Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
SG2016
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am in the middle of an engine swap and removing my high-mileage (194K) engine. Two items that had aged and showed themselves during teardown were the belt tensioner and fuel pump housing with its tappet.

Now these are pictures of the new ones; I tossed the old ones before getting a picture. The old belt tensioner cracked open when I tried to release the belt. Yes, it was amazing as I am not a strong!

The pump housing and tappet had heavy scouring and scratches on the suppose to be smooth surface between them. FOD had somehow entered the space and I suspect this happened during the HG recall work. No symptoms of the wear to me driving but it sure wasn't helping.

My advice is to check these items at 150K maybe sooner. As seen below, I replace both items on my new build.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you the only owner? And did you do much/any racing or hard driving? I love the idea that my RS could have that much life in it.

·
Registered
SG2016
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you the only owner? And did you do much/any racing or hard driving? I love the idea that my RS could have that much life in it.
I am the only owner. I don't race the car but I am a spirited driver. I routinely WOT on an on-ramp or when I can do it safely. Half of the milage was done with a custom tune, IC, intake, etc (Mountune B7 kit).

·
Registered
886 Posts
Reactions: Crystals

·
Registered
87 Posts
Was there any oil leaks? Seems like that is common post head gasket change. But most of the oil leaks are tech install error

·
Registered
SG2016
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was there any oil leaks? Seems like that is common post head gasket change. But most of the oil leaks are tech install error
I did have a leak or a least what looked like a leak at around 188K miles. it was coming from the back of the engine and, if a leak, it was a very, very slow one. With the possible leak spotted at 188K and the head gasket work done at 100K, I don't they are connected in this case.

I was never able to find the leak when removing the engine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
@LazarusMK3
Did you ever replace the fuel filter? If so when and with OEM motorcraft?

Also how did the carbon build up look like. Running a catch can set-up, maybe dual cans?

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
SG2016
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@LazarusMK3
Did you ever replace the fuel filter? If so when and with OEM motorcraft?

Also how did the carbon build up look like. Running a catch can set-up, maybe dual cans?

Thanks for sharing
I did not replace the fuel filter.

The carbon build-up was minimal. I actually did a thread on carbon build-up after 93K in the maintenance section with pictures. Not sure how to link the thread but if you do a search you can see that. I did not have a catch can.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did not replace the fuel filter.

The carbon build-up was minimal. I actually did a thread on carbon build-up after 93K in the maintenance section with pictures. Not sure how to link the thread but if you do a search you can see that. I did not have a catch can.
@LazarusMK3
Got it. The fuel filter is not listed on the scheduled maintenance schedule, so just curious if you replaced it. I remember 20 years ago when I worked at a Ford dealer they would recommend changing it. The tech would use compressed air to show me how dirty they got. Looks like the same design from back then. But I suspect the tank design is better to allow less dirt to be sucked up?

I do remember the carbon build up thread. They looked good for about 100k miles. Was curious to know if you checked lately.

Pictures of valves with no catch can after 93K miles

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,275 Posts
@LazarusMK3
Got it. The fuel filter is not listed on the scheduled maintenance schedule, so just curious if you replaced it. I remember 20 years ago when I worked at a Ford dealer they would recommend changing it. The tech would use compressed air to show me how dirty they got. Looks like the same design from back then. But I suspect the tank design is better to allow less dirt to be sucked up?

I do remember the carbon build up thread. They looked good for about 100k miles. Was curious to know if you checked lately.

Pictures of valves with no catch can after 93K miles
It's odd because the US maintenance schedule says the fuel filter is a lifetime filter, but the Euro one says to change it at every 30K(?) miles. I changed it out of an "abundance of caution," but it's great to see it actually appears to be a lifetime filter. I'm given even more confidence with the fact that @LazarusMK3 was tuned as well. Although, I run E30 on occasion now, so not sure if that could affect the lifespan of the filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts