Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every pound you remove helps performance. If you can't remove it, maybe you can move it to someplace else.

You ST owners will be in a good position to offer tested weight-loss solutions, so I'd love to see those and any other ideas.

I will keep an updated list in this first post.

#1 is probably the easiest - the battery. Depending on where you live and how you drive (accessory use, daytime only, etc.), you can get pretty small in battery size and capacity. You can also get pretty expensive if you try to go super-lightweight. You could also move the battery (or a light version of it) to the hatch area to get some weight off the front.

Replace with lighter battery - Easy Job - $$$ out of possible 5

Relocation with stock battery - Medium Job - $$$ out of possible 5 (batt. box, quality cable, connectors, etc.)

Relocation with lighter battery - Medium Job - $$$$ of 5 (all the above plus lighter battery)

Another is the rear seating area - I don't use it much and I am considering removing the seats and building some sort of stiffener/firewall between the back of the seat area and the hatch area. Any ideas on how much weight you can save here?

Let's hear your ideas and experiences.

Jim

·
Registered
376 Posts
My guess would be 40-50 lbs on the whole rear seat. Then you could also remove all the plastic and foam tool caddy from the hatch area for another 30-35 I'm guessing.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Jim

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
image.jpg

I'm thinking carbon fiber hood, fenders, hatch, doors. It would cost a lot, but look killer on shadow black.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Carbon fibre hood not worth it.

Rear seat delete, wheels, front shell seats, speaker deletes, 2 piece brakes should be considered before carbon fibre body pieces.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not sure if this is of any help to anyone, but I've been drag racing for 12 years now...and I can tell you that in drag racing anyways, every 100 pounds you shed, you drop one tenth of a second.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
RS Race Car ?

Jim,

If you are looking for a pure race car, then maybe the RS is not for you. I am looking for a very fun DD hatchback with manual shift and performance. I also am looking for decent mpg and additional semi-luxury features. I am looking for a step up from the ST, ST3. ;)

I will leave my RS stock even though a lot of people are talking about upgrading theirs even before they have driven 350 HP/350 FTLBs. I will drive it a a reliable, very fun, very fast DD and have a continual smile planted on my face. :cool:

But, it sounds like you want an out and out race car. So be it...strip you RS down to the frame and add a driver's cage and roll-bars. Enjoy your 1,800 pound RS shell as you race to your Weight Watcher meetings. :rolleyes:

My SWAG:

RS no mods ------------------------- 50%
RS light mods ----------------------- 35%
RS heavy mods---------------------- 14% +
RS -race track only driver's cage - <1%, 1 person DeltaT

Just MHO YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
58 Posts
DeltaT - You are my hero. I'm hoping for a larger front splitter, larger rear diffuser and a WRC rear wing to complete my mid life crisis purchase. :D

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Carbon fibre hood not worth it.

Rear seat delete, wheels, front shell seats, speaker deletes, 2 piece brakes should be considered before carbon fibre body pieces.

Well removing the back seat is not a realistic option for my family. Reducing weight by replacing body panels is a better Option.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have 0 interest in doing any of this, I'll make more power and still have the flexibility and comfort that the items listed provide.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have 0 interest in doing any of this, I'll make more power and still have the flexibility and comfort that the items listed provide.
Agree on the first part. Seems like way to much work, money, and loss of practicality to shed a few pounds in what is going to be a great DD.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Jim,

If you are looking for a pure race car, then maybe the RS is not for you. I am looking for a very fun DD hatchback with manual shift and performance. I also am looking for decent mpg and additional semi-luxury features. I am looking for a step up from the ST, ST3. ;)

I will leave my RS stock even though a lot of people are talking about upgrading theirs even before they have driven 350 HP/350 FTLBs. I will drive it a a reliable, very fun, very fast DD and have a continual smile planted on my face. :cool:

But, it sounds like you want an out and out race car. So be it...strip you RS down to the frame and add a driver's cage and roll-bars. Enjoy your 1,800 pound RS shell as you race to your Weight Watcher meetings. :rolleyes:

My SWAG:

RS no mods ------------------------- 50%
RS light mods ----------------------- 35%
RS heavy mods---------------------- 14% +
RS -race track only driver's cage - <1%, 1 person DeltaT

Just MHO YMMV,

MidCow3
Everyone missed the subtle nuance of my first response - "Weight Watchers" ..... Lose Driver weight!

LOL YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone missed the subtle nuance of my first response - "Weight Watchers" ..... Lose Driver weight!
I didn't miss it - luckily I have literally worked my a$$ off for the past 7 years and, at age 57, am in the best shape of my life. I cycle 130 miles a week, climb indoors twice a week and lift hard 3 times a week. Plus a lot of core stuff and daily walking. All this is to become a better climber and stay healthy.

As for the rest - I am looking for ideas, not necessarily planning to use any of them. Some minor stuff maybe, all reversible if I need to (like putting back in the rear seats).

Hey, we need to have some conversation for the next 5-8 months until our cars start coming in!

And who knows, some people here might do some (or all, or way more) of this stuff.

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
After having shaved about 400 pounds off of my last Evo X, I think I found what would be worth the money for myself. I had carbon fiber hood, trunk, spoiler/wing, side skirts, and lip. They look good, but fitment varies piece to piece. With all of those, I think I saved roughly 50 pounds. Not really enough to notice while driving. Everything does add up, though. What I felt made the largest difference was the 2-piece aluminum driveshaft and 2-piece rotors. I will definitely be looking into those options for the RS. May even go the carbon fiber route on the driveshaft and wheels. Definitely be sourcing a nice lightweight battery, whether it be sealed lead-acid or lithium. I had Sparco Fighters, which were nice and saved a lot of weight, but definitely sacrificed comfort. Then, I will look into any other unsprung weight reductions. Most likely not go as hardcore weight reduction as I did with the Evo this time around. Just try to get it in the places that matter like rotating and unsprung weight.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I didn't miss it - luckily I have literally worked my a$$ off for the past 7 years and, at age 57, am in the best shape of my life. I cycle 130 miles a week, climb indoors twice a week and lift hard 3 times a week. Plus a lot of core stuff and daily walking. All this is to become a better climber and stay healthy.

As for the rest - I am looking for ideas, not necessarily planning to use any of them. Some minor stuff maybe, all reversible if I need to (like putting back in the rear seats).

Hey, we need to have some conversation for the next 5-8 months until our cars start coming in!

And who knows, some people here might do some (or all, or way more) of this stuff.

Cheers,

Jim
Awesome keep it up as long as you can! I kept up strenuous backpacking and road bicycling through my mid-50s. Some arthritis has cut it back to hiking and walking now, but my cabin literally backs up to the Sam Houston National Forest.

Take Care YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S.- but I still like to shift and drive "muscle" cars :cool:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I felt made the largest difference was the 2-piece aluminum driveshaft and 2-piece rotors. I will definitely be looking into those options for the RS. May even go the carbon fiber route on the driveshaft and wheels. Definitely be sourcing a nice lightweight battery, whether it be sealed lead-acid or lithium. I had Sparco Fighters, which were nice and saved a lot of weight, but definitely sacrificed comfort. Then, I will look into any other unsprung weight reductions. Most likely not go as hardcore weight reduction as I did with the Evo this time around. Just try to get it in the places that matter like rotating and unsprung weight.
Sounds about right to me :) A little weight loss, a little power gain via a tune and assorted bits and BAM, you've kicked it up a notch (with a nod to Emeril).

Jim

1 - 20 of 78 Posts