Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m building a new house and toying with the idea of getting off the RS. Don’t want to but life happens and between the house and the fact I never get to drive it makes it easier to think about. I’m only about 20 percent thinking of selling but what’s a fair price if I do sell.
It a 16 black standard trim package. I have Adventi rims with new ps4’s 400 miles and the stock rims with about 6,000 miles on them.
Car has ceramic pro done with warranty, windows tinted, smoked tail lights, knfilter, elbow, short shifter, direct port meth injection with progressive controller from alky, full Livernois long block, full race head from lms, hpfp, runs true flex fuel, larger injectors, precision turbo, aftermarket clutch just not sure which one as I haven’t looked at the paper work, eibach springs.
I’m sure I’ve forgot things. Gets oil changed at the first 500 and every 2,000 since with AMSOIL.
It has just over 6,000 miles on it and has never been driven in winter and only maybe twice in the rain. It’s my sports car so never felt like driving in bad weather.
What do you think a far price would be. I know what’s into it but that’s way more than anyone would pay for a focus. All work has been done by LMS. Love the car so not positive I’ll sell it.
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took my 2017 rs NB RS2 package once to Carmax for a free quote with 9,xxx miles with just mountune v2 exhaust and they quote me $28,000 and I know my car was worth around $35,000 and their website had base RS going for $34k with 20k miles, so I kept the car, best route is sell to private

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the stock motor and all the stock stuff. I know you never get out what you put into it but if I can’t get more than a stock one is worth with well over 20g into it and less than 1000 miles on the build I may just swap it all back to stock and sell the motor and turbo separate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As you know, itis very rare to get much money back for mods that are installed. Unless you find that right unicorn buyer. There is an element of risk when buying someone else’s project and that fear keeps most people away from heavily built cars.

If I were you, I’d go back to stock, part out what I can, and sell the modified engine separately. You will still lose about 40% of your initial spend, but will be better off than selling the modded car as is.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I wouldn’t sell it. If you don’t get to drive as much, change that, or just deal with it. I don’t get to drive mine as much as I want to either but I’m very content. They don’t make it anymore, and anything similar that comes out will be 40k+. I drive mine in inclement weather. That’s what it is designed to do. I just don’t drive mine in heavy wind for fear of rock chips or windshield cracks. It’s my sports car also, and to me there is no replacement out there. I think long term, a number of people who have sold it are going to regret it. The driving dynamics are just spectacular.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always planned on keeping it that’s why I built it. I don’t need to sell it. Just curios as to what it could be worth. Anything modded is tough. I just thought with having lms do the co plate build and before I drove it much I could recoup some of it. I’ll prob end up keeping it and it will last for a long time with as little as I drive it. I do plan on driving it a lot more this year.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would I be out of the park to ask $40,000 for it? 38,000 for the car when new plus 25,000 plus into parts. I see some guys sell stock ones for the around 35. Not sure it they are getting it. Just thought if someone was looking to do a big turbo build they could save some big dollars. I would think any of the big builders would not be a gamble. I’d buy a tune plus built one and not think it was a gamble if it was all done by him and documented.

·
Registered
59 Posts
^You can try......

But you would have to find that ONE buyer who wants exactly what you have, AND has the money (won't be able to get bank financing for that amount for a 2016 RS.

Might just have to take the loss if you are serious about selling. The more expensive the toy, the bigger the hit.

As far as guys asking $35k, that is pretty much dealership asking for a loaded (RS2, etc) 2017.

Private sellers, if they are serious about moving their cars, generally a couple grand less.

I just sold my loaded ($42,700 MSRP) 2017 with 8500 miles for $31500. My price WAS pretty much the best on the west side of the country, as I was serious about selling, and just registration and insurance cost me a couple of hundred a month, plus depreciation continues. Took about a month to sell at that price, and you have to deal with the annoyance of lowballs, and people with no money asking if you will take payments, etc.

With the discount I got at the dealer when new ($4k under sticker, plus taxes, etc, and what little bit I put into the car, my total cost was about $43k, so it cost me $11,500 to own the car for 16 months, or just over $700 a month. Not too bad in the big scheme of things, as cars are expensive toys/ hobbies.

If you don't "need" to sell it, maybe put it up on CarGurus and here for $39,900 and drop the price $500 a month until it sells?

Because the extensive mods WILL spook off many buyers who have the cash to but it outright, will probably take a while to sell, and slowly lowering your price while you continue to enjoy the car is a good way to let the free market work itself out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had cash in hand when looking to buy my RS. Had the choice between a bone stock black and a modded grey (the color I really wanted) with a larger turbo and injectors. I close the ad out for the grey and never went back...even if yours runs perfectly people will be spooked. I wouldn't buy your modded RS for any price really, so hard to know without driving it for days and testing reliability.

Keep it and return to stock if you want to sell.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Al good points. I’m not sold on selling it cause I love the car and it is very fast. So I may just keep it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's not that no one has ever recouped anything on these built cars, but it is stupid difficult and requires the planets to align just so. It helps to be an especially desirable model of car, which the RS quite frankly is not. You can ask whatever you want for the car - may the odds be ever in your favor.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Would I be out of the park to ask $40,000 for it? 38,000 for the car when new plus 25,000 plus into parts. I see some guys sell stock ones for the around 35. Not sure it they are getting it. Just thought if someone was looking to do a big turbo build they could save some big dollars. I would think any of the big builders would not be a gamble. I’d buy a tune plus built one and not think it was a gamble if it was all done by him and documented.
Selling a heavily modified car is harder because not everyone wants these mods. That's why most people say mods don't add value. You need to find one specific buyer who actually would like all these mods. In addition, the RS market is not very hot, so there is very low interest all around. From the market, the RS have depreciated far more and stock ones are going for around 28k - 31k. If you are truly interested in seeing if anyone is interested, I would list it on Bring A Trailer with a reserve.

Here is one example that sold for $33k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-ford-focus-rs-8/

However a stock one only got 26.5K (Reserve wasn't met): https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-ford-focus-rs-10/

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
In today's market with so many online sellers and data sources, the selling price ranges for cars has narrowed. Mods may mean no warranty, this alone limits interest by private buyers as well dealer interest.....tougher to resell.

When I buy used cars I look for mods bc I know they're tough to sell and limited dealer interest....therefore I CA. Buy them at or under market and in better negotiating position. I can remove and resell the mods for 50 cent on the dollar and get the car cheaper than normal, so the overall deal is a good one.

Mods almost always means tougher to sell and fewer buyers....unless it is a perfect time match with a buyers wants....rare in the real world.

If you want/need to sell price competitively and don't move.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Idea:

If you have to park it for awhile, contact your insurance agent/broker & see about placing it under a storage/garage policy? That is one way to save some money in the mean time...

My insurance has that option I can simply "click" online when I park my hot-rods for the winter- goes down to a hundred & change for a 6-month policy.

Until its time to turn on da road insurance, there goes my $$$$....

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
If modded, I would return to stock before selling. I personally would not buy a modified car because someone modifying a car is squeezing more performance out of the car and I assume that person is pushing the car. Plus, if you return it to stock then sell, you can part out the aftermarket parts and probably make back a good chunk. I personally would be interested in those wheels!

Sorry to the 16/17 RS folks, but those are not doing so well on value and there's enough on the internet where someone looking to buy one has multiple options. They have ticked up though, and I imagine they're going to level off as the Totaled RS Thread continues to grow.

I'm slapping a $40k sticker on my 10k mile 2018 NB RS as a "make an offer so good I can't say no" number. I don't need to sell it, I love the car, I enjoy the car, but would like to cut expenses for a few months as my wife and I just bought a house. There's not a single clean titiled 2018 NB RS for sale in the country as far as I can tell, but there's nothing else I really want to buy right now besides a 25 year old Nissan Sentra hatch from Japan... :p I thought about a used 6spd 15+ M3 (~$42k), and looked at (and loved) one here locally, but the dealer offered me $30k for the RS, and I don't see that many used with the 6spd. Then looked at a new 2018 M3 locally with a $75k sticker with the dealer asking for $68k (https://www.schompbmw.com/inventory/new-2018-bmw-m3-m3-sedan-rwd-4dr-car-wbs8m9c58j5l01230). thought about it, and could make the numbers work on a longer term loan, but that's just dumb because the car will depreciate so much I wont be able to get out of it if I need to.

I also got a 3.84% rate on the RS when I bought it, and the best published rates I'm seeing now are 4.4%. In reality, not a meaningful factor, but I do love my low rate!

There's a few RR 2018 RSs on Car Gurus for anywhere from $35-40k and 10-15k mi. Actually making my think my "make me sell my car to you number" should be closer to $43k!

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you d. The general consensus I read here has been return car to stock, and maybe try to store it for a bit to curb costs on the car. I think $28-30k is par for the course on what a low mileage 16 RS is going to get on trade in, maybe $32-34 private. But hey, it doesn't hurt to ask for more. You never know!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you still have the stock block, go back to stock and sell out the gofast parts. Otherwise you're probably going to take a bath, unless someone wants a track toy. If I were buying, I'd pass or lowball you with the justification that you probably beat up the car and will need to put cash away for powertrain parts when they go. Sorry man.

There are people on the forums looking to buy used cars, keep an eye on there and work something out? The problem with modded cars is that they're only worth what someone is willing to pay for them (higher or lower than stock), vs having to compete with a handful of stock cars out there on the market.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts