Ford Focus RS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 3482 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Today I got started on fixing up my summer set of wheels. I have one that needed some repair after an incident on the freeway late last fall, & another that had a few pretty bad rock chips (I'm guessing). So I got started today with the sanding & bondo, & I'm pretty happy with how that has turned out. I think they'll finish up nicely.

Since I have a little time before they'll need to go on, I can afford to take my time on them. The 2k paint that I ordered won't be here for another week-ish anyway.
Curious what paint you went with.
Krylon Color Max, satin black, matches my forged perfectly.
The only problem is, wheel cleaner is a no-no. It’s to strong an eventually tends to dull.
I‘m still toying with the powder coat idea. ($300ish / 4)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Curious what paint you went with.
Krylon Color Max, satin black, matches my forged perfectly.
The only problem is, wheel cleaner is a no-no. It’s to strong an eventually tends to dull.
I‘m still toying with the powder coat idea. ($300ish / 4)
Sure, no problem. I don't have the OEM wheels though, I did the swap to 18" at 20 miles. (Having lived with a 19" setup on a daily driver in the past, I just thought that 19" on this car was not a good solution as a DD.)

I did a ton of reading on this, because my experience with typical off the shelf rattle can paint is exactly what you've experienced - not durable at all. What I settled on is this stuff:

Spray Max 2K Satin Black

The 2K paint is catalyzed. It has a little knob on the bottom of the can that you use to puncture a bladder inside of the can that then releases hardener into the rest of the space in the can where the paint is. So it's the same paint that body shops use, just in a can, & from what I've read it's much more durable than typical rattle can stuff. The down side is that the pot life is only about 48 hours & it's bit more expensive than regular wheel paint.

I have 2 sets of wheels - 1 for auto-x (Konig Dekagrams in satin black) & 1 for street (Sparco Assetto Gara in matte graphite), & both sets have wheels that need repair. I'm starting on the Konigs since I'm hoping that this paint will be a close enough match to get away with doing the 2 wheels that need repair without touching the other 2. I'll get those done & new auto-x tires mounted, then move on to the other set since that will be a bit more complicated in terms of matching the color.

I also thought (& continue to think) about powder coating. I'm really hesitant about that kind of commitment though, because not only is it far more expensive, when a wheel gets damaged in the future, it isn't something that you can then repair yourself. At the very least, I'm quite sure that the auto-x wheels will require repair again since the pavement at our venues is really abusive.

This is all an experiment & I have no idea how this will hold up over time. But generally I favor products that have a sweet spot of durability vs ease of use for me vs cost. Spray Max also has 3 sheens of clear coat in 2K (matte, satin & gloss) that I'll probably try when I do the Sparcos. From what I've read a lot of people use standard wheel paint as a base color, then top it with the 2K clear with good durable results. Unless this is a spectacular failure, I'll probably do the Sparcos in one of the popular graphite options then top it up with one of the 2K clear options.

Hope that helps & sorry for the novel.

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Got a flat driving home. I was able to limp it to my sister's house.

I picked up my portable air compressor and inflated to 46psi and drove it home.

I'll get the tire fix this weekend (hopefully its fixable).

·
Premium Member
570 Posts

on the + plus side...it's good luck to get a flat tire. so you got that going for you.

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I’ve got the 4 leaf clover and the “find a penny, pick it up, all the day you’ll have good luck”, but a flat tire?
My neighbors thought I was crazy the other day when I was spreading roofing nails on our street. After I explained the flat tire “good luck” potential to them and the arriving officer, they all agreed with me and the officer even invited me to go with him to explain it to some friends of his who, oddly enough, were all wearing white coats. ??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not really a new update, but this popped up on my Google photos "1 year ago" highlights. Just wanted to celebrate and cherish all the wonderful memories we had together...
Oh you have the BPV? Did you hear less compressor surge? Better throttle response? I was looking at the Go fast bits BPV that claims 30% better response and no noise from compressor surge.

16 Ford Focus RS Grey
Eibach Sways /Adamtuned Auxfuel Kit/ Cobb AdamTuned/ Dsc Sport Controller/ Radium PcV CC./ K+N air filter /Tema 4x4 30mm spacer/massive sway endlinks//Full Race IC// Tune Plus Turbosmart IWG/ E76/ NGK LTR7BHX (95605) 1-step colder Ruthenium Spark Plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Oh you have the BPV? Did you hear less compressor surge? Better throttle response? I was looking at the Go fast bits BPV that claims 30% better response and no noise from compressor surge.
Noticed no difference what so ever lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Noticed no difference what so ever lol.
ty so much.

16 Ford Focus RS Grey
Eibach Sways /Adamtuned Auxfuel Kit/ Cobb AdamTuned/ Dsc Sport Controller/ Radium PcV CC./ K+N air filter /Tema 4x4 30mm spacer/massive sway endlinks//Full Race IC// Tune Plus Turbosmart IWG/ E76/ NGK LTR7BHX (95605) 1-step colder Ruthenium Spark Plugs

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts

Took the tire off the car to find the leak.

Found it:

I think it's fixable.

I also noticed that two of my nuts are bulging.............

My friendly neighborhood dealer must over torqued the hell out of it when the services my car last month. Same time they scratched lug nut holes.

I knew the nut will bulge eventually so I can't blame them too much.

I guess it's time for me to install my black nuts....... after I get the leak fixed tomorrow. 😉

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's no good when your nuts are bulging

·
Registered
108 Posts
Installed UPR cc vent with GFs sock. Went out for a drive to see what it would look like after one of my top speed runs. It was like 630 am. 63 degrees F. Went to “Mexico” or the local sun pass I use. Hitt top of third and shift to forth and the coolant line blew off. All the coolant was gone in seconds. I cut the clamp off with some cutters I found but had no water. Florida hwy safety guy said he saw my car on the cameras and topped me off. Put on clamp after going to advance auto parts. Fun morning. Might install steeda trans cable bushing and steeda pedals.

16 Ford Focus RS Grey

3421 - 3440 of 3482 Posts