Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, the competition is getting fierce!

I would bet that VW didn't want to be one-upped by the RS and decided to release the R 400 here.

If you're like us, and have been drooling over the Volkswagen Golf R 400 concept since it was first unveiled in Beijing last year, we've got some potentially good news for you. Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neusser, member of the board of management responsible for development at Volkswagen, told Autoblog that the Golf R 400 will definitely come to the US... if it gets the production green light, anyway.
Volkswagen Golf R 400 will come to US

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The problem with the R 400 is that it is not direct competition for the RS. This is what the RS500 is for and I'm sure because of this vehicle we will see one. Good news for us, maybe the Tech engineered for the RS500 will become a power package for the RS, like the last Gen.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Been wondering if I should wait to see if an RS500 is following in 17 or get the RS this year.
I honestly wouldn't waste my time. The only difficult transition the RS made to RS500 form was the wrap, you could pick up the power upgrades from Mountune. If you are a collector then the choice is obvious but still a gamble. The RS500 sold out in 12 hours I believe, but with the RS being global, we could see a RS2000 ect. If you primary reason for the RS is performance then going of the last RS500, I don't think it would be ideal to hold off.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"If it gets the production green light, anyway."

This is like saying, "I'm buying a Ferrari dammit.................if I win the lottery." LOL
Sadly even if you won the lottery you would have to own a Ferrari first to buy a new one lol. Oh and forget about things like the LaFerrari they contact you!

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
LOL, the reverse cam hidden in the logo is so... cute. LOL Where is the handle to open the hatch, or is that part of the logo's features too?

·
Registered
62 Posts
At least the R400 actually looks good. The R is boring.

Tappin with my Galaxy S6

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think it's insane that they can pull 400 - 420+ PS out of a 2.0L engine. This begs the question - I wonder what the reliable mod ceiling of the Focus RS is with the stock block and how much that AWD system can really take.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think it's insane that they can pull 400 - 420+ PS out of a 2.0L engine. This begs the question - I wonder what the reliable mod ceiling of the Focus RS is with the stock block and how much that AWD system can really take.
How so? 1000HP out of a 2.0L engine is "old school".

·
Registered
141 Posts
How so? 1000HP out of a 2.0L engine is "old school".
I should have qualified my statement with 'reliable horsepower'. When VW says that their R400 makes 400hp, they really mean about 430+hp because they love to underrate things. This '400hp' will be useable every day, under every condition whether it's freezing or scorching hot, and will not melt your engine into slag when used.

1000hp using like 50lbs of boost and tons of meth injection, E85 etc. is not really what I would consider to be 'reliable horsepower'.

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Interesting and some good info on numbers. HP hits its peak at 6250rpms according to those TQ numbers. I'm also surprised at how low the TQ numbers are, so I wouldn't expect the band to start any where lower then 3k. I wouldn't of even thought TQ would be an issue for the trans, especially with only 332lb FT. Flipping through the pics, they also state it could come with a 10 speed DSG, talk about adding weight in the wrong place, I'm also unsure how it would fit.

I would love for this market to start growing popularity, knowing after a few years of having the RS when its time to trade up there will be a next level of performance. The question just comes as to will it be worth it or not. Take the ST, GTI, and then look at the RS and R. There is a huge leap in performance enhancements, but I doubt this will offer the same leap and still maintain the gap in price. I don't really understand any one who says they would rather mod their ST instead of getting an RS seeing as it would take me about 8K for my ST to be where I want and still have the FWD traction issues. If you have a RS or an R though, would it warrant spending about 6-10K for a hotter version like the R400 or maybe a future RS500, I just don't think so. You would be way better off putting a turbo kit on or beefing up the weak points, I'm not too sure about the R but the RS doesn't look like it have many, but time will tell.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting and some good info on numbers. HP hits its peak at 6250rpms according to those TQ numbers. I'm also surprised at how low the TQ numbers are, so I wouldn't expect the band to start any where lower then 3k. I wouldn't of even thought TQ would be an issue for the trans, especially with only 332lb FT. Flipping through the pics, they also state it could come with a 10 speed DSG, talk about adding weight in the wrong place, I'm also unsure how it would fit.

I would love for this market to start growing popularity, knowing after a few years of having the RS when its time to trade up there will be a next level of performance. The question just comes as to will it be worth it or not. Take the ST, GTI, and then look at the RS and R. There is a huge leap in performance enhancements, but I doubt this will offer the same leap and still maintain the gap in price. I don't really understand any one who says they would rather mod their ST instead of getting an RS seeing as it would take me about 8K for my ST to be where I want and still have the FWD traction issues. If you have a RS or an R though, would it warrant spending about 6-10K for a hotter version like the R400 or maybe a future RS500, I just don't think so. You would be way better off putting a turbo kit on or beefing up the weak points, I'm not too sure about the R but the RS doesn't look like it have many, but time will tell.
I don't understand it either. There is a fundamental difference between AWD and FWD that can't be modded away, so they can forget about the ST matching the RS as far as AWD vs FWD goes. A modded ST will not recoup the cost of the mods installed to match the RS. There is also the issue of reliability - aftermarket mods are not always superior to OEM. I had an aftermarket swaybar on my MS3 which broke 2 or 3 brackets and started rusting / flaking and coming loose in only a couple years. I actually switched BACK to the OEM swaybar, and all that sh*t just went away.

As for spending more money for a higher level of Golf R / Focus RS, that kind of defeats the point of the Golf R / Focus RS, which is to be affordable high performance without the luxury tax of getting an Audi or BMW. If I wanted to spend more than the asking price of the Golf R / Focus RS, I'm looking at the Audi S4 or the 335i xDrive.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
^ this. At $55k + I'm saving a little more money and getting a cayman s, M3/4, or C63...that's just too close to that territory...although i like it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
GNS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing