Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Anyone brave enough to try this with FORScan?

I found it while looking for a Bambi mode tutorial for another member on here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have definitely noticed this when using the 'on-ramp' to the highway (in stock 2018 RS) .

Usually in third, 3-4000RPM accelerating out of the hairpin corner and then hard along the ramp to about 60-70 before shifting into 4th. Depressing the clutch seems to initiate/increase the shimmying.

It was definitely enough to grab my attention the first time and make me back off the throttle.

Would be interesting to find out why it happens. Obviously it is a very heavily used part of the road so I'm sure the surface isn't as good as it could be.

·
5,622 Posts
Because the RS is heavily fwd bias?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have definitely noticed this when using the 'on-ramp' to the highway (in stock 2018 RS) .

Usually in third, 3-4000RPM accelerating out of the hairpin corner and then hard along the ramp to about 60-70 before shifting into 4th. Depressing the clutch seems to initiate/increase the shimmying.

It was definitely enough to grab my attention the first time and make me back off the throttle.

Would be interesting to find out why it happens. Obviously it is a very heavily used part of the road so I'm sure the surface isn't as good as it could be.
I've had the traction control light flash at 40mph on a tight cloverleaf. Maybe the traction control + unsettling the car from shifting caused the issues? Depends on how you're driving it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have simar issues here with a late 2019 rs le. Tracking an english blog the PDC is the issue - designed to handle wind gusts on an autobahn at speed automatically.
Car is fantastic in hills. In a straight drop to 5th & accelerate to pass another car and im fighting the car overcorrecting - nearly put me off the road half a dozen times now... Blog said they can dial PDC compensation dow to zero in the UK. Ford locally say they cant. Anyone in OZ managed to disab l e the PDC? Cheers Mike

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Man, My RS tracks straight as an Arrow.

2nd gear pull, no hands, and 2nd gear WOT upshift to 3rd no hands.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Man, My RS tracks straight as an Arrow...
Mine tracks straight as well. That said, if you poke ANY high-powered FWD/AWD vehicle while crossing uneven pavement like passing another car and crossing the crown in the road, it WILL have steering inputs from the tire feedback. It’s a fact.

Even my 6000+ pound 2018 Raptor will pull the wheel across uneven pavement. People on the Raptor forums whine about it as well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mine also is straight at low speeds. I think the issue is apparent 4th gear up on the highway. Mine is better than it was after numerous mods, but I still suspect this pdc is driving the car. There is no denying that the feature exists and is active on our cars. The question is how intrusive is the system.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ford's electronic power assist system EPAS I think they call their power steering (non hydraulic) has a feature, pull drift compensation PDC. This exists on numerous ford cars, the raptor included I'd wager. Not sure who's whining, I think any purist can appreciate wanting to eliminate all electronic driving aids. Abs and pdc included.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man, My RS tracks straight as an Arrow.

2nd gear pull, no hands, and 2nd gear WOT upshift to 3rd no hands.

I wouldn't be game to try that in my own car. I commonly experience what I think is typical torque steer behaviour (influenced by imperfect road surfaces in my neighbourhood) under hard acceleration. I have on one occasion experienced the 'veering' that others have referred to in the form of a sudden and seemingly inexplicable four foot pitch off straight ahead. Best way to describe it would be like a phantom giving a sharp 15-20 degree tug on the steering wheel. I have driven the same section of road in the same manner and a variety of conditions numerous times since and it has never happened again.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I've only had it happen once. Crowned narrow rough Australian back road tarmac with chewed ragged edges, just the place for accuracy. Pulled out to overtake and accelerated hard at same time, it tried to throw itself off road into tree with a 4 foot veer. I caught it but my passenger and I both thought it was really extreme and not just torque steer. Never happened again.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts