Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Went for a ride today to the store and came back out to put some bags in the passenger side footwell noticed my passenger seat looked wet as if something spilled on it. Rubbed my hand across it was definitely damp.

Thing is nothing ever spilled on the seat ever and it's been 3 days since I last drove the car.

It has no smell to it and seems a tad sticky on my fingers, also noticed the corner of that same seat the Alcantara was able to pull back as it looked to not be attached to the stitching, see pictures. Any clue what happened here? I know these have bladders I checked the tube on the bottom of the seat best I could looked full and normal and nothing wet below the seat.

I'm stumped? Bladder pop or did someone actually spill something and my ocd didn't catch it for days? Nothing makes sense.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Sunroof leak?

Leaky diaper?

Or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunroof leak?

Leaky diaper?

Or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sunroof has been on tilt both times I drove it. Definitely would make sense it it dripped right from the corner of it but it doesn't from what I've seen. And it hasn't really rained at all. I can go pour some water the roof and check to be sure, should all hit drip rail though.

No diapers unless some adults are wearing without telling ? That's a conversation I don't want to have with anyone who's ridden shotgun.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Sunroof has been on tilt both times I drove it. Definitely would make sense it it dripped right from the corner of it but it doesn't from what I've seen. And it hasn't really rained at all. I can go pour some water the roof and check to be sure, should all hit drip rail though.

No diapers unless some adults are wearing without telling ? That's a conversation I don't want to have with anyone who's ridden shotgun.
Yeah, I avoid sunroofs since I’ve had them leak before, that’s why I ordered my RS without one. My guess is that is your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I avoid sunroofs since I’ve had them leak before, that’s why I ordered my RS without one. My guess is that is your issue.

Thanks.

The lack of water coming in is the question though as it hasn't rained really at all to cause that amount of water even then I was in the car both times and not gone out of it for more than five minutes, the sunroof would be fully closed when parked.

I'll check drip rails and do a water test, and check water vents for blockages etc. I've had the sunroof on all three foci trim never had an issue so I'll be surprised if it's just that.

Will report back once I get a chance to look, a telescopic camera helps alot for this specifically really easy to find out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind all sunroofs leak on the focus line however it's just a slit in the middle facing the back of the car and it's intended, the drip rail sits right below it. You can see it bubble up when washing your car but water never made it into the cabin.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The sunroof in my old 2000 Volvo V70R leaks if I don’t close it just right. It’s a bit annoying, but I’ll be replacing it in a year or so. It’s my utility vehicle for carrying the dog or when I don’t want to drive the RS.

I’m thinking I’ll replace it with a Fiesta ST.

·
5,582 Posts
Could be Poppie... :)

Hehe
Go with the sunroof.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So no concerns surrounding bladder failure? Anyone here have knowledge on how they're routed inside the seat?

I'm defending my sunroof here

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
So no concerns surrounding bladder failure? Anyone here have knowledge on how they're routed inside the seat?

I'm defending my sunroof here
You said your sunroof was on tilt when you drove it. Is it possible there was some residual water in the drip rail from previous rain, and when you were driving it dripped in and you didnt notice until you returned to the car?

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
:iagree:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said your sunroof was on tilt when you drove it. Is it possible there was some residual water in the drip rail from previous rain, and when you were driving it dripped in and you didnt notice until you returned to the car?
The drip rail would catch that though, it can't physically drip into the cabin directly.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
The drip rail would catch that though, it can't physically drip into the cabin directly.
then maybe a water bead rolled off the roof while the car was in motion. Just seems more plausible; the corner of the sunroof probably lines up with that part of the seat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then maybe a water bead rolled off the roof while the car was in motion. Just seams more plausible; the corner of the sunroof probably lines up with that part of the seat.
I'll check tomorrow.

You're correct though that does line up, however just seems extremely odd I would have not noticed water dripping in like that.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I've had a few drips land on my head during hard cornering or braking after the car has been left out in the rain. With the sunroof open, run your finger around above the headliner and feel for dampness or accumulated water. Any water means the drain holes or tubes are plugged.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Backpacking off this thread since it’s been mentioned a fair bit: has Ford or someone else come out with a permanent fix solution for a leaky sunroof?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, turns out it's not the sunroof.

The mark is still there even after being set to dry for Multiple days, definitely stained somehow.

Anyone happen bro know what the part # Is for a new seat skin?

Gonna be a pita trying to scrub this out, any suggestions? Soapy water I guess? Never worked with Alcantara.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
So, turns out it's not the sunroof.

The mark is still there even after being set to dry for Multiple days, definitely stained somehow.

Anyone happen bro know what the part # Is for a new seat skin?

Gonna be a pita trying to scrub this out, any suggestions? Soapy water I guess? Never worked with Alcantara.
It’s made out of plastic, so I’d guess it’s designed to be cleaned easily, but I’ve never had to try. I’d use a product made for cars if you have any.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
Grimlock
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing