Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few fun sessions with TrackDaze this week. I felt more confident than previously. Maybe the extra sidewall, or maybe some placebo effect. ;)

Got a low fuel warning after a couple laps, took it easy after that. Nothing more embarrassing than shutting down the track day so you can get rescued for running out of gas.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I recall feeling the same way when I made the switch to 18" track wheels/tires. I used to track with my stock wheels and cheap track tires (Federal RS-RRs) before making the switch to 18" wheels (OZ Hyper GT HLTs) and Hankook R-S4's. Granted, it's a pretty unfair comparison considering the difference in compounds and over all rotating mass.

That said, I think having the extra sidewall definitely helps with compliance, specially for bumpy tracks like my local track. I feel like what ever I lost in turn-in sharpness was gained two-fold from stability and confidence I had attacking the curbs.

Now, this doesn't mean going 17's would be even better. There was one track day where I was forced to switch to my street set-up (17" Braids w/ PS4S) due to the rain. Boy that set-up felt really spongy and lazy on turn-in.

I definitely think 18" is the "sweet spot" for the track: decent turn-in, better compliance and most importantly, cheaper and has a huge selection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts