Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did not change it. If tracking the car, then I would have. I do understand those that do as it is a reasonable practice.
Thanks for your reply.
I think you might be referring to the RDU fluid?

I mean have you changed the Power Transfer Unit fluid at the front of the car?

Like in the YouTube video below, at about 0.31:

·
Registered
SG2016
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Max,

Sorry, I should read better. For both the RDU and PTU, I did not change the fluid. I did change the transaxle fluid per the manual. Again, I would not argue with someone wanting to change the fluid in both units. My experience is the fluid in both the RDU and PRU does not need to be changed in order to reach 200K miles.

·
Registered
560 Posts
@LazarusMK3
Got it. The fuel filter is not listed on the scheduled maintenance schedule, so just curious if you replaced it. I remember 20 years ago when I worked at a Ford dealer they would recommend changing it. The tech would use compressed air to show me how dirty they got. Looks like the same design from back then. But I suspect the tank design is better to allow less dirt to be sucked up?

I do remember the carbon build up thread. They looked good for about 100k miles. Was curious to know if you checked lately.

Pictures of valves with no catch can after 93K miles
Wow,

I don't care what the manual says, I always change my fuel filters [In every vehicle I own] every 15,000 miles or three years; which ever comes first... cheap insurance.

I went ahead installed a Radium Engineering Fuel Filter with the stainless-steel mesh which should make cleaning quick & easy.

Radium Engineering Focus RS Fuel Filter Kit

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Replying so I can use this video as a reference for fill/drain plug locations & specific oil weights.

I probably will go with Royal-Purple since that's the only aftermarket brand that is stocked on local shelves...

·
Registered
3 Posts
While you are at it, clean up your fuel system really well. A common issue with the DI engines is fuel system gets dirty fast. If are running OEM, get a new set of injectors as well. They are very cheap. EJ7Z-9F593-C

21 - 29 of 29 Posts