·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts
Reactions: big jim

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I finally got an intake! It arrived this afternoon & after a lot of scraped knuckles, swearing, & a sore back, it's done. I just took the car for a spin & am really sure that any improvement in throttle response is all Placebo Effect, but I sure like the way it cleaned up the engine bay & the slight increase in noise from the engine bay is enjoyable.

I already had the AEM dry filter so I bought the Depo Racing intake without filter. Looks great & is a good value IMO, & there's a 5% coupon floating around the forums that made it an even better deal.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I finally got an intake! It arrived this afternoon & after a lot of scraped knuckles, swearing, & a sore back, it's done. I just took the car for a spin & am really sure that any improvement in throttle response is all Placebo Effect, but I sure like the way it cleaned up the engine bay & the slight increase in noise from the engine bay is enjoyable.

I already had the AEM dry filter so I bought the Depo Racing intake without filter. Looks great & is a good value IMO, & there's a 5% coupon floating around the forums that made it an even better deal.
Do you have a SSC installed as well?

Post a pic !

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Okay twist my arm lol. I don’t have an ssc, no plans for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess that's the only regret install I have, the SSC.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Is that right? What do you regret about it?
I got a BNIB Roush intake for $180 2 months after I got my RS. The filter that came with it is a dual cone type.

I first installed the airbox and the air filter a night before a Vegas trip.

I heard all the woosh and the spool and it was fun...... heard a bottle whistle at low RPM.

So when I installed the pipe, I installed the Cobb SSC.

It cancelled all the intake sound!

I then put a silicone elbow, still as quiet as OE.

I am hoping after I install the other air induction parts I have I get those sounds back or else that SSC will come off.

Reactions: nwnerd

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Ah gotcha. One reason that I went with the AEM filter was the closed end (no whistle), & I wanted to maintain the stock airbox if I could. I did a ton of reading about all of it because I didn't want to end up on a slippery slope of adding more parts because of the dreaded whistle.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
If the Cobb SSC cancelled all the intake sounds, I wonder if the Mountune one is different then. I have the Mountune one, and I had some good intake sounds with the ETS intake + their included K&N filter in the stock RS air box. The top was unsealed as I don't have a hood liner.

I have since gotten the K&N kit that replaces the RS air box lid with their sealed one, and it came with a filter with an open end (optional end seal included). I think with the end open it has more intake sounds than with the other setup. This is also with the Mountune recirc valve -- no Turbosmart BOV or anything.

3981 - 4000 of 4040 Posts