Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS (RS1)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
Over the past month or so, I’ll be driving and I’ll randomly/occasionally get a couple dash lights. I get an AWD disabled, Drive mode selection disabled, and a trac off light all at once. The car has Never entered limp mode during this or any other time I’ve had it (if that helps). What’s weird is it’s very inconsistent. It’ll happen anywhere from 2nd to 5th gear at any speed on acceleration or deceleration. No weird sounds and the rest of the time it acts 100% normal. Here’s the catch. When you go and select a drive mode again, all the warnings completely disappear as if they’d never been there. I have the exhaust valve defeat already in place, I’m not seeing loss of fluids anywhere, but this is still randomly happening. Anyone have any ideas what it is? I’m trying to avoid taking it to Ford without some sort of stored code or catching it on video. I’m out of bumper to bumper warranty wise but I’ve still got Powertrain for another 2 years. What would you guys/gals do? Drive it until it does something and use the roadside service? I surely don’t want to waste a techs time at Ford until I have proof of what’s happening though.

Also! Fun fact if you have a paint defect like me that’s occurred outside of bumper to bumper Ford will not pay for it until it rots a hole through said panel.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
How old is your battery and how are the battery connections? Is the auto start stop still working?Everyone should invest in a wifi OB2 reader( cheap as chips) so you can read any fault codes on your phone so at least you can see if there is anything which in your case there probably wont be.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Just as all of the RS's start to get around 3 to 4 years of age, threads like this are starting to pop up every day.

90% of the time its an issue with the original battery. Do what Phil suggests. If everything looks fine, look into replacing the battery.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS (RS1)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just as all of the RS's start to get around 3 to 4 years of age, threads like this are starting to pop up every day.

90% of the time its an issue with the original battery. Do what Phil suggests. If everything looks fine, look into replacing the battery.
How old is your battery and how are the battery connections? Is the auto start stop still working?Everyone should invest in a wifi OB2 reader( cheap as chips) so you can read any fault codes on your phone so at least you can see if there is anything which in your case there probably wont be.

Ciao
Autostart/stop, hill assist, etc are all working fine. Battery was tested a few hundred miles ago when the oil was changed at the dealer and it was still reportedly fine and within spec. I’m wondering if something like the diff temp sensor for the computer is on its way out. That or I’ve got some sort of early trans failure going on. Terminals were clean last I looked though which was a couple weeks ago. Whole thing is just weird. Oh! And it’s the original battery from 2017. From my experience at Toyota it should be fine for another year or two and it’s never not started. Thanks for a lead though I’ll keep an eye on the battery

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
My apologies, I was reading this post through my phone and only saw "lights and grind" on the title.

It got me excited for nothing.

I wish you all the luck of resolving your issue though.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Autostart/stop, hill assist, etc are all working fine. Battery was tested a few hundred miles ago when the oil was changed at the dealer and it was still reportedly fine and within spec. I’m wondering if something like the diff temp sensor for the computer is on its way out. That or I’ve got some sort of early trans failure going on. Terminals were clean last I looked though which was a couple weeks ago. Whole thing is just weird. Oh! And it’s the original battery from 2017. From my experience at Toyota it should be fine for another year or two and it’s never not started. Thanks for a lead though I’ll keep an eye on the battery
How about ditching the exhaust valve delete and go back to the standard configeration and monitor and see what happens. Seems the easiest thing to do and will at least eliminate the non OEM component.

Ciao

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS (RS1)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he has chopped off or changed the rear muffler, that might not be an option Phil?
I have the OE exhaust still. I’ll try that when my borla gets here because it’s definitely getting the valve back lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts