Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many other RS owners, my car came out of the Saarlouis factory less than perfect.
I've made 4 warranty claims over 3 years, and had pushback from the dealer on every single issue.
Every time I made a claim the dealer would say "they're all like that" to avoid having to fix the problem.

Just wondering how many faults your car came out of the factory with? (excluding mustang headgasket)
No need to describe what the fault was (eg leaking PTU, B pillar rattle, etc), just the number of faults you had.

Would also like to hear from anyone who has had absolutely no faults with their car whatsoever.
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
829 Posts
I bought a focus so I expect a focus which has a fast engine and awd, nothing more really . A focus.

Reactions: 320icar

·
Banned
589 Posts
I never hear much about the 2018s & those are seemingly the best ones, but unfortunately there are only two color options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine has a ongoing CEL that i'm dealing with. No driveability issues, and it doesn't appear to be anything other than an annoyance. Code p050 or something like that. Comes on, goes off, comes back on. Been to the dealer multiple times for it to get taken care of and the last thing they did was replace the throttle body which sounded like a hail mary because it came back on a few days later. It's been in 3 times for that CEL. The most recent time they reset it and said they were going to contact Ford for their opinion and get back to me. I told them I want it on record that's it's an ongoing issue and would like it fixed as to not hurt the resale of the car. I've got another 6 months of B2B warranty for them to figure it out.

The only other issue I can think about is the seat moves around a bit. I'll probably fix that one myself since I hate having the dealer do anything to my car that isn't necessary.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Other than the headgasket which was already fixed by the time I bought the car with a couple thousand miles on it, not a single issue in the 30k miles of its life.. Until just recently, maybe a month or so. Clunking sound from front end and a tiny bit of oil I noticed on my transmission. Clunking sound was a blown strut so they order me a pair of new struts, so my car is getting the latest revision struts put on the front under warranty so I'll get to see how the ride improves, still original version rears though.

Oil leak they said was leaking out of a sensor. They sent me on my way in my car while they waited for parts to come in.
Early next week going to work, still waiting on parts, the car gets stuck in gear, like a linkage popped off, I can throw my gearshift back and forth with no resistance.
Flatbed to the dealership.....
They're ordering me a new transmission.
It's back ordered.
I'll be in a loaner for 3 months, but they said that was just a guess and they really don't know how long it will be.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had the head gasket and head replaced as part of the recall. Issues I've had in 53,000 miles:

There is a seep that I suspect is from the PTU. I asked about it when I had my head gasket done and they told me they couldn't locate it due to all the oil they spilled replacing the head. I haven't had a chance to take the car back to Ford to have it checked, but it's still there.

The rear-view mirror mount cover rattled like crazy. I finally just removed it.

The B-pillar rattle is there, but I wouldn't have made a claim on it anyway. It doesn't bother me.

The headliner behind the moon roof is rattling. I can tell it's the tape strip.

Third gear seems to be getting more difficult. I could be imagining things, but it doesn't "suck" into place like it used to.

The hatch button broke about 10,000 miles ago. I have replaced it myself.

When the weather gets hot the backup camera starts acting weird. Sometimes it will not turn on/off, other times it is just lines and fuzz. It happens maybe once a week in the summer time. Usually works if I turn the car off and on again.

Bluetooth connection to my phone is not reliable and makes it almost impossible to talk on the phone. It's probably not the car as I'm using an iPhone 6 that I've had for 5 years.

That's about all I can think of. Most of the issues are just fit and finish and similar to what I've experienced in other cars at this price level.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Just a headlight that I ignored until the tail end of my warranty. Car has been trouble free. (y)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all those that responded - it's nice to know I'm in the same boat as others.
After placing my order with Ford, I had to wait a year for the car to be built and delivered.
My expectation was that if I have to wait a year for the car to be built, it shouldn't be delivered with leaks, rattles, or damaged parts. I don't think that's too much to ask.
I've owned new daily-driver cars from Japanese manufacturers at half the price of my Focus RS that didn't have any problems at all during the warranty period.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a focus so I expect a focus which has a fast engine and awd, nothing more really . A focus.
True. But you bought the top of the range Focus. The most expensive German made Focus. It's ok to expect a little more I think.

·
Registered
829 Posts
True. But you bought the top of the range Focus. The most expensive German made Focus. It's ok to expect a little more I think.
[/QUOTE/]
I manufacture and Quality engineer approve BOM assemblies weekly. The Bill Of Material required for a focus assembly line are nearly 90% or more identical in every faucet to a normal focus. So expecting anything other than a focus from focus parts regardless of said assembly method the quality of such is still only relevant to the quality of said parts made. I just poking ??

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 11/2017 with 20,000km, all the bolt on mods and tuned. Yet to experience my first fault. Here's hoping it isn't any time soon haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seat issue that everyone had. I didn't fix it. Didn't bother me. Maybe it would have made e .001 sec faster???? Other than that just the usual too many stupid drivers on the road issues. Mine's a '16 BTW with the gasket replaced right the first time. YMMV

Oh and of course the car won't go into Sport or Race when you beat the snot out of it on a hot track then take it out of Sport mode for whatever reason and try to get it back in. Doesn't bother me either. I leave it on Sport/Race and have sufficient cooling off time between sessions. Again..I'm probably .00001 sec faster if it worked perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
If I didn't have a 2014 ST before my RS, I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to the fit and finish of this car.
The paint on my ST was flawless, the paint on the RS was quite orange peelish.
The panel gaps on the ST were perfect as well.. On the RS they vary from panel to panel. No biggie, but I thought being "made in Germany" the quality would've been better.
Interior rattles. ST was as solid as a drum. The RS rattles from all over. I don't have the B pillar rattle, but from the dash to the rear hatch has all kinds of small annoying rattles. which I wouldn't expect from a car that has barely over 8K miles.
Dealer visits besides ECU reprogramming and head gasket recalls...
Rain gutter on passenger side fell off one day.
Fog lights became "foggy" for no reason.
Infotainment system slowly died.
Alignments... Yes, more than one.
Driver seat shift.
Wiper Washer pump has a mind of it's own, and the nozzles leak all over the hood after use. The pump worked fine at the dealer, and I was told the leaking nozzles are "normal"
The RS is fun to drive and all, but I've never had a vehicle that needed to visit the dealer as much as this one. with recalls and annoying stuff breaking for no reason visits It's been there at least 11 times.

RS... The car you love to hate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My RS has never been in for a warranty claim. It finally arrived in October of ‘16 after 10 months of waiting, and no real issues. I had the recall done, but had no symptoms prior.
I have a few minor complaints that I wonder about, one of which is the seat moving while cornering aggressively. I haven’t been very active on here in some time, but I see a few mentions of a seat issue, so maybe others are experiencing the same thing.
My only other complaints are the seats squeaking against the console, the HVAC system occasionally having a mind of its own and adjusting temp/fan speed/output locations to extreme settings, and the frequent times that upon starting the car I get a blast of AM radio static instead of whatever I was last listening to (usually Sirius XM).
Honestly, I’ve had really good luck with all of my new cars, and every single one has been a Ford.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an ‘18 with about 17,000 miles. Once every two weeks or so, the sunroof requires 3-5 attempts to fully close. Dealer could not recreate the problem. There are some minor interior squeaks, but far less than in my previous Subaru. Otherwise, trouble free.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I have an ‘18 with about 17,000 miles. Once every two weeks or so, the sunroof requires 3-5 attempts to fully close. Dealer could not recreate the problem. There are some minor interior squeaks, but far less than in my previous Subaru. Otherwise, trouble free.

Another reminder of why I hate moonroof’s. Two of my previous cars had them & I could never get over how stupid it looked seeing a big glass whole cut out on my roof + I never used the dumb thing to begin with. In three years I don’t think I ever opened it. At least on the final edition ‘18 RS the roof is black, so it tends to blend in. A vehicle with a sunroof is a deal breaker for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts