Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
untitled.png

January 24, 2016 By Cars UK

The VW Golf R420 will be close behind the facelifted Golf. But will it be coming to the US?

The Volkswagen Golf MK 7 will get a facelift for 2016 which will debut at the Geneva Motor Show, and the Golf R420 will go in to production soon after.

We did think the VW Golf would get a facelift towards the end of 2016, but it seems like its arriving somewhat earlier and will debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

The facelift won’t be a huge one cosmetically — probably the usual bumpers, lights, colour and trim options — but it will be a bit more extensive on the technology front.

Auto Bild reports the 2016 Golf will be getting LED headlights across the range, digital instruments on the higher end models and a heads-up display too.

Other changes include the adoption of the electric powertrain in the Passat GTE for the Golf GTE, which will see an improvement for the Golf in both power and torque, and more three-cylinder engines to improve economy and emissions.

It also seems the early arrival of the facelifted Golf will mean an early arrival for the Golf R420 too.

We reported last summer that the Volkswagen Golf R420 was due to arrive as a production take on the R400 Concept — becoming the quickest production Golf ever — by 2017, but it seems it will now arrive this year instead.

All of which may help shine a slightly more positive light on VW at Geneva. Unless we have any more damaging dieselgate news in the meantime.

Read more: VW Golf Facelift at Geneva 2016 - and the Golf R420 will be close behind

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
speculation put it at $55k which puts that out of my range, never mind I work for Ford lol does sound nice though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Doubt the R420 will make it to the US. They'd be better off making an Audi RS3 for our shores because the likely 50-60k price demands brand cache here. Also, VW has a lot of clean up work and costs to cover before they develop a new halo model.....but the more the merrier and I'll certainly enjoy reading about the R420 if/when it gets produced!

·
5,586 Posts
Funny how VW fast forwarding its updates and bringing out it's big gun. I can only wonder why...two letters :)

LoL..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Too bad the drivetrain isnt made for that much power. And they wont change much (if anything at all) about it because it would cannibalize RS3 sales and drive the price up by too much.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Look.. VW is in too much trouble with the EPA, to be coming out with high powered engines. These rumors & news clips are to make Germany executives feel good about themselves, this story is not based on reality.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes has had many... many years to bring the hot hatches over to North America. Being smug didn't help those companies & executives and now Ford capitalized & stole the show.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
5,586 Posts
Imagine it has replaced haldex with gkn rdu...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dieselgate casualty.

Now, if they'll just tell me what they're going to do with my wife's 09 Jetta TDI...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Or maybe..... Audi went to the board meeting and had a cry about sales loss of for their overpriced RS3 ( well overpriced in Oz ).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Or maybe..... Audi went to the board meeting and had a cry about sales loss of for their overpriced RS3 ( well overpriced in Oz ).
RS3 is going to be a sedan in the US, just like the current A3 and S3. So it shouldn't be a direct competitor with the R400 hatch. Plus the RS3 will undoubtedly be much more expensive, similar to the Golf R and S3 price difference.

Hope the R400 is 4 doors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When it comes to money I would be more likely to spend it in the VW R400 ( if it ever makes a appearance) as you are getting a unique car at 1/4 less. Just to give you a idea of how expensive the RS3 is, its 105kAUD (including taxes and a RS1 package ), which is around 80k US in Australia. Just to compare the RS is 58k on the road fully loaded (45,500usd). So my point is; someone would be silly not to look at a RS when it's such a close competitor and such a saving in value, Christ 40k is a lot of money, just as the R400 would be a bargain if they were to sell it here for the anticipated 75k AUD. I think Audi would be worried.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A bit of life after +2yrs of silence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts