Ford Focus RS Forum banner
4261 - 4280 of 4340 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,464 Posts
Dropped her off at the dealer to get the PTU halfshaft seal replaced under warranty before it expires next month.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design

I'm also having them pressure test the coolant system. It looks like I'm having to top off the reservoir about every 2500 miles. It's odd because I can't visually see any leaks in the lines, and I don't have any symptoms of coolant getting into the engine (ie. white smoke out the exhaust, rough idle, etc). Car runs great like it always has. I just don't want to be sitting on a ticking time bomb, and have this thing grenade right after my warranty goes out next month...

• Headgasket recall/replacement was done at 10,200 miles in Jan 2018.
  • This is what the coolant level was at 29,400 miles in May 2020 (19,200 miles after recall done):
Hood Cap Helmet Sports gear Comfort

I was hoping that maybe there was just some air in the lines from when they did the recall work. So I topped it off and started monitoring the level.
  • Level at 32,100 miles in April 2021 (2700 miles after topping off):
Hood Vehicle Car Gas Trunk

• Level Today at 34,500 miles (2400 miles after topping off):
Helmet Hood Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Not sure if I want them to find something wrong or not at this point. Haha!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dropped her off at the dealer to get the PTU halfshaft seal replaced under warranty before it expires next month.
View attachment 356243
I'm also having them pressure test the coolant system. It looks like I'm having to top off the reservoir about every 2500 miles. It's odd because I can't visually see any leaks in the lines, and I don't have any symptoms of coolant getting into the engine (ie. white smoke out the exhaust, rough idle, etc). Car runs great like it always has. I just don't want to be sitting on a ticking time bomb, and have this thing grenade right after my warranty goes out next month...

• Headgasket recall/replacement was done at 10,200 miles in Jan 2018.
  • This is what the coolant level was at 29,400 miles in May 2020 (19,200 miles after recall done):
View attachment 356244
I was hoping that maybe there was just some air in the lines from when they did the recall work. So I topped it off and started monitoring the level.
  • Level at 32,100 miles in April 2021 (2700 miles after topping off):
View attachment 356245
  • Level Today at 34,500 miles (2400 miles after topping off):
View attachment 356246
Not sure if I want them to find something wrong or not at this point. Haha!
Hopefully the revised PTU intermediate seal fixes that leak. I’ve had the new seal on my car for about 3 years now.
I’m curious where that coolant is going. Please post what the dealership finds.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
@Si2RS , good luck on the coolant search! I noticed mine can vary day to day... some days it's higher than the prior, but on average does lower. I don't think it's nearly as quick as yours though. I had lost enough in 10k miles that 1/2 a bottle of Waterwetter topped it off. I hadn't seen any smoke, nor smell of the exhaust but I rented a combustion gas tester for the coolant system, and that never changed color. So I'm just going to ignore it unless it gets much worse, if there's no point stressing about it every day.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,464 Posts
Hopefully the revised PTU intermediate seal fixes that leak. I’ve had the new seal on my car for about 3 years now.
I’m curious where that coolant is going. Please post what the dealership finds.
I'm hoping so too regarding the seal. Weird thing is I had a PTU leak on the drivers side when I got my head gasket recall done, so I had them fix that too. The invoice for that listed the revised part number, but clearly the old part was still used (or never actually replaced) on the half shaft side. I'll also post what the dealer says about the coolant "leak". They're gonna fix the PTU first and then do the coolant pressure test either tomorrow or Thursday. I'm also very curious since I honestly can't tell where it's going. Kind of makes me want to get an extended warranty before it's too late in case it becomes an issue.
@Si2RS , good luck on the coolant search! I noticed mine can vary day to day... some days it's higher than the prior, but on average does lower. I don't think it's nearly as quick as yours though. I had lost enough in 10k miles that 1/2 a bottle of Waterwetter topped it off. I hadn't seen any smoke, nor smell of the exhaust but I rented a combustion gas tester for the coolant system, and that never changed color. So I'm just going to ignore it unless it gets much worse, if there's no point stressing about it every day.
Part of me doesn't want to worry about it either. Especially since I don't really have any symptoms of imminent catastrophic failure...yet... Maybe it's because I've autocrossed my RS a few times this year? I would think pushing the engine that hard and getting it that hot would definitely make any issues evident, but who knows... If I knew it wasn't an issue, I'd be fine with just topping it off every now and then.
@Si2RS I'm taking mine in on Friday for the same issue before my warranty is up as well. We'll see if they want to fight about it but I hope not... I'm an early '16 build so no revised anything yet.
This is actually the 2nd time I brought it to the dealer for this. The first time was a couple months ago. I noticed the leak while changing my oil, and I made the mistake of wiping a lot of the mess up with a towel so it didn't drip all over the undertray, still leaving the fluid around the half shaft seal so they could see it was leaking. Well, the dealer said they couldn't replace it under warranty because it was only "weeping," not leaking. So I had to drive it around a little bit for it to leak enough... Even the service advisor thought it was stupid, but that's how Ford operates. So I dropped it off this morning and got the call about an hour after I left saying they were gonna replace it. Then, they'll do the coolant pressure test after that's fixed.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Brought it in to my dealer for P2096/P1450 CEL diagnosis. Based on other posts could be an oxygen sensor/ catalyser and potential purge valve of some sort!!

Tech took the car in half an hour ago, service advisor said they needed ‘’at least’’ an hour to give the car back to me!

Will report back what they blame to be faulty once I find out. Hoping it will be covered under my extended warranty and parts will be available sooner than later🤞

Those two CELs combined seem to have a huge impact on fuel consumption too, usually averaging around 12L/100km now up to 14-15L/100km for the last few weeks/month!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Replying to my own thread!!

Getting a new catalyser…should be here on Monday! Dealer found another code I didnt get access to and one completely different (I blame my cheap scanner for the difference), for the records CELs where P0420/P08B2/P2096.

Funny thing…having this little yellow wrench in the cluster for a fraction of a second once in a while at startup and revs climbing sightly letting off the clutch in neutral. Had the neutral sensor replaced two years ago under warranty with exact same symptoms. Asked them to check this while it was in the shop….And they simply blamed my short shifter lever for it 🤣 Well the advisor asked if my shifter was modified, perhaps they were only blaming the knob?? Anyways doesnt bother anything really so I didnt fight it for now!

Edit: so code P08B2 is most likely the neutral sensor again!! Cant believe they actually had it diagnosed and didnt even plan for a fix! I told them all about being the same symptoms and error messages as last time! Guess I’ll be calling tomorrow to have this added to the work order for when they fix the cat!

P08B2 Neutral Position

Sensor "A"/"B"
Correlation

Sets in the PCM when the gear neutral position sensor "A" indicates a different
gear than gear neutral position sensor "B".

Brought it in to my dealer for P2096/P1450 CEL diagnosis. Based on other posts could be an oxygen sensor/ catalyser and potential purge valve of some sort!!

Tech took the car in half an hour ago, service advisor said they needed ‘’at least’’ an hour to give the car back to me!

Will report back what they blame to be faulty once I find out. Hoping it will be covered under my extended warranty and parts will be available sooner than later🤞

Those two CELs combined seem to have a huge impact on fuel consumption too, usually averaging around 12L/100km now up to 14-15L/100km for the last few weeks/month!

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I had that p08b2 code. Both connectors for the sensors looked kind of gross, so I removed them, cleaned both ends of both sets, plugged them back in and haven't had the code since. It's been about 8k miles... so that seemed to fix my issue.
where are these sensor connectors? i've had same code for a while. i thought it was my lightweight battery.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
where are these sensor connectors? i've had same code for a while. i thought it was my lightweight battery.
One is on the side of the shift tower, and the other is on the front of the transmission.. on the side facing the radiator. They're both easily accessible with the air filter out.

I wasn't experiencing any adverse affects (that I was aware of), but I still wanted to try getting rid of the code.

Try blowing them out with compressed air, and spray some electronics cleaner in them.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
One is on the side of the shift tower, and the other is on the front of the transmission.. on the side facing the radiator. They're both easily accessible with the air filter out.

I wasn't experiencing any adverse affects (that I was aware of), but I still wanted to try getting rid of the code.

Try blowing them out with compressed air, and spray some electronics cleaner in them.
Thanks for the tip I’ll definitely try that before paying anything for having it replaced! The cat is covered the emissions warranty so I didnt have to pay my 100$ deductible! I guess they will charge it if I ask them to replace this sensor though its worth a try to save 100$! As yousaid no adverse effect…maybe the auto start/stop is affected but I always turn it off anyways!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Interesting. I too have been getting this code every now and then and have just been clearing it or ignoring it (and chucking it up to my light weight battery). I'll have a look this weekend and hit those connectors with a little deoxit.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
527 Posts
I replaced the steel ETS intake with the aluminum Depo one, and wrapped the last section in DEI gold tape. Hopefully that helps a little with my summer charge temps (especially at slow speeds and idle). It's my first time wrapping anything with tape, so it's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out! I might wrap the rest later, but the first section was my goal.... and I almost used up the whole 2" x 15' roll.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Main reason why I went with Roush intake since its plastic.

But from what I read the change in charge temps should be negligible.

4261 - 4280 of 4340 Posts