Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to buy an RS since they came out. However, putting my kids through college was more important. Kids graduated and now I have been in the hunt. I should also mention I am a long time lurker. I have gotten a wealth of information from this site. I have been looking on cargurus and emailing dealers. Looking for a low mileage focus and finding a lot of buybacks, which I don't want. I found a 2017 private owner focus and ask him when he had the head gasket done. He told me he never had it done. I asked him the build date and he told me 05/17. I wondering if it was done prior to him buying car and they never mentioned it. I was hoping if someone can help me out and run an oasis on the vin. I asked the seller and all he is telling me that the dealer said there are no open recalls. He is the original owner and he bought it last year. I have no problems buying it if it was done. I just want to know when it was done. The car has 13,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance.The vin is WF0DP3TH7H4125160

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
So for kicks (plus I'm bored at work lol) I added that VIN on my ford owners account. FWIW, no outstanding recalls or field service actions were found. I definitely had two field service actions on my own car in the past show up on this site (HG recall and CA emissions).

·
Registered
164 Posts
So for kicks (plus I'm bored at work lol) I added that VIN on my ford owners account. FWIW, no outstanding recalls or field service actions were found. I definitely had two field service actions on my own car in the past show up on this site (HG recall and CA emissions).
Since the FSA period closed I'm not sure if it will show up even for cars that needed the head gasket. The VIN itself seems high enough that it might have the correct gasket from the factory but this will require to look at the car and see if the rivet is on the gasket that is there now.

For the CA emissions, how did you clear it up? I spoke to my dealer about it and they said that since it's just a page to add to the manual there was nothing they could do to clear it so it still shows for mine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You able to see the build date for the cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, would you feel safe buying this car? Carfax is clean and it doesn't look it's been highly modified. It's a one owner car. He bought last year and has almost 13,000 miles. It has a COBB stage one+ carbon fiber package which includes a front motor mount to eliminate torque steer, carbon fiber cold air intake, COBB accessport tuner. It also has AWE switchpath full 3' exhaust with remote control for exhaust valve and black tips. Turbosmart shortie metal blow off valve to replace the factory plastic valve. Car is almost 12 hrs away and I am flying there and driving back. I just want to make some sure I am not buying someones else problem. Dealing with some of car dealers online seems to be more unsafe than the private owners. Had one dealer tell me it was a buyback because water got in engine and been taking care of and runs fine. I would think the majority of people having problems with their cars just traded them in. I might be wrong but that's what I think.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Thanks, I am aware of that sticker/date in the door jam. I am looking for the actual day, which I believe is displayed in some Internal Ford applications.
Unfortunately no, the myford site has pretty limited information since its for owners, so I only have recall, field service and maintenance info (which nothing is coming up for this car).

So, would you feel safe buying this car? Carfax is clean and it doesn't look it's been highly modified. It's a one owner car. He bought last year and has almost 13,000 miles. It has a COBB stage one+ carbon fiber package which includes a front motor mount to eliminate torque steer, carbon fiber cold air intake, COBB accessport tuner. It also has AWE switchpath full 3' exhaust with remote control for exhaust valve and black tips. Turbosmart shortie metal blow off valve to replace the factory plastic valve. Car is almost 12 hrs away and I am flying there and driving back. I just want to make some sure I am not buying someones else problem. Dealing with some of car dealers online seems to be more unsafe than the private owners. Had one dealer tell me it was a buyback because water got in engine and been taking care of and runs fine. I would think the majority of people having problems with their cars just traded them in. I might be wrong but that's what I think.
Just like any "used" car, before flying out there, I would try to set-up a PPI (prepurchase inspection) with an independent shop nearby, preferably one with experience with these cars. Most private sellers I've bought cars from are willing to take it to the shop for a PPI if they don't have anything to hide. They should find if there is anything majorly wrong with the car or any little things that may or may not dissuade you from buying the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Best advice yet. I will do that. I should have thought of that. Anyone out there can you recommend a good company? I would prefer a company that actually goes to the owner.

·
Registered
152 Posts
05/17 build date, the head gaskets were not replaced? Why not? Why would the original owner not have had that done? I’ve been told many times on here & YouTube that the build date has to be a late 2017. Anything after 07/17. I would never buy a 05/17 build date RS that hasn’t had the head gaskets replaced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Best thing to do on a 2017 is to be patient & buy a CPO car at a Ford Dealer. These cars are getting older by the day & engine/powertrain is in question. Also, I’m keeping an eye out for those left over 2017s that were first titled in late 2018, to ensure that I have the most 3/36 warranty left. The first questions I ask are: “Were the head gaskets replaced & what’s the build date”. If I can’t see documentation of that then I walk away. No way in hell I’m spending 35k on suspect head gaskets. If it were up to me I’d rather have a 2018, however blue & red cars aren’t my ideal favorites. I’ll say his though, if I did want a blue car, there’s zero chance I’d buy a 2017 over a 2018. Buy the final edition & have the correct gaskets & better ride.

Also, just FYI but you had mentioned Lemon buybacks. No way... avoid those at all costs & make sure your insurance will even cover the car, which if you have AAA, they will not insure a buyback vehicle.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
AWS Claim KeyTrx CodeTime In ServiceLabor HoursDealershipDIST (Miles)Repair DatePrefixBaseSuffixDoc
Details476200317B3209.2ADAMSON FORD, L.L.C.424-JAN-18***025921A
Customer CommentsCampaign number: 17B32 HEAD GASKET LEAKS AND HEAD CORROSION
Tech CommentsFSA; PRESSURE TESTED AND PER RESULTS REPLACED HEADGASKET TECH474

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best thing to do on a 2017 is to be patient & buy a CPO car at a Ford Dealer. These cars are getting older by the day & engine/powertrain is in question. Also, I’m keeping an eye out for those left over 2017s that were first titled in late 2018, to ensure that I have the most 3/36 warranty left. The first questions I ask are: “Were the head gaskets replaced & what’s the build date”. If I can’t see documentation of that then I walk away. No way in hell I’m spending 35k on suspect head gaskets. If it were up to me I’d rather have a 2018, however blue & red cars aren’t my ideal favorites. I’ll say his though, if I did want a blue car, there’s zero chance I’d buy a 2017 over a 2018. Buy the final edition & have the correct gaskets & better ride.

Also, just FYI but you had mentioned Lemon buybacks. No way... avoid those at all costs & make sure your insurance will even cover the car, which if you have AAA, they will not insure a buyback vehicle.

Did just that, bought a CPO car at a Ford Dealer with 2,700 miles. It has a build date of 11/17. Previous car I was looking at owner didn't seem thrilled I was sending a mechanic to look at. Paid $34,500 for a NB with RS2 package but with only 2,700 and being CPO it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did just that, bought a CPO car at a Ford Dealer with 2,700 miles. It has a build date of 11/17. Previous car I was looking at owner didn't seem thrilled I was sending a mechanic to look at. Paid $34,500 for a NB with RS2 package but with only 2,700 and being CPO it was worth it to me.

That sounds like a super nice car & with such a late build date & less than 3k miles, that’s a good deal. I’ve always told myself the less miles the better on anything used, especially a performance car like an RS.

It still blows me away to see these things priced at 32-34k with 20-30k miles on them. These dealers must be insane however people keep buying them, so trying to get a decent deal on one is nearly impossible. If I ever see a white one pop up locally with under 15k miles & priced around 30k I’ll go & look, but I don’t see myself paying any more than that + factor in 3k in sales tax etc. many of these cars are only 1-2yrs old & already have 2-3 owners which also really bugs me. Oh & factor in that I live in CA. & everything is 4-5k more. Your car with only 2.7k miles in CA is being sold for 37-38k & usually gone within a week. It’s like guys are standing there & waiting in line to buy one of these for full asking price.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don’t even get me started on CARMAX. Yes, they have some very nice RS’s for sale, but if you’re in CA expect to pay 36-38k & there’s zero chance they’ll negotiate the price. How & why they sell so many vehicles is beyond me. Maybe someone can explain?

·
Registered
523 Posts
That sounds like a super nice car & with such a late build date & less than 3k miles, that’s a good deal. I’ve always told myself the less miles the better on anything used, especially a performance car like an RS.

It still blows me away to see these things priced at 32-34k with 20-30k miles on them. These dealers must be insane however people keep buying them, so trying to get a decent deal on one is nearly impossible. If I ever see a white one pop up locally with under 15k miles & priced around 30k I’ll go & look, but I don’t see myself paying any more than that + factor in 3k in sales tax etc. many of these cars are only 1-2yrs old & already have 2-3 owners which also really bugs me. Oh & factor in that I live in CA. & everything is 4-5k more. Your car with only 2.7k miles in CA is being sold for 37-38k & usually gone within a week. It’s like guys are standing there & waiting in line to buy one of these for full asking price.

If you buy used do you have to pay taxes in Cali? In Nevada the benefit of buying a used car is you can get away without paying sales tax

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you buy used do you have to pay taxes in Cali? In Nevada the benefit of buying a used car is you can get away without paying sales tax

Yes, I’d have to pay tax in the state I’m registering the car in. For example, if I bought an RS at a Ford Dealer in Vegas, they would include sales in for my zip code in the purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts