Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I stumbled across this thread after having the same symptoms, post HG-fix, and then getting the same DTC followed by CEL. Was there any resolution to this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would also like some feedback on this, as my car is on its 4th trip to the dealer within 2 weeks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same here. Post head gasket replacement suffering from a P050a. Car is an April 2016 build, had about 41k when dropped off and never had an issue. No missing coolant, no excessive smoke, car has always run perfect. Testing showed minimal leakage so they only replaced the head gasket.

Work done at Nazareth Ford in PA. Picked the car up on 3/5/18. Drove home with a rattle. Returned 3/6. Picked up that afternoon. They claimed a loose fuel line had to be secured. I arrived late that evening after the service advisors had gone home. Started the car and immediately had a CEL. I checked it with my bluetooth ODBII and read a P050a code. I reset it and it cleared, but the code remained in memory. I also noticed that a quarter tank of fuel had been used and my average MPG was 7. Someone had a nice test drive at my expense. I drove home that night and everything seemed fine. 3/7/18 we had a snow storm and the car sat.

3/8/18 Drove the car to work and back, 130 mile round trip. Not good. Car has fluctuating boost in low RPM, low boost in 1st and 2nd gear, breaking up in higher RPM at full throttle. Idle is less steady than before. Pops and burbles seem more random. Almost at inappropriate times.

Returned 3/9/18 to the dealer. Unfortunately my service advisor was not in today. I spoke to another who scheduled me to return Monday. At this point I am already late for work again. No point in arguing for a loaner and they weren't offering. To be completely honest, I'm afraid to leave my car there anyway. I just want the goddamn thing fixed. Drove the car 62 miles and had to fight to stay above 3000 RPM the whole time because the car was shuddering so bad.

After researching this code, I'm not very optimistic. Anyone have this resolved?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Heard you guys were having trouble with your cars now. So heres how I resolved my issues..

I lemon lawed the car. They never figured out why it was a giant pos. I got all my money back and went and bought a Z06.

Good luck. 254 days I waited for that car from ordering it, 115 days in the service bay, another 250 days from start of claim for me to get all my money back.

I suggest you all start doing the same. I feel for you all, honestly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow - what a nightmare - at least you got a buyback

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately, PA lemon laws are different. Car must be under 12k miles or less than 1 year old. I'm stuck. Hoping it gets stolen if I ever get it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heard you guys were having trouble with your cars now. So heres how I resolved my issues..

I lemon lawed the car. They never figured out why it was a giant pos. I got all my money back and went and bought a Z06.

Good luck. 254 days I waited for that car from ordering it, 115 days in the service bay, another 250 days from start of claim for me to get all my money back.

I suggest you all start doing the same. I feel for you all, honestly.
That blows man. It really does. I guess I should be prepared to follow in the same steps as you as my car is under 1yr old and under 12k. I was rooting too for a good outcome because I'm in a similar situation but I guess not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2017 Focus RS just threw the same code this morning at about 1,400 miles. HG and Heads replaced with 15 miles on the car. Car seems to be driving and idiling normally. Will start with clearing it and seeing if it comes back. Current mods I include Cobb high flow filter, Cobb stage 1 tune, and 1 step colder plugs. I did change the ECU map this morning while the car was still warming up, the temperature has been a lot warmer too, so maybe just a fluke thing... Will clear the code and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My car threw this code and CEL last week. Had Ford check it out. No other codes. they tested the idle and confirmed no issues. Cleared the light and sent me on my way. 2 days later the CEL was back, same as before shortly after cold start and driving off. Ford says the car needs to warm up more before driving off and don't touch the throttle at all during warm up. Like 3+ minutes on a cold start, or you risk the informational warning. Good thing is after the second time the CEL came on, just over a day later and the car cleared itself. So far with longer warm ups I haven't had the CEL return.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow I have been so absent on here, guess better late than never.

So update!

3rd trip (June-ish?)- Another vehicle they serviced had a timing issue, so they ordered a new timing tool from Ford and analyzed both tools. They realized the old tool was messed up and was suspected of mistiming vehicles. So they took the new tool and retimed my RS. Ran fine after and no CEL.

So months and a few autocrosses later the car has been running flawlessly. No codes, no misfires, no hesitation. I am still going through the proceeding and lemon law steps. While I don't want them to buy the car back (the RS academy + an unexpected event with some dumb Honda girl hitting the fan making me hate Honda's again made me fall in love with the RS again) I do want financial compensation.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Wow I have been so absent on here, guess better late than never.

So update!

3rd trip (June-ish?)- Another vehicle they serviced had a timing issue, so they ordered a new timing tool from Ford and analyzed both tools. They realized the old tool was messed up and was suspected of mistiming vehicles. So they took the new tool and retimed my RS. Ran fine after and no CEL.

So months and a few autocrosses later the car has been running flawlessly. No codes, no misfires, no hesitation. I am still going through the proceeding and lemon law steps. While I don't want them to buy the car back (the RS academy + an unexpected event with some dumb Honda girl hitting the fan making me hate Honda's again made me fall in love with the RS again) I do want financial compensation.
My bet is the dealer bought an aftermarket timing tool set for the 2.0L engine which will fit the RS except the TDC crank lock pin is the wrong length so the #1 cylinder wont be at true TDC and the cam timing will be wrong.. If you buy this timing set you need to order the 303-748 TDC stop pin seperately. They are cheap and easy to buy.

Ciao

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car came up with P050A on January 7, at 22000 miles.
The initial symptoms were a rough cold idle and a strong smell of excess gas.
I made an appointment to bring it in, but my first available day off was two weeks away. My service tech suggested not clearing the code.
In the meantime, I was still driving it to and from work. It still ran normally once warmed up.
4 days and about 100 miles later, the CEL went out. The cold idle was now more normal.
Finally, I brought it in last week. They had it for a few days so they could do some cold morning starts.
The engine passed a “self check test” and they couldn’t get the error to come up again.
After reading the original posting I was bracing for the worst.
I just wanted to post this to let others know that this code might not be very serious. YMMV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was really hoping for a resolution on this, has anyone experienced this since? I just got this code and cleared it, hoping it doesn't come back though...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine is going to the dealership in the morning, I have a CEL on with the same P050A code. It has a rough idle on cold start and throttle response never feels smooth upon take off. They already tried clearing the code to see if it would come back and of course it did.

- UPDATE -

They are ordering a new throttle body and will see if swapping that out will fix the issue.

- NEW UPDATE -

They replaced the throttle body and this seems to have made the car a lot better. Throttle response is smoother now and it idles a lot better on a cold start, it still idles a little rough for maybe the first 2 seconds, I don't know if this is just normal for the RS. So far no CEL has come back on (fingers crossed) I'll report back if it doesn't seem 100% fixed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know each of these cars appear to have their own personality but mine has thrown this code twice now , about 6 months apart, and both times it’s been resolved with fresh fuel. It threw the code yesterday and I refueled it this morning. I always let it idle down after a cold start, before driving it.

The previous half-tank I bought was at a station I don’t usually go to and probably doesn’t sell a lot of premium. I’m guessing there was some added moisture there (bc it may have been old) and my car didn’t like it. It’s pretty humid where I live.

Just a thought but the Ford tech I talked to the first time I took it in asked me if I typically buy premium at a station that sells a lot of premium.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just had my throttle body replaced under warranty based on a few other codes - bad cat and lean fuel mix.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My CEL came back and the car is acting up just like before, frustrating to say the least.

I just read what Slurve posted, interesting... I always go to the same gas station. Just for the hell of it I'll try fueling somewhere else and see if that could be the problem. I honestly don't think it's the issue because I always fueled my ST there with no problems but we'll see. You know what else is interesting, my RS doesn't have much of a CarFax history, but the one thing that sticks out is the catyltic converter was replaced (no idea why of course).

- UPDATE -

I got my tank all the way done to almost nothing (2 miles left lol) and refilled it at another gas station and of course that didn't fix the issue. I went to the dealership today and bought an OEM air filter, put it in and now I'm just letting the car sit for a while so I can test it with a cold start. You would think an aftermarket air filter would not cause this problem, but I swear the engine light and related issues started after I put that Greene Filter in. I'll report back later..

41 - 58 of 58 Posts