Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
after driving it i realized everything. From why ppl hate on it to why porsche sells it so expensive. The experience is truly amazing and it begins at the very moment you sit into the driver's seat. As eager i am to test drive the c8, i know in the back of my mind that america will once again fail when it comes to interior. I know the c8 will crush the competition in numbers and records etc.....But the feeling you get inside the cabin is what matters, to me at least. And the fact that it was the most buttoned down car i've ever driven. Razor sharp. These are all just my dumbass opinions though.
And what's most amazing about modern Porsche's, is they just keep on running with no issues. Hours of track abuse in the heat, day after day. They just loose some power over time. At least that was the report I got from several instructors at at separate drive an exotic on a race track experiences in vegas. That's what's putting a Cayman in the lead over all other cars in my eyes. However, I'll probably go with a Miata, because Miata is always the answer. And cheaper. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
And what's most amazing about modern Porsche's, is they just keep on running with no issues. Hours of track abuse in the heat, day after day. They just loose some power over time. At least that was the report I got from several instructors at at separate drive an exotic on a race track experiences in vegas. That's what's putting a Cayman in the lead over all other cars in my eyes. However, I'll probably go with a Miata, because Miata is always the answer. And cheaper. Much cheaper.
You made the right choice picking the RS over the Miata. Whenever I think of a Miata, I think of this:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lol, Miata isn't "a" sports car, its "the" sports car! Spend some time behind the wheel and I bet you will agree..."Miata" is always the answer! I regret getting rid of mine, and will definitely get another at some point.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
You made the right choice picking the RS over the Miata. Whenever I think of a Miata, I think of this:
well, what if I can own both?!?! Honestly looking for a $5-10k street legal Miata to get get 10+ track days in. Focus rs wearables are relatively more pricey, and I always get full track day insurance on the focus.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For the price point, extremely happy with my RS. The only other new cars I'm potentially interested in are $10-20k higher in price - BMW M2, the new Supra.

The sad thing I've come to realize is that there are very, very few new cars that appeal to me at all, at any price. Porsches is killing it but I can't afford anything in their range anymore. The RS is a great car but it didn't have to work too hard to win my vote... very little competition.

·
Registered
326 Posts
^ That's my main problem: price point. Like you said, for a new car that's equally as exciting and performance oriented you have to spend $60-$70K to step up. GT 350, BMW M2, C8 Corvette, new Supra.
And the RS is very costly to modified once you go beyond the normal bolt-ons and decide to go big turbo. Your right back at having a $60-$70 car that won't perform as well with no warranty as the other cars I listed above.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am very happy with mine as is. I ran a louder exhaust on it for a while, but now that I'm back to stock I won't ever go back. I thought about tuning it a while ago but honestly it's at a perfect power level for the street. As I said before there is nothing else out there that checks all the blocks and is close on price.

When I've got money coming out of my ears I'll probably add something faster to my garage, but it won't be practical (dear Santa, I want a silver GT500).

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
There's a few new 2018 and 2019 GT350s that are coming near that $50k mark, for a brand new car. Debated it. Even drove one. But I felt like what I was giving up in terms of the RS's usability between AWD and a hatch back, the GT350 was not making up for in terms of performance. So I took the $3k I was going to put down on the 350, then bought a set of Volk TE37s wrapped in Toyo R888Rs :)

GT350 is a marvelous car. I loved driving it. I would not have loved to daily it, or go up to the mountains in CO even with snow tires. Or try to get a friend in the backseat. I even got it up to about 7750 RPMs in 3rd gear. Sounded amazing. COMPLETELY different feeling than the Hellcat I drove 2 weeks ago. But even the 350 didn't feel as light and as nimble as the RS.

I told the sales guy, you're not trying to sell me a car. You're trying to convince me the car is better than my RS.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I somewhat agree with your assessment of the GT350. I haven't driven one but I tailed and passed a 2018 GT350 last year on a track day in Washington. Couldn't pass him on the long straights but instantly caught up with him in the corners so he finally waved me by. They are just too long legged on a tight track to break away from a fully-bolted RS. But a track with a lot of straightaways all I'd be able to do is watch him leave me behind.
First thing I'd do if I ever bought a GT350 is re-gear from 3:70's to 4:10's or 4:30's

·
Registered
98 Posts
My RS is the first car I've had where after 2 years of ownership I'm not thinking about replacing with another car. There simply isn't anything out there these days that I can get excited about and which I can use as a DD. Sure, after hearing GT350's at full song at RSAA I fell in love with those cars, but I can't daily drive that car (in CO at least). I've always had my eye on the M2 but have never driven one, and the last BMW I drove (F30 340i) scared me the steering was so vague. A Cayman is also a fantastic car but also tough to imagine as a DD. An Alfa Guilia QF looks interesting except for the automatic and reliability. Possibly the only car I could even consider would be a Veloster N, but not sure I could do FWD again after the RS. But wow that car is getting some seriously good reviews. My wife has a Tesla Model 3 which is fast as stink, but when I want to feel like I still have a soul I'll take my RS any day over the Tesla.

So no regrets...will keep driving my RS hopefully for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
My RS is the first car I've had where after 2 years of ownership I'm not thinking about replacing with another car. There simply isn't anything out there these days that I can get excited about and which I can use as a DD. Sure, after hearing GT350's at full song at RSAA I fell in love with those cars, but I can't daily drive that car (in CO at least). I've always had my eye on the M2 but have never driven one, and the last BMW I drove (F30 340i) scared me the steering was so vague. A Cayman is also a fantastic car but also tough to imagine as a DD. An Alfa Guilia QF looks interesting except for the automatic and reliability. Possibly the only car I could even consider would be a Veloster N, but not sure I could do FWD again after the RS. But wow that car is getting some seriously good reviews. My wife has a Tesla Model 3 which is fast as stink, but when I want to feel like I still have a soul I'll take my RS any day over the Tesla.

So no regrets...will keep driving my RS hopefully for many years to come.
Haha, I was trying to get the wife to test drive a Model 3 Sleeper, but she wouldn't even entertain it. We ended up test driving a 2020 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium 2 weeks ago, she feel in love, then left with it leaving our loathed 2017 Rav4 for them to deal with. We needed a larger vehicle though, the 3 would have been a bit of a challenge in the mountains (not performance, but space for people and stuff), running errands, and with our Bernese Mountain Dog. Plus with the bikes, the RS is just more convenient. Haven't tried to put one in the 350 though. I'm sure it would be fine with front wheel off.

Exactly. Can't DD the 350. There's a grey 18 that comes with a second set of snow tires at Stevenson West in Golden. I just can't see myself sitting in I25 traffic in that car or sitting in winter ski I70 traffic in that car. Then in the summer, I'd still rather be in the twistys with the RS over the 350. Comes back to why these hot hatches have been so appealing over the years: They are phenomenal to drive punching well above their price, but don't sacrifice that much in terms of day to day usability.

Autonation Alfa (whatever the Alfa dealer up North is) was fire-saling new-but-2-year-old QFs for around $20k below sticker a few months ago. I drove one at Mike Ward down south. It was cool. But in the earlier models, the back seats didn't fold down. That's a non-starter with bikes and skis etc. Plus Alfa reliability. But that car was a hoot to drive even with that transmission.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would have to agree with a lot of the other users here. There just isn't anything else out there in the same price range that provides as much as the RS. I daily mine, and I can still take it to the track and have an awesome time. My brother had a Golf R and we swapped cars for a little bit to see what they were like. It was a lot more "high-end" feeling interior but actually kinda boring to drive.

Sure there are better cars for the track, and there are a lot more practical cars for daily use but there isn't anything else that lets me do both as well as this. The AWD comes in huge in the winter with the snow, and the hatchback can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the back. Not to mention my daughter's carseat fit in the back easily.

If I had to pick something else though I would honestly have kept my truck and just bought a cheap(ish) track toy. Something that I can pull out for track days and that's it. It'd probably be a pain to have to worry about trailering and what not though. There just isn't anything else that is all around as good as the RS for the money.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some interesting alternatives here. My RS was rear-ended pretty badly, so far up to $15k in damage, and I'm not sure I'll want to keep it when I get it back as there is a lot of structural damage. I have no clue what I would get.

On a side note, I own both the RS and a GT350. As fun as the RS is, the GT350 is almost always my choice when it comes to canyon carving. There is not much that can keep up.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Heh, if owning a 350 and an RS was an option, I would 1000% do it. Good to hear the comparison. Such an awesome car. Ford did an awesome job with it. And an amazing job with the RS.

I'm looking for a cheap track toy for 2021. Miata is always the answer, sadly. Can be had for cheap, lots of parts, easy to work on, inexpensive wearables, and can drive it to and from the track. Looking to get 5-10 track days in the RS this summer to see if it's something I want to pursue as more than just open track days. Need to also try some AutoX.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i traded my 16 mustang gt (paxton, e85, fully modded suspension etc..) and got my 18 RS about six months ago and dont regret it at all...with the mustang, yea the power is amazing but i really wanted to make the car handle better and felt like after dumping lots of money into it that it still wasnt what i hoped it would become....i chose the 18 RS bc it seemed like ford wanted to make a nice handling car with this model and bc of the revised dampers and the lsd. Also, needed a 4 door ( had first kid a month ago)

I then drove my friends manual 18 718 cayman and it blew me away. Made me realize how important midengine and weight really is. My wife has an M2 and the RS has MUCH better steering response and way less torque steer (although it does have some but not as bad as m2)....in the end i kept drooling over my experience with the cayman and hopefully in the next few yrs ill get a used one ( of course the 2020 gts will now have a 6cyl ).....but yea......porsche 718 cayman if i can do it all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
When i purchased my RS, i was closely looking at a used 2014 Mercedes C63 AMG, it was $20k (cdn) more than the RS and since it is my DD and our winters in BC can be mixed, i passed. Looking back i think i still made the right call, although that C63 was damn nice. My dad has a C63 AMG Black series and that is a very quick car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i traded my 16 mustang gt (paxton, e85, fully modded suspension etc..) and got my 18 RS about six months ago and dont regret it at all...with the mustang, yea the power is amazing but i really wanted to make the car handle better and felt like after dumping lots of money into it that it still wasnt what i hoped it would become....i chose the 18 RS bc it seemed like ford wanted to make a nice handling car with this model and bc of the revised dampers and the lsd. Also, needed a 4 door ( had first kid a month ago)

I then drove my friends manual 18 718 cayman and it blew me away. Made me realize how important midengine and weight really is. My wife has an M2 and the RS has MUCH better steering response and way less torque steer (although it does have some but not as bad as m2)....in the end i kept drooling over my experience with the cayman and hopefully in the next few yrs ill get a used one ( of course the 2020 gts will now have a 6cyl ).....but yea......porsche 718 cayman if i can do it all over.

I got to drive a 2016 Cayman GT4 a few weeks ago. It's a totally different experience driving a dedicated sports car vs. any of the compromised performance versions of regular cars.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I got to drive a 2016 Cayman GT4 a few weeks ago. It's a totally different experience driving a dedicated sports car vs. any of the compromised performance versions of regular cars.
Not sure about the 718s, but I did have a chance to drive a 918 (MY13) Cayman GTS around the hills east of Salt Lake (Snowbird, etc.) when I did the RS academy and would definitely agree. The low seating position, lightweight, RWD, high-reving, mid-engine flat 6 makes for a completely different driving experience. On the other hand, compared to my previous car (BRZ), the experience was very similar, just with more power and better materials and engineering. If I were to get a 2nd "fun/weekend" car, $ for $, I might just opt for another used BRZ in the future instead.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lol so my friend whose 718 i drove, his previous car was a brz and before that it was a miata....i totally agree that for the money the brz is awsome.

however if money was no option at all id be content with a manual 911 4s....i think im over the whole “rwd” phase. Actually, the RS is what made me appreciate AWD.

I wouldve even mentioned that id get pdk bc its awsome and really fun to drive but i know myself and i know that if those key elements arent there (clutch, stick, heel toe/revmatch, engine acoustics) then id get bored within 2 months. Again, im not dissing pdk. Its the best for track and high hp cars but just not my steelo.

Oh and i know hp becomes pointless on public roads at some point but ive come to agreement on 400hp....thats my special number.....my happy medium. Anything more is fun but useless and can become stupid and anything less just doesnt do it for me in regards to “seat of pants” (i learned that recently online) ....this is all just my opinion obvi....an idiot who loves driving cars.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts