Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
:bump: and bump...

The dealer had the car for a few days to run all the diagnostics again per Fords direction. Upon finding no issues, long story short they cleared the code and released the car back to me. Ford isn't sure what was going on with the car and basically said to record a log of all my driving cycles so if the code comes back it may be able to help determine what caused the CEL. Yeah, ok, I'll get right on that...

Fast forward to last Friday and about 1000 miles later. Leaving work, bam CEL. P050A. Called the dealer, dropped it off on Saturday.

Field Service Engineer is basically out of ideas, so his last suggestion before this is escalated higher up is to do a tear tag reflash of the system, replace the cylinder head temp sensor, and ambient temp sensor. Sensors should be in tomorrow and replaced and the car released back to me. The master tech and I both assume this is not going to fix the problem, but its Fords dollar and we basically have to try everything they are suggesting in order to drive this up the ladder. It's not putting me out anything as they have been providing wonder loaners such as automatic Fiestas and base level Foci, plus I'm quite interested in seeing what the final outcome of this is as I've never ran across something this persistent yet seemingly unsolvable. Maybe its the engineer in me but I'm actually enjoying this.

Either that or its Stockholm Syndrome with Foci...

I'll update when the inevitable CEL pops back up before I store her for winter.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
What's the last 6-7 digits of your VIN? In case this occurs with others, maybe we can narrow it down to a specific batch run of RS's?

·
Registered
285 Posts
:bump: and bump...

The dealer had the car for a few days to run all the diagnostics again per Fords direction. Upon finding no issues, long story short they cleared the code and released the car back to me. Ford isn't sure what was going on with the car and basically said to record a log of all my driving cycles so if the code comes back it may be able to help determine what caused the CEL. Yeah, ok, I'll get right on that...

Fast forward to last Friday and about 1000 miles later. Leaving work, bam CEL. P050A. Called the dealer, dropped it off on Saturday.

Field Service Engineer is basically out of ideas, so his last suggestion before this is escalated higher up is to do a tear tag reflash of the system, replace the cylinder head temp sensor, and ambient temp sensor. Sensors should be in tomorrow and replaced and the car released back to me. The master tech and I both assume this is not going to fix the problem, but its Fords dollar and we basically have to try everything they are suggesting in order to drive this up the ladder. It's not putting me out anything as they have been providing wonder loaners such as automatic Fiestas and base level Foci, plus I'm quite interested in seeing what the final outcome of this is as I've never ran across something this persistent yet seemingly unsolvable. Maybe its the engineer in me but I'm actually enjoying this.

Either that or its Stockholm Syndrome with Foci...

I'll update when the inevitable CEL pops back up before I store her for winter.
You should qualify for lemon law if they aren't able to fix it on this next attempt :lemo:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What's the last 6-7 digits of your VIN? In case this occurs with others, maybe we can narrow it down to a specific batch run of RS's?

However, to my knowledge this is the only instance of this issue across the entire country, hence why Ford doesn't know what to do.

You should qualify for lemon law if they aren't able to fix it on this next attempt :lemo:
Oh hell no. After the trouble it took just to get one no way am I getting rid of it. haha (remember, the first one I ordered I got screwed on by my original dealer)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh hell no. After the trouble it took just to get one no way am I getting rid of it. haha (remember, the first one I ordered I got screwed on by my original dealer)
Haha, yup I remember. A bit of sarcasm :friendly_wink:

Hope they get it figured out for you soon!

·
Registered
201 Posts

However, to my knowledge this is the only instance of this issue across the entire country, hence why Ford doesn't know what to do.

Lemon Law would sound good to me :)... have them get you the RS500 while their at it XD

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It sounds wiring related to me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
UPDATE!!

I'm getting the car back today. They replaced the sensors as well as did a pressurized leak down test on the entire system. Leak down test passed (yay).

Through this process, somehow this landed on someone's desk in Dearborn that took notice. So two things that came from this:

A: This has been determined as an "information code" and other codes should accompany it. My car is not exhibiting any symptoms lately and not displaying any other codes in fault log. Oasis is now flagged with a tracer by to my tickets. You guys can thank me for the legwork. haha

Dos: I said this made it on someone's desk in Dearborn. Well that someone is one of the engineers involved with the RS development and launch. (supposedly) Said person has stated that if the CEL returns they are either going to send some engineers down to the dealer to spend private time with my car and find a solution, or send a private carrier down to pick my car up and take it back to Detroit/Dearborn and fix it there. We shall see what happens with this one as time progresses.

Either way, I get the car back tonight and get to return the wonderful Fiesta I've been driving for a week and a half.

Reactions: Timeless

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
And the hits don't stop...

Cel popped back on again on the way home from work last night, 551 miles since the last. Same code, P050A, surprise! I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning and got a wonderful ruby red Focus SE. Such fast, very wow, amaze.

Anyways, the dealer is waiting on what Detroit is going to say now. Stay tuned, this ought to get interesting as no one knows what the root cause for this issue is and rumor mill is that the car will go back to the motor city for a shakedown. I laughed, handed them the key fob, and walked away. What else can I even do at this point? haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update, again.

Got the car back on Wednesday after the most recent code clearing. Detroit decided they wanted to hook up a data logger to the car to capture the event as it takes place because my car is now a guinea pig. On the way home last night, a whopping 100 miles since the code was cleared, it popped back up, so yay for Ford getting their information logged. Took the car back to the dealer this morning and gave them back their data logger. The data is going to get pulled down and analyzed to see what is triggering the issue.

For now, no new information, but at least we had a recorder on the car when the CEL was triggered so hopefully they can figure out what the hell is causing this issue.

I'll update as I hear back from them. The car is getting put away here this weekend as we are expecting snow so updates will continue as information is relayed from the dealer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
thanks for keeping this updated. I am quite interested in what the problem is. I have had a similar experience with a BMW 335D a few years back. It was in the shop more than it was in my garage with some sort of fuel system problem... sometimes the car would start... and other times it would just sit and turn over but never fire. They ended up replacing the entire fuel system over the course of 4 months in and out of the dealership and it still didn't fix it... I got fed up and traded it in on an ST... and i'll be trading up to an RS sometime early next month when my car gets to the dealer... I hope you get something figured out soon...

Is ford doing anything to help cover any of your car payment for the time that it is in the shop? seems like you are spending more time in econo cars rather than your 40K RS.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're a patient man. I really appreciate these updates. They'll get it eventually.

I've experienced these kinds of things on previous cars. My wife had a new Accord back in '08 that threw mystery codes like mad. They eventually tore the entire top-end apart, which led to other issues. Ultimately, it was fixed. I had a 99 Civic that also seemed to have more than its fair-share of defective parts when new (fuel pump, alternator, strut, ecu, battery, door handle all failed in the first 6 months). Hell, I had a new neon in 96 with a window that fell out the first time I wound it down. Lol!

I currently have a 2010 BMW motorcycle in the garage that woke up 2 springs ago throwing fueling and ABS failure codes. It's still messed-up despite 5 dealer visits (each lasting about a month). It's always been screwy at idle over it's entire 40,000 mile lifetime (stranding me 3x in other states...all under warranty thank god). Everything is great, and then it decides it wants to throw me off the bike by cutting out rapidly on one side or the other. After that it's like riding a bucking bronco until everything cools off. I've been down the electrical path, plugs, stepper motor, battery, fuel, fuel pump, fuel pump controller pathways so far. I'm not even riding it at this point because it's downright dangerous. The plan this winter is tow, fix, and sell. Damn thing is too complicated to work on at home.

I should mention that the most reliable car I've ever owned is my 2014 Fiesta 1L. 80,000 miles and the only thing that has broken is the spring that tensions the compartment lid latch between the front seats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for these updates but bad news i have the same problem with my RS check engine light on
P050A i will take the car to the dealer tomorrow ;(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I got a PM about this, I'M NOT ALONE! hahaha

1-4-2017: Severely late update

November 23rd 2016 I got a call back from the master tech at my local dealership that has been dealing with the problem since the get go. The data set was analyzed and a few parameters were found out of spec. You will have to forgive me as it's been two months almost since my last communication as I put the RS in storage the weekend before Thanksgiving due to it snowing and the salting of the roads. To my best recollection the fuel pressure and throttle load were reading inconsistant (sometimes negative when should be positive values). Ford directed the tech to have me bring the car to the dealer and check a few pinouts on a couple of the harnesses, and if the pinouts passed a resistance test hook the logger back up to th e car and record the drive cycles.

Preliminary thoughts between the master tech and I are that the PCM is fubar'd, something is acting strange in it, be it a loose connection or a faulty item.
Unfortunately at this time no further action has been taken as the car is tucked safely in my garage for the winter and I'm not about to take it out on the brine covered roads to slowly rust away.
I'm going to call the tech by the end of this week to try and get my RO number that is still open in hopes it may help individuals that are starting to experience this problem.

The first post is now updated with all my current information, including the timeline of events as well as my VIN number for your dealerships to reference as a case study of what has been done and doesn't work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
5-15-2017 Update:

Car was dropped back at the dealership on the evening of May11th after the CEL popped back on in the morning heading to work. Have about 1,000 miles on the car since she was put away in November for winter. Same code, P050A, noticeable stumble at idle during warm up. Dealer has had it for two days now, waiting for Ford to get back to them on how to proceed.

I'll admit, while in the beginning of this issue I was quite lax and laid back, I'm starting to get pissed, especially since this has been an ongoing problem since 3k miles and I'm up to 11k and change. Who's door do I have to start knocking on to get this escalated and fixed?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll admit, while in the beginning of this issue I was quite lax and laid back, I'm starting to get pissed, especially since this has been an ongoing problem since 3k miles and I'm up to 11k and change. Who's door do I have to start knocking on to get this escalated and fixed?
Ohio Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org

I don't know how close you are to qualifying at this point, but it sounds like it has to be close. I know it sounds a bit rash - but maybe getting a buyback or a new replacement quickest way to sort this out. Then Ford can then have the opportunity to drive it all day long and sort the problem out on their own time and not yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
5-23-2017 Update:

Got the car back last Friday on the 19th. Ford directed the dealership to go into the main harness and splice/re solder the connections to make sure we weren't getting intermittent signal from bad wiring. The main harness that was repaired was the one feeding leads tot he throttle body, IAT, MAP, etc... Took the car home and it drove fine, went to a few autocrosses and it drove fine.

Wife took it to work this morning and about a mile down the road from the house the damn CEL popped back on. Heading back to the dealer tonight to scan and document the code.

I'm officially sick and effing tired of this. A buyback is being initiated on my behalf by the dealership. Ford can't get their crap together and is using my damn car as a guinea pig to poke and prod, well they can have it back and do all the testing they want on their damn time, not mine.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Just brutal. I feel for you, wish I had some advice to throw your way.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
5-23-2017 Update:

Got the car back last Friday on the 19th. Ford directed the dealership to go into the main harness and splice/re solder the connections to make sure we weren't getting intermittent signal from bad wiring. The main harness that was repaired was the one feeding leads tot he throttle body, IAT, MAP, etc... Took the car home and it drove fine, went to a few autocrosses and it drove fine.

Wife took it to work this morning and about a mile down the road from the house the damn CEL popped back on. Heading back to the dealer tonight to scan and document the code.

I'm officially sick and effing tired of this. A buyback is being initiated on my behalf by the dealership. Ford can't get their crap together and is using my damn car as a guinea pig to poke and prod, well they can have it back and do all the testing they want on their damn time, not mine.
I would think this would fall under the Lemon Law. You can view Ohio's Lemon law here:

https://www.carlemon.com/lemon/oh_law.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeah I'm exploring the lemon law stuff right now. Trust me, I love this stupid car even with all it's dumb quirks (sans CEL) and don't want to get rid of it, and more than likely I'm not going to be able to get another one if I lemon it or Ford does a buyback. Granted, the sister to this dealership has a 2017 RS2 on their lot, but its black and has a moonroof. I could probably live the with color, the roof, no Bueno.

I'm at a loss, not sure who to complain to, and I've just about run out of patience with Dearborn right now.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts