Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what other Canadians are planning on fueling their RS' with. Here in Thunder Bay all we have is a max of 91 Octane. Kind of bummed I wont be able to fill it with 93 as advertised to get the most out of the engine. I was reading that Petro Canada has a performance fuel of 94 octane but its not available in my city. A

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll go esso just for the quick earning points for those times during winter I need a car wash. They have 93 and is available all over southern Ontario. I know people like doing petro but the points just take forever to get enough for a wash. Before anyone says Esso is bad and dirty etc... I've used their 93 for a long time with no issues on my custom tuned WRX which was tuned using petro's 94. Esso is also part of the Top Tier gasoline retailers in Canada, just like petro and shell.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sunoco and shell here have 93 and it's great gas. All it will be getting

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sunoco and shell here have 93 and it's great gas. All it will be getting
Suncor (parent of Sunoco) bought out petro and converted all of its Sunoco stations in Ontario to Petro-Canada stations. It also sold some locations to Husky. Shell here doesn't have 93, unfortunately. Where are you?

Edit: Wikipedia says Suncor in Canada paid licensing fees to Use the Sunoco brand of Sunoco Inc. in the US. I always thought it was the same Sunoco but apparently Suncor operated it for Canada. Interesting.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Suncor (parent of Sunoco) bought out petro and converted all of its Sunoco stations in Ontario to Petro-Canada stations. It also sold some locations to Husky. She'll here doesn't have 93, unfortunately. Where are you?
Just outside Cleveland, Ohio

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've usually gone with Shell as it's ethanol free in Canada, but since the RS will take up to 15% ethanol I'll probably go with PetroCan's 94 for the extra powah.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am definitely putting the highest octane I can find around my area in the RS. So either 93 or 94 from shell and petro Canada. This machine deserves the blood of Christ but the fuel around here will have to do lol.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Reviving this old thread to check back in on what people are using and if you've had any issues. In my area the only 93+ is Petro Can with 94 which contains ethanol. I've also read on some forums that Petro-can 94 octane isn't a true 94 octane but it's 91 with additives, not sure about the validity of that statement. Anyways I've been ping ponging between Shell 91 and Petro 94. Tried both and they both feel similar. Wanted to see if anyone had any long term updates.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
My tuner in Calgary said Husky 94 is the best fuel they've seen here. Second best is Shell 91, and they said to avoid Petro 94 because it's garbage.

YMMV.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There are many reports/experiences saying Chevron 94 is no better than Shell 91 for performance cars. And both are far worse than the fuel 92 in Washington. Google it and you can find lots of results discussed around this topic. I had a tank of BC Chevron 94 in the past and I felt no power at all. Now I go over the border every 2 weeks to fill up the tank. I live in Richmond and it takes me less than 30min to get there. A nice Saturday/Sunday morning drive. But you'll need Nexus tho. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
In California we only get 91 as well. However, there are stations that sell 100 octane race fuel. (Unleaded of course) Some will let you pump right into the car, others will only let you pump into a gas can.

If you guys can find 100 up there, combine it with a half tank of 91 and, boom 94+

I've done this on both my tuned ST and now the RS. Works really well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Petro-Canada 94oct for me

·
Registered
478 Posts
Now this was a decade or so ago, but I was told the higher Octane rating of (at the time Sunoco) 94 was due to higher ethanol blend. I believe the RS'es fuel system can easily accomodate ethanol so no biggie there.

There apparently is an E85 station in Guelph that I've been meaning to check out to see if they really do sell E85. Would love to have a switchable tune for an E30 blend but that is a ways in the future at the moment . . .

·
Registered
214 Posts
You guys are lucky out there!

Here in British Columbia, the only 94 is from Chevron.

PetroCan and Husky pulled the plug and do not offer 94 anymore here a few years ago.

Chevron 94 has no ethanol and it is NOT better than Shell/Chevron 91 with 5% ethanol.

That's why I travel to the border to Blaine, WA to get the Shell 92 with 10% ethanol. And it makes a bit difference from my butt dyno...comparing to the BC Chevron/Shell 91, or Chevron94.

I hope we can get E30 or E85 here in BC too...if anyone knows...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts