Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty frustrated with my recent service experience. I have a 2016 RS that I bought May of last year. The dealership would not sell it to me until the head gasket recall was completed (understandable) which took about 4 weeks if I remember right. About 1 month back I noticed oil on the banjo bolt like many others. I took it into the dealership and let them know what I saw and also asked if they knew about the revision to the head gasket install process and that many others have noticed oil on the oil return line and it ended up being a leak from higher up. The original tech said it was the oil pan bolt so I voiced my concerns about the leak being higher up so they had another tech look at it who said it was the banjo bolt. So it was replaced. I was curious if this was the fix so I waited a few weeks (I don't drive it every day) to see if the leak would come back. Lo and behold, it was still leaking. I could clearly see where it was leaking from the back right of the engine near the brass ring of the head gasket. I called the dealership to let them know this and if I could drop the car off (it was a Saturday) and they could get to it whenever. They said I needed an apt and the closest apt was 2 weeks out. I asked the adviser what happens if the leak causes an engine failure and was told "well, sir that is on you." Pretty professional, huh? Not exactly since the leak was misdiagnosed and my car is under the factory warranty still. I drop the RS off over a week ago and go 5 days before they call me back with the news. Service adviser tells me that the HEAD GASKET was the source and that they would be replacing it, so I was pretty happy about that. Fast forward to 0800 today when I go pick it up. I didn't have time to look over everything really good b/c today is my Son’s birthday so I have to get over to the store to pick up decorations and a cake so my wife does not kill me. I get in the parking lot and while the car is cooling down I look over the work order and notice that they did NOT replace the head gasket but rather re installed the timing cover and all associated parts with that process and that the order also shows 2 different engine oils being billed so I don't know if they used the right oil or the wrong oil. I also notice a gouge to the R. side of the bumper cover that was not there when I dropped it off (not very large, about 1 inch). I'm fuming at this point, so I decided to call the dealership back and voice my concerns. The advisor I was talking with told me that she would go ask the tech which oil was used. She puts me on hold for about 5 minutes before getting back on the line and then telling me the tech said the right oil was used. I still wasn't happy with that answer so I drove back up to the shop and talked to the advisor I picked the car up from. I voiced my concerns to him and he proceeds to see if the tech that did the job was working today and says "unfortunately the tech that worked on your car is not here today and the service dept manager is off as well as my original service advisor." So, I was basically lied to on the phone! I asked him to take down my concerns and have the manager call me back Monday morning. I want the oil changed unless they can show me tangible PROOF that the right oil was used and I want monetary compensation for the gouge in the cover of the bumper. I was an autobody tech here in town for many years before switching careers so I would much rather repair it myself than risk them screwing something else up. Maybe these requests are unreasonable? I washed my car by hand and took very detailed pictures of the entire vehicle with timestamps 30 minutes before I dropped her off. Cosmetically, I expect my car back in the same shape that I take it there in. I hate to be nitpicky. It’s on the right side of the bumper cover in the exact location where a button, belt buckle, car keys or tools in a pocket, etc would scratch it while leaned up against it while working on the timing cover. You can clearly see there is no gouge, scratch, or flaw before dropping her off. I’m going to give them a change to make things right come Monday. Sorry for the long winded story but this whole experience thus far has been a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What you just went through is the "Ford experience," and is why many RS owners here probably wont be getting another Ford.

The timing cover can be a source of the leak and might fix your problem, only time will tell.

Regarding your other stuff, open a case at the Ford Service 800 number. Then don't go back to that dealer after they fix your bumper, ever. Consider changing the oil yourself to the right Ford stuff.

Also, buy an extended warranty from @GreatWhiteBuffalo so you can get a loaner when the car goes back in for service

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Yup, shocking.

So similar to my experiences - how do you have disrespect, ignorance, and lack of care - at so many Ford service departments?

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it still has the leak to me. There are a bunch of notches on the ribs of the crank pulley where they were prying against it for some reason which will likely cause premature belt wear, and there is a dang bolt on the lower R. side of the timing cover that is just sticking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Historically, I have done almost all the work on my cars for this very reason. I wish they would just give me the parts and pay me the labor and just let me fix it myself! Oh, and one of the ducts on my undertray is crushed too. Ive got pictures of everything that I am going to post up. I really hate it b/c I absolutely love this car but after something like this, it makes me not even want to keep the dang thing. I can imaging that it will be a dog fight come Monday. I am still under factory warranty until May of next year and I did buy an extended plan when I originally purchased it. Ive replaced many of heads, head gaskets, motors, etc and never had any issues. So I really wasn't too concerned with the head gasket issues and recall's. Its just the whole experience. I had an apt scheduled for 2 weeks in advance and the day I dropped it off, they didn't want to give me a loaner! I had to be pretty persistent and then magically they "found" an escape to put me in. Sucks to hear that you and so many others have had the same issue. Just boils down to the almighty dollar and not treating people the way they would like to be treated I suppose.

·
5,608 Posts
How to destroy a Focus RS.

Very sad to read this, and suspect dealer mechanic incompetence or Ford limiting training of Master techs to do the job properly once and for all.

I gather this will not be the last time we read posts like this. Hoping for OP a quick fix but seems there may be more damage elsewhere now due to murphys law.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
WElcome and sorry for the circumstance.

They better treat you right. Coming from a 3 Ford house, if this happened to me the blue oval brand will be tarnished to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. I have owned nothing but Fords my entire life. Currently I have a bronco, RS, and Edge. Had a Focus ST in the not to distant past and a focus zx3 for over a decade and a ton of mustangs before all of these. To be honest, Ive never had any issues until now. Though this is the first Ford I have ever taken to a dealership for work too.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I avoid dealers, especially Ford, GM, Chrysler dealers, and have for years....bc of all of the reasons stated above. With that said, warranty fixes are limited to the dealer. I searched and got feedback on which FoRd dealers and specific mechanics were trustworthy by talking with Ford performance enthusiasts. Settled on a Rousch/Ford dealer that trained mechanics and scheduled my work with one of the recommended mechanics. Unfortunately they are only as good as the materials/procedures that Ford specs. So after the HG work, the wrong sealant process resulted in a leak. Like the OP they followed the Ford procedure of banjo bolt then oil line repair before doing the resealing.....bc Ford told them they needed to do those before they'd approve further work. So the problem starts with Ford, but dealers contribute to the problem. Most Ford service techs are terrible, and mechanics are hit or miss.

I will only go to the dealer for warranty when I have no options. Only get oil changes bc the dealer does those in the open on a lift I can actually watch what is being done and talk with the mechanic doing the job. Trust but varify!

·
Registered
218 Posts
All typical with low volume, European Fords in American dealerships. I owned a 1980 Fiesta and was told by the dealership it was a very difficult car to work on. It wasn't, but it did have metric nuts and bolts. I owned a Merkur XR4Ti and was told the same thing. Took it in because the turbo lost power and was quoted $2500+ to replace the turbo. I bought a $1 hardened bolt I noticed was missing, put it in, and drove the car another 100k miles.

Ford techs like focus se and f150s

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not overly optimistic at this point. I stopped by the dealership on the way home to get a loaner and apt time for tomorrow. Asked if they talked to the tech to which they said, "yes but he does not understand what you are talking about." Check out my pictures I posted about the crank pulley, oil, and bolt sticking out near the compressor on the bottom right, and the crushed duct on the skid plate. I asked that my oil be changed if they cannot SHOW ME proof that the wrong oil was billed back to the parts dept to which they said, "we will see tomorrow." I'm not even going to try and argue my case tomorrow. They are either going to fix the stuff that is wrong or I will be seeking a lawyer's advice. When I was a tech, it was our responsibility to point out any damage to a vehicle that the owner may not have known about before we worked on it. The service manager would come and look at the damage, take pictures and then call the customer to let them know that something was damaged, if they wanted it replaced, and authorization to continue working on the car (esp damage to a dang pulley that will likely cause belt failure sooner or later and the dang tech had to take off and reinstall)! Seems pretty simple! How am I suppose to have any confidence in this shop, dealership, manager, tech, etc. and take their word that the oil is right or they did not damage the pulley (which they did!!!!!!!), and that they reinspected their work and the cover for oil leaks when a freaking bolt at the perimeter of the cover is not even tightened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've bought 3 Fords from this particular dealership over the last 2 years and will be in the market again here very soon. Fat change in hell I buy another vehicle from them or Ford at this point. I hope it was worth it! The car had 700 miles on it when I bought it last year. Other than having an alignment checked on it, it has been in their shop for the initial head gasket recall, the banjo bolt replacement, and last week for the timing cover reseal. All the work has been done at their shop! So the really cant blame anyone else though it seems that's exactly what is about to happen tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it blackstone that does the oil analysis? Are they able to tell me if it was 5w30 vs. 5w50 if I send in a sample?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh man, I remember saying that dealers weren't going to be able to handle this car during the announcement of the FSA for the head gasket and I got excoriated by all the Ford/corporate America bootlickers. To them, this car is an inconvenience and a hassle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Really sorry to hear this. Just another example of the deadly mix of incompetence and overconfidence. They think they know, but no they really don't. To them your 50k focus is no different than an 18k focus, and it's still "just a ford", therefore they seriously don't give a sh*t about your car. Plus what is an average focus owner like? The last one I asked didn't even know what engine they had in the car. They'll be okay as long as the car has four wheels and runs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exact scenario. My surrender appointment is next week. 17 RS ruined by recall and multiple HG/Timing Cover repairs. Good riddance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a pretty similar experience. First they said the banjo bolt on the turbo oil feed line was leaking. Had to wait for 8 days for that to get delivered and replaced although I told them that it isn't the source - they could have easily looked and it was visible the leak was coming from the time chain cover.

When it became clear that the leak is not coming from the turbo lines and they refused to give me a replacement car I got pretty pissed and it was at that point that I got to speak to the manager of the franchise. Things got a lot better once that happened. I know a guy who works at that dealership so he recommended a mechanic whom I met. We had a talk and he was pretty knowledgable. We agreed they have to redo the HG replacement. The manager promised me he will be the only one working on my car (I was ok with some delay due to the fact that he had other things to do as well) and arranged for a replacement car. The whole thing took 2 weeks (they waited for parts for most of the time). They checked if the head was warped (it wasn't) and sent it to a machine shop before they reinstalled it. I got the car back last week and so far so good. It used to have an intermittent rough idle when it was warm which is gone now so I hope all is well. I guess I'll know for sure after I put some more miles on the car.

Hope you sort it out quickly and get a meaningful compensation for your troubles and the damage caused. Don't you have another dealership close by where you can take the car? As many others have said unfortunately this is the ford experience with our cars.

·
5,608 Posts
Great to read positive stories like yours @bongie.
Thnx for sharing.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems like you have to interview the senior techs who are about to work on your car to figure if they are capable of handling it. I found a good tech to do my HG surgery, but other than that him and the transmission guy the others are hit and miss.

I wonder if the Raptor or Roush F-150 guys have to deal with this crap?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
My first experience with mechanics was from a “guy” whose motto was “close enough.” Naval aviation taught me “close enough” is a death sentence! Unfortunately most dealerships aren’t faced with customers who check, so close enough is....well, close enough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts