Ford Focus RS Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Maybe a used Panamera Turbo. The prices on those are nice right now. 500hp+ AWD Wagon life baby!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
As long as you friend limits themselves to two kids that'll suit them well. Why the hell did they delete a seat?
Funny enough, he's actually looking into a rear seat swap from a regular civic hatch since they are expecting a 3rd kid later this year. You loose the fancy upholstery, but with kids back there, it gets wrecked anyway.

I think that if Ford hadn't stopped making cars in the US except for the 'Stang, I would have looked into either trading in or selling the RS. But now I feel about the RS the way I felt about my old turbo MR2: there will never be another car like this, at least for a long time.
I felt the same way. I got the car because it was the first RS to come our way, but now it maybe the last for a while.

Maybe a used Panamera Turbo. The prices on those are nice right now. 500hp+ AWD Wagon life baby!
Wow, been looking into Lexus's for a while now since I've been looking for a larger car to DD and haul the whole family around. Didn't realize that I can get low mileage Panameras for the same price now!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Funny enough, he's actually looking into a rear seat swap from a regular civic hatch since they are expecting a 3rd kid later this year. You loose the fancy upholstery, but with kids back there, it gets wrecked anyway.

I felt the same way. I got the car because it was the first RS to come our way, but now it maybe the last for a while.

Wow, been looking into Lexus's for a while now since I've been looking for a larger car to DD and haul the whole family around. Didn't realize that I can get low mileage Panameras for the same price now!
If you do that in Australia you have to get engineering certification. Way too much cost and hassle. Number of seats need to match the build plate.

·
Registered
348 Posts
To the RS owners on this forum: Would any of you, after owning & driving an RS, go back in time & buy a Focus ST instead, if you had that option? In other words, was the RS worth the extra 12-13k for daily driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
To the RS owners on this forum: Would any of you, after owning & driving an RS, go back in time & buy a Focus ST instead, if you had that option? In other words, was the RS worth the extra 12-13k for daily driving?

For strictly a daily? Yes, I would've gone with an ST instead, a Fiesta probably if I didn't have kids, but with the stipulation that the $13k extra goes to a second "fun" rwd car like a used BRZ, Miata, s2k etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I wouldn’t go with an ST because I do a lot of track days and some auto crossing. I love the extra power and how playful the awd system is. Totally worth the extra $$ there.

If I were not doing any of that and just dailying I wouldn’t have got an RS. With stock tires it’s got a ton of grip and i really have to be doing something stupid on public roads to have fun. Snow is fun but the car is so low, I’m paranoid about going into unplowed lots. If it were just a daily I would totally take the FOST or FIST, Imho they might even be more fun as daily’s.

FWIW, my previous setup was a mini as a daily + 135i track car. If I had more time and space to work on em, I’d probably still be doing that.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Yes, but as long as it has an LSD.

Came from a Renault Megane RS265 which has that set up. It was more engaging and more fun than the FoRS, but not as fast (I beat my lap time around my favourite track by 2 seconds first session). At the limit, the FoRS is loads of fun. At anything less than the limit, it's not as engaging or fun. I think the extra weight has something to do with that too (it's about 150kg heavier than my Renault). A properly sorted light FWD car with LSD seems to beat AWD in that sense, but rarely in terms of out right pace.

So for a daily, yes, ST but with LSD or similar (civic type R or I30N - though the Hyundai is pretty heavy, whatever you have in your country that's available) I would recommend.

The new ST is available in Australia with LSD but it's as heavy as the FoRS. I wouldn't even bother taking it for a test drive.

·
Registered
442 Posts

No. Don't think I'd get the ST. Honestly, if the RS didn't come out, I'd probably be driving an F-150 or a 4runner right now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a Mini Cooper S with LSD. As a much lighter car, it was more fun around town. My old Mk3 MR2 (2200 pounds) was more fun than both. Something about really light cars is great for most driving. I went from the MR2 to a Cayman S. While the Cayman was faster (didn't even need a 6th gear), it felt like driving a tank in comparison. Never took the Mr2 on the track, but the Mini was pretty capable...just lower overall speeds. I don't need the best lap times, I'm about the best driving experience. I sold the Cayman because it didn't have LSD and braking from high speeds would cause a bit of a rear-end shimmy and one-wheel drive out of slow corners was too frustrating. The RS does pretty well...feels stable under braking and can get out of corners pretty well. It doesn't feel as planted as the Cayman...that thing was glued to the road in high-speed corners...the wider rubber probably has a lot to do with that.

No cars that are out since 2016 is better (for me) than the RS. This RS has a lot of problems, but nothing is really better since 2016 in the US. So...while I'm luke-warm on the RS, I'm not sure there's anything else I'd want. If my RS was totalled, I'd guess I wouldn't buy anything "fun" and just drive around in a boring car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What would be the benefit of an LSD on the street? I know the 2018s have one but what does it do for the car just driving to work?

·
Registered
176 Posts
What would be the benefit of an LSD in the street? I know the 2018s have one but what does it do for the car just driving to work?

With FWD it's noticeable, Street or track - with the Focus probably only that noticeable on track. I do prefer the feel of the Focus with front LSD.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts