Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the VW scandal news that broke Friday, although specifically related to diesel cars, it may mean some extra discounts available on Golf R models as VW scrambles to save customer trust overall?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
With the VW scandal news that broke Friday, although specifically related to diesel cars, it may mean some extra discounts available on Golf R models as VW scrambles to save customer trust overall?
Well considering their stock dropped 20%, there may be some good incentives coming along.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Huge scandal. What to do with all those cars. Fix them? Is that doable and if so at what cost. Buy them back... Could be costly. VW is getting hammered on this.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Huge scandal. What to do with all those cars. Fix them? Is that doable and if so at what cost. Buy them back... Could be costly. VW is getting hammered on this.
Around $37,500 is a max fee that VW can get per car and considering there was like 470,00+ cars involved in the scandal...VW could possibly be facing with almost $18bill in fees. But, doubt it will go that high, not even close.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Around $37,500 is a max fee that VW can get per car and considering there was like 470,00+ cars involved in the scandal...VW could possibly be facing with almost $18bill in fees. But, doubt it will go that high, not even close.
It's 11 million cars worldwide. They are setting aside half a years profits JUST to fix the cars. You know there are going to be some lawsuits on top of that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/business/international/volkswagen-diesel-car-scandal.html?_r=0

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's lost $27 BILLION dollars in value so far.

Also I thought yesterday would have been a good time to buy, but it dropped another 19% since yesterday ;)
It's a game you know it. Got to follow news and get the timing right. But you know they will bounce back. Sooner or later. :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's a game you know it. Got to follow news and get the timing right. But you know they will bounce back. Sooner or later. :cool:
Istupar87 is right, VW wouldn't have taken a risk to do this unless they had a recovery plan in the event they got caught...which they did. They will be back. May take a couple of years but they aren't going anywhere. They still have Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, and Skoda to get them through this.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Never been a fan of VW. Owned a Jetta once brand new ordered it, built in Germany (wagons are built in Germany) and it remains the worst car I've ever owned. The way the dealer and VW of America handled things turned me off from ever owning one agin.

·
Super Moderator
15,324 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Might be a good time to get into a Gold R at a rockin, lowball price. Unless they got some other wonky software in that thing as well.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Might be a good time to get into a Gold R at a rockin, lowball price. Unless they got some other wonky software in that thing as well.
Every RS thread seems to have gone to pot, including this one. Everyone thinks they are an "expert" about subjects they know absolutely nothing about. The diesel emission problem is not going to change the Golf R's price, but you can already buy Golf Rs at MSRP and some have gotten for as low as invoice +$200.

Both the RS and the R are good performance hatches in the $35-40K range. Each has their advantages and disavantages.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well right now it doesn't look good for VW any way you put it. You have a possible 18 Billion fine from the US alone and with many other countries looking into it who knows, then comes the cost to perform a recall to fix the matter of the 11m vehicles. They may be able to perform a reflash and detune the engine, but I believe the cause of this was high Nox, so add fuel or pull timing both of which will effect MPG and power, so this leaves the door open for some type of customer reimbursement as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Every RS thread seems to have gone to pot, including this one. Everyone thinks they are an "expert" about subjects they know absolutely nothing about. The diesel emission problem is not going to change the Golf R's price, but you can already buy Golf Rs at MSRP and some have gotten for as low as invoice +$200.

Both the RS and the R are good performance hatches in the $35-40K range. Each has their advantages and disavantages.
I'm no expert and my gibberish you quoted is pure speculation. If i had known that you - a fully-credentialed industry analyst - would be policing and fact checking this thread with your magic eight ball for Golf R forecasts, I wouldn't have said anything.

/rollseyes

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I'm no expert and my gibberish you quoted is pure speculation. If i had known that you - a fully-credentialed industry analyst - would be policing and fact checking this thread with your magic eight ball for Golf R forecasts, I wouldn't have said anything.

/rollseyes
No my point was everyone is putting out "gibberish" ... as you have confirmed you did.

Each thread on the RS forum seems to have reach "gibberish saturation".

.... Meaning most threads have lost their information and reading value.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
148 Posts
No my point was everyone is putting out "gibberish" ... as you have confirmed you did.

Each thread on the RS forum seems to have reach "gibberish saturation".

.... Meaning most threads have lost their information and reading value.
Got it...sorry boss. No more fun or silliness in this car fan forum. If you clowns want to have "fun" you better take your shenanigans some place else.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll tell you what. Perfect time to buy their stock.
I worked for VW while i was in college. They are a great, very calculated company. The legal and marketing teams are outstanding. Just wait to buy that stock. The exact day will be the day that the North American operations president is sitting in front of the senate committee. Not the day after nor the day before. VWOA prez. will be polished, humbled and remised. After that it will business as usual. VW is to important to the world market. They will be slapped but not broken. The behind the current dealing will be worked out long before the senate committee dog and pony show.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Why RS is better than Golf R even though it doesn't come in Race Red

I worked for VW while i was in college. They are a great, very calculated company. The legal and marketing teams are outstanding. Just wait to buy that stock. The exact day will be the day that the North American operations president is sitting in front of the senate committee. Not the day after nor the day before. VWOA prez. will be polished, humbled and remised. After that it will business as usual. VW is to important to the world market. They will be slapped but not broken. The behind the current dealing will be worked out long before the senate committee dog and pony show.
I had a Golf R on order for a great price, Invoice +$200 = $38,843. I test drove the 2016 Golf R twice. Then VW got caught in blatant fraud by programming software to defeat the EPA diesel emissions testing. As a token surrender the VW CEO Winterkorn resigned. There s a potential $18 billion in fines and potential class action suits initiated by the ambulance chasing lawyers on behalf of the current TDI diesel owners. Additional fraud and business corruption will likely be uncovered at VW and if so it might not be business as usual again for VW. The stock price dropped from $170 to $95 and Friday came back up to $101. If you are a strong VW believer and have money to invest, buy VW stock. Even if VW recovers, it will take a lot of PR and time to recover the public's lost trust; who is laughing at the "clean diesel" slogan VW purported in their advertising.

I was cross-shopping the Ford Focus RS with the Golf R, because I wasn't sure how limited the RS would be and if there would be ADM. My primary goals were and still are: a "fun" 5-door hatchback to use a DD that has: (1) manual shift, (2) performance, and (3) AWD. I currently have a ST and I like everything about it except for the torque steer ( I know there a lot of performance modifications some of which reduce torque steer, but mine is stock ). For me the Golf R had some advantages: (1) better mileage 22/31/25 compared to RS 20/29/23, (2) bigger gas tank 14.5 compared to 12.4, better inside finish but not as much better as they say IMHO, better rear leg room 35.6 inches compared to 33.2, rain sensing wipers, DAP( drivers Assistance Package)=Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Park Distance Control (front and rear); Front assist with autonomous emergency braking; Blind spot alert with rear traffic alert; Lane assist (lane departure warning system), and best of all decent colors: Tornado Red, Lapiz Blue Metallic, and Limestone Grey Metallic.

Wow that favors the Golf R, so why did I cancel my Golf R and put a deposit down on the RS ?

So why is the Ford RS better even though is costs more ??
(1) Ford has better long term viability; VW has stability problems in company viability and truthfulness
(2) RS Triple Black actual looks great: Shadow Black, optional painted balck alloy wheels, and black tint. I acceded since Ford wouldn't let me have Race Red.
(3) RS much more performance; AWD is much much better than Haldex
(4) RS much better looking car IMHO : a RS doesn't look like a normal Focus or even ST, A Golf R looks like a regular Golf.
(5) RS service costs less.
(6) RS more reliable; VWs including Golf Rs seem to have a plethora of problems.
(7) RS has better customer service and Ford dealers closer and more convenient to me.
(8) I love my ST, ST3, but the RS is a step up with no torque steer :D and will brand new.

Thanks for listening ( sorry so long)

YMMV,

MidCow3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
10 Participants
Dave-ROR
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing