Ford Focus RS Forum banner
4161 - 4176 of 4176 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
More parts for the RS. Needed a skinny one that didn't interfere with the bike rack.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Are those the bbs from an evo X? I’ve been keeping my eyes out for those for my STi, but the only set locally is painted green and asking $2500 😂😂😂

Yep, from my old X. Only had 7,000 miles on them when I took it off and put an after market one.

Green BBS....... not unless I'm driving an incredible hulk car........ for $2,500?! Yeah, no.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yep, from my old X. Only had 7,000 miles on them when I took it off and put an after market one.

Green BBS....... not unless I'm driving an incredible hulk car........ for $2,500?! Yeah, no.
Correction….. $3700 cad LOLOL

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
So I will share a tale that will make all of you chuckle, or at least shake your heads.

A while back I put Nord lock washers on my Whiteline endlinks because I was continuing to have problems with them loosening up just enough to make noise. While it seemed to fix the normal noise that the endlinks developed, shortly after I put the Nords on, the car developed a different kind of noise that was more of a creak or pop. It generally came from the same area & I assumed it to be the endlinks. Of course I was super pissed, so I yanked them off & put the stock ones back on. To my dismay, that did not cure the problem.

Over the ensuing weeks I tried to track down the noise thinking that it had to do with a spring or damper on the passenger front side, & even took it to a friend's & put it on his lift to specifically check that, but no dice. I looked at the Mountune RMM thinking that maybe it needed grease. Nothing. Tonight I decided to put a wrench on every single bolt under there that I could get at, & low & behold the 2 bolts that connect up the front of the jacking rail on the passenger side were a little loose. Tightened them up, now it's quiet with no creaks or pops. What a roundabout way to find the problem, sheesh, but man am I happy to find the issue. Soooooo happy. I was starting to worry about the steering rack.

So today I fixed that. Yay! Over the weekend I also checked out the resin on the undertray that I did a couple of years ago & it's still holding up great. So I decided to pull off the panels that run down each side under the car & gave them the same resin treatment. I just got those mounted up tonight as well. And the last thing I did was to get the tires/wheels changed over for the autocross event this weekend. The Whiteline endlinks are sitting on my bench & I'm really not sure if I'm going to put them back on.

I love it when I can turn a wrench & fix a problem, even if it's potentially one that I created by not properly torquing those bolts in the beginning (maybe, maybe not ???). Those kinds of fixes are the best. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Tonight I decided to put a wrench on every single bolt under there that I could get at, & low & behold the 2 bolts that connect up the front of the jacking rail on the passenger side were a little loose. Tightened them up, now it's quiet with no creaks or pops. What a roundabout way to find the problem, sheesh, but man am I happy to find the issue. Soooooo happy. I was starting to worry about the steering rack.
Can you take a pic? I've been troubleshooting a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
So I will share a tale that will make all of you chuckle, or at least shake your heads.

A while back I put Nord lock washers on my Whiteline endlinks because I was continuing to have problems with them loosening up just enough to make noise. While it seemed to fix the normal noise that the endlinks developed, shortly after I put the Nords on, the car developed a different kind of noise that was more of a creak or pop. It generally came from the same area & I assumed it to be the endlinks. Of course I was super pissed, so I yanked them off & put the stock ones back on. To my dismay, that did not cure the problem.

Over the ensuing weeks I tried to track down the noise thinking that it had to do with a spring or damper on the passenger front side, & even took it to a friend's & put it on his lift to specifically check that, but no dice. I looked at the Mountune RMM thinking that maybe it needed grease. Nothing. Tonight I decided to put a wrench on every single bolt under there that I could get at, & low & behold the 2 bolts that connect up the front of the jacking rail on the passenger side were a little loose. Tightened them up, now it's quiet with no creaks or pops. What a roundabout way to find the problem, sheesh, but man am I happy to find the issue. Soooooo happy. I was starting to worry about the steering rack.

So today I fixed that. Yay! Over the weekend I also checked out the resin on the undertray that I did a couple of years ago & it's still holding up great. So I decided to pull off the panels that run down each side under the car & gave them the same resin treatment. I just got those mounted up tonight as well. And the last thing I did was to get the tires/wheels changed over for the autocross event this weekend. The Whiteline endlinks are sitting on my bench & I'm really not sure if I'm going to put them back on.

I love it when I can turn a wrench & fix a problem, even if it's potentially one that I created by not properly torquing those bolts in the beginning (maybe, maybe not ???). Those kinds of fixes are the best. :)
Good stuff! A number of lessons there, mostly determination fueled by getting POed enough!
I once had a ‘64 Olds Cutlass that had a squeak that was worse than water drip torture. Like you, if it meant disassembly to the frame, I was committed, Fail!
Took it to the garage, head hung low. Got it back...no squeak. No explanation could be gleaned from service.
Sometime later while washing the car, I noticed a tiny piece of plastic wedged between the left front fender and the firewall. 🤦Very ghetto, very effective!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
So many.dramas with those Whiteline endlinks makes me wonder if the whole shi7show with them is even worth the effort??

Reactions: 320icar and nwnerd

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
So many.dramas with those Whiteline endlinks makes me wonder if the whole shi7show with them is even worth the effort??
Exact reason why my whiteline endlinks are still sitting BNIB on my work bench...

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Can you take a pic? I've been troubleshooting a similar problem.
Not easily, unfortunately. The 2 bolts that I'm referencing are underneath the side trim panel. I might be able to describe it though. There is a cross brace that runs from side to side under the car that sits right in front of the start of the driveshaft. That crossbrace disappears under each side panel at each end of it, & the bolts that were loose were the very last 2 at the end of the crossbrace on the pasenger side where the end of the jacking rail connects. You'll have to remove the panel to get to it.

I have the Steeda rails & you can see the bolts in one of the pics in the installation instructions on this page:
555-5208_focus ST jacking rails BOLT IN.pdf (steeda.com)

Worst case, pull both of those panels along with the one under the engine & put a wrench on everything. :/

Exact reason why my whiteline endlinks are still sitting BNIB on my work bench...
Yeah, I hear you. To be fair, this specific problem wasn't related to the endlinks, but I'm sure not in a hurry to put them back on.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Versus diffuser in process
Man, having a lift and a support stand must make that install sooooo much easier. I just reinstalled mine solo on jack stands recently and it was not fun. On the plus side, having a "rotund" figure sort of helped with the belly service as a 3rd hand to hold it up

·
Registered
218 Posts

Finished. :) definitely felt a little different driving on the hwy. mpgs on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
New Fast Wheels FC04 18x8 in Matte Bronze. Wrapped in Michelin PS4S 235s.

Weighed the old Forged OEM 19's against the new combo. Lost 8lbs per corner. 32lbs of rotating mass GONE.

I considered doing 18x9's with 275s, as its been done, but for a daily driver, it just didn't make sense. Waste of money.

When I do a track set, I'll do probably 19x9's to cut down on sidewall flex, and go with a 275 wide R compound tire.

Reactions: SUBAFST

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man, having a lift and a support stand must make that install sooooo much easier. I just reinstalled mine solo on jack stands recently and it was not fun. On the plus side, having a "rotund" figure sort of helped with the belly service as a 3rd hand to hold it up
Yea honestly now I go to this place “Garage Yourself” and use the lift and tools. Jackstand life was over for me in My teens

4161 - 4176 of 4176 Posts