid flush for my upcoming 300mi road rally around the sierras. Decided to rotate the wheels and... Yikes!

This is what you get when you daily on track alignment (-3.5 deg camber, 1/8" toe-out) lol. Inner shoulders on the fronts were down to the chords. Threw them to the rears for now (rearward cross) since the rears looked good and just gonna send it!
Do you have any of the poly bushings on the control arm? I'm noticing some excessive wear on the inner shoulder also, although not as aggressive wear since I'm only at 2.75 deg and 0 toe. I hope removing some play on the control arm improves this or I'll have to change alignment to and from events.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Do you have any of the poly bushings on the control arm? I'm noticing some excessive wear on the inner shoulder also, although not as aggressive wear since I'm only at 2.75 deg and 0 toe. I hope removing some play on the control arm improves this or I'll have to change alignment to and from events.
Nope, no poly bushings but I've been curious about them, particularly the powerflex rear A-arm "anti-lift kit". Would be curious to see what you find by upgrading that.

Considering I haven't been able to go to that many trackdays these days (kids are getting older and with covid restrictions lightening up, they're back to having all sorts of weekend activities) I'll probably reel it back to a more street-focused alignment.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Nope, no poly bushings but I've been curious about them, particularly the powerflex rear A-arm "anti-lift kit". Would be curious to see what you find by upgrading that.

Considering I haven't been able to go to that many trackdays these days (kids are getting older and with covid restrictions lightening up, they're back to having all sorts of weekend activities) I'll probably reel it back to a more street-focused alignment.
For sure, that upgrade is on next on the list so I'll report back. If you've ever seen the Superpro vid, there's so much play at the rear A-arm with the OEM rubber bushing.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
For sure, that upgrade is on next on the list so I'll report back. If you've ever seen the Superpro vid, there's so much play at the rear A-arm with the OEM rubber bushing.
Wow! No, I had not seen that video. I can totally see even having a slight bit of toe-out can cause that arm to deflect so much more and "drag" the inside of the tire while going straight. I wonder how involved that install would be. Will have to scope things out next time I'm under the car.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Wow! No, I had not seen that video. I can totally see even having a slight bit of toe-out can cause that arm to deflect so much more and "drag" the inside of the tire while going straight. I wonder how involved that install would be. Will have to scope things out next time I'm under the car.
Yes, couple that with the fact that this car is so nose heavy and it starts to make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
971 Posts
I didn't do mine myself, and as a spectator, I'm glad I didn't. My mechanic pulled the outer shell off, which oil started flowing out and making a mess. Then he had to cut multiple layers until he could get to the inner bushing. He pulled that off, and it was under so much pressure that it shot like 6' away. So be careful when doing that!

I'd also agree that you might as well do the front bushing while your a-arm is removed from the car.

Also, what size tires are you running? 255's (and less) should be fine, but anything wider might contact the front of the liner when turning, since that rear bushing pivots the wheel forward about 1/2".

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I didn't do mine myself, and as a spectator, I'm glad I didn't. My mechanic pulled the outer shell off, which oil started flowing out and making a mess. Then he had to cut multiple layers until he could get to the inner bushing. He pulled that off, and it was under so much pressure that it shot like 6' away. So be careful when doing that!

I'd also agree that you might as well do the front bushing while your a-arm is removed from the car.

Also, what size tires are you running? 255's (and less) should be fine, but anything wider might contact the front of the liner when turning, since that rear bushing pivots the wheel forward about 1/2".
Sounds like something I should leave to the pros...lol

Agreed, doing the front bushing is a obvious "might as well while you're at it". Will probably move my vorshlag camber plates to the +2 caster setting too since I will need an alignment anyway.

Tire sizing shouldn't be an issue since I'm not planning on running anything wide. Currently running a 245/45/17 and don't have any plans going wider (specially since the next size up of PS4S's is a 265).

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
971 Posts
Sounds good! My Vorshlag plates on +2 did seem to pivot the wheel back away from the liner a little bit too. You'll have max caster!

I shifted my subframe back as far as it would go to give my tires a gap with the liner, and lost about 1/2 of the caster gains from that anti-lift bushing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What kind of prices are you getting on wheel rash fixes? I haven't had them fixed before and I've got a good scuff on one wheel.

i'm looking to do the same...with a professional detailer. i want to get that engine bay clean like @GmpaJimj . polish out any scratches...2 stage ceramic coat...fix the new wheel rash...and touch-up the black plastic trim bits on the exterior (just noticed how faded these are the other day).

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
drove the $h!t out of it today (autobahn)...from Wiesbaden-Bonn-Wiesbaden (250 miles/A3). the new v2 front dampers and v1 rear dampers are much noticeably better under 120 mph conditions. the car is composed (with DSC / eibach springs / eibach rear sway bar / T rear strut brace / T RDU brace).

only 1 car bruised my feelings today (newer model grey 911 Carrera S). i can live with that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Tried to rinse off some of this bug junk from 2,600 miles of highway.

Knocked some of it off. Will need some elbow grease when I get a chance.

Car Tire Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Also, used it to haul a US General 5 drawer mechanics cart from Harbor Freight. The box just barely fit. I got black to match my other box, but the grey one looks awesome. It’d be perfect for a stealth grey owner.
Never used one of these tool boxes, but reviews seem mostly positive and the carts on display seemed decent. So I’m giving it a try.

Material property Font Gas Automotive tire Tints and shades

Font Output device Rectangle Parallel Machine

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
971 Posts
@RSt~n~peace I've had that same tool box for about 20 years now. The carriage bolts are (or at least were) super cheap, and I popped the caps off some during assembly, and after about 10-15 years the lid struts gave out.. which really isn't too bad. Other than the cheap chinesium carriage bolts, it's held up really well! Even the drawers still slide smoothly.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Decided it was time to retire my ratty hood insulation (which I was using to cover the hood vents to keep water and dirt from getting thru) and install the Verus-specific drip trays I've had for a couple years now.

Gotta say, not entirely happy with em. The way they were designed, the slots for mounting were not perfect and I had to take an hour or so adjusting them, filing and bending, to get them to fit. Even then, I ended up not being able to bolt up one corner since they seem to not have accounted for the flanged hardware their vents come with. It's like they didn't even do a test fit on these. Should have either made the trays slightly narrower or taper to accommodate for the wider hardware. Oh well, I guess it's wedged in there good enough that it hopefully won't move...

4681 - 4700 of 4746 Posts