Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you could have a do-over, what car would you get instead of the Focus RS? What about today?

I'm really not sure...a Mustang GT, GTI, or Golf R maybe. Maybe even a Fiesta ST. Today, I'd get a Veloster N probably.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are pros and cons to every car. I’d probably get an RS again. I’ve learned the car well and have enjoyed autocross with it. Any way you cut it, I would have done the same thing with any car. I doubt any other car would be “easier” or “harder” to win with at autocross . My main requirement was just to have four doors and enough space for my five year old and his things for sports, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
A Prius.

Definitely a Prius.
Classic. I laughed out loud.

I already replied to the OP's question in another thread, but in case we enjoy thinking about what others think are substitutes.
Only manual transmission options were considered, though obviously with an additional $15k to my original cost:
- Mustang GT350 ('16 would need the track package; '17+ I wouldn't need to worry about that)
- Lotus Evora S

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I play the “if my car was written off” game. If I could get one new, I’d absolutely replace my RS with another one, but I wouldn’t go used. On the short list is bmw m2, used gt350, Kia stinger. All along the same kind of line

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I would have still gone with the RS.

especially here in the States, they are no longer offering it. I can pick-up a Mustang GT, Stinger, RS3 later.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
A do over? I'd wait a few months and get a manual Chevy SS. They were only automatics when I picked up the RS.

Today? I'd start looking at used RSs if I lost mine for some reason.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
probably buy 2 or 3 nice used cars....................... ive always wanted an e36.
^Exactly what I was going to say.

I would have probably skipped the loan and bought a nice daily and a fun weekend/dedicated track car. Probably a Lexus, and E34/E39 BMW maybe even a W203/W204 Mercedes wagon as a daily and a 944S, Miata, E36, MR2, etc.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
OOO! Fun! I would probably do the RS again; but I might go with a very low mileage 16/17 RS and then maybe a FiST!?!?! Love my 18, but not sure I would pay the premium for it.

If I was going all out on 1 car, I may go M3. Wouldn't mind lowering my overall payments though, so maybe my Nissan Pulsar GTI-R and some sort of inexpensive full size SUV.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm happy with the RS, but assuming a world where it was never available to me... maybe I would've bought that first gen BMW X1 with the straight six. I almost did it last time around. They were running ~32K CPO with low miles.

·
Registered
542 Posts
An LE RS would be awesome. The only other car that has captured my attention is the Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio and that is waaaay north of my price point.

·
5,608 Posts
Nissan GTR
Still love the RS.
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Tough question.

Today.... If ford made a 4 door Coyote Mustang, I'd trade the RS in a heartbeat. Especially if they can get it all wheel drive. Throw a twin screw supercharger on it, and call it done.

Back in time 3 years ago when I ordered.... Probably would've kept my ST, and bought a 2016 fully loaded super crew F150 with a Coyote.

I like the RS. It's amazing when used as it was intended. But I feel it's wasted on everyday stuff though.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
An LE RS would be awesome. The only other car that has captured my attention is the Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifoglio and that is waaaay north of my price point.

Heh, I drove one this weekend. I liked. But even a 6k mile used 2018 was $64k. Dealer said they would do $60k, but that is still big wood for a used Alfa. Maybe if they got a bit cheaper and prove to have non-Alfa like reliability... But the SOUND! How hard that 8spd shifts! Loved it. I would love to own one one day, but know I probably would be sad when I go to sell it in a year after not being able to drive it for like 10 months... :p

This is the one I drove: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=forSaleTab_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1751&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=80202&distance=50&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined#listing=239971928_isFeatured

Disliked the color combo though. Feel like it should be red, with the black badge kit. And carbon roof. But the back seats don't fold down, which is super annoying. We pulled up a regular Giulia because we couldn't figure out how to get the rear seats down the Quadrifoglio. We quickly realized that the Q4's seats didn't fold down when we looked in the trunk of the regular Giulia.
@EvanRyan I feel you there. I try to drive my wife's Rav4 to work as much as possible; ~42mi round trip exclusively highway. 30-35mi of it is sitting in traffic. I love being in the RS and being able to just get in front of anyone with it's power. But it's such a waste of miles with the stop and go. My wife's like "you HAD to have that stupid car and you HATE driving it!" When I try to explain to her why it's a waste of miles, she doesn't quite get it. Oh well. I tried to take her for a real drive in the RS this weekend, and she hated that too.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Heh, I drove one this weekend. I liked. But even a 6k mile used 2018 was $64k. Dealer said they would do $60k, but that is still big wood for a used Alfa. Maybe if they got a bit cheaper and prove to have non-Alfa like reliability... But the SOUND! How hard that 8spd shifts! Loved it. I would love to own one one day, but know I probably would be sad when I go to sell it in a year after not being able to drive it for like 10 months... :p

This is the one I drove: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=forSaleTab_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1751&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=80202&distance=50&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined#listing=239971928_isFeatured

Disliked the color combo though. Feel like it should be red, with the black badge kit. And carbon roof. But the back seats don't fold down, which is super annoying. We pulled up a regular Giulia because we couldn't figure out how to get the rear seats down the Quadrifoglio. We quickly realized that the Q4's seats didn't fold down when we looked in the trunk of the regular Giulia.
@EvanRyan I feel you there. I try to drive my wife's Rav4 to work as much as possible; ~42mi round trip exclusively highway. 30-35mi of it is sitting in traffic. I love being in the RS and being able to just get in front of anyone with it's power. But it's such a waste of miles with the stop and go. My wife's like "you HAD to have that stupid car and you HATE driving it!" When I try to explain to her why it's a waste of miles, she doesn't quite get it. Oh well. I tried to take her for a real drive in the RS this weekend, and she hated that too.
:rofl2: My girlfriend will have nothing to do with my RS. it's not an option ever if she's going. We either have to go in her car(2018 Kia Optima) or my F150(which she's not too fond of either(It's hard to get in and out of, as well as too loud):rofl2:

Saw that Alfa you looked at. Gorgeous color. Makes me miss the color of my ST.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts