Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Veering/ zig zagging steering under hard acceleration is widely reported issue in the Uk can't seem to find much about the issue here, I guess you guys are calling it something else are there many topics on the subject.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I only have the problem on certain roads, highways and interstates if done with the grooved concrete make the car trace all over, or roads that are heavily traveled and in disrepair. I dont have the torque steer problem some people have. My car is straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Search torque steer and see if you find something. I don't have that issue myself but others have reported it. I only have tramlining from the cup 2s

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I found the torque steer topic earlier but thought there must be more, read about hill start assist which I tried sometime ago and made no difference to my Blue Edition.
My alignments been adjusted and tyre pressures are set correctly.
My car has been driven by Ford experts who agree there is an issue which falls into line with others they have driven, one thing that came up in conversation with the Ford guys is they thought it's an issue specific to the UK and I must admit the issue seems to be more widely reported in the UK.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
A good alignment, with attention paid to side to side rear thrust angles being equal helps.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Everything is at optimum settings according to the Ford field service engineer who looked at the alignment printout today.
I suggested putting the car in FWD dyno mode and trying it on a known problem stretch of road but was poo pooed on the UK site. This would eliminate the rear drive as a possible culprit if it still does it. If it doesnt it might be an RDU programming issue or steering sensor input issue affecting the RDU torque distribution.
There is also a process for inputting the RDU ECU clutch pack data into the main car ecu as well. Maybe this needs reloading.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Try turning off hill assist.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suggested putting the car in FWD dyno mode and trying it on a known problem stretch of road but was poo pooed on the UK site. This would eliminate the rear drive as a possible culprit if it still does it. If it doesnt it might be an RDU programming issue or steering sensor input issue affecting the RDU torque distribution.
There is also a process for inputting the RDU ECU clutch pack data into the main car ecu as well. Maybe this needs reloading.

Ciao
They said everything is working as it should be and they would see errors if it wasn't.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ask them to disable PDC, pull drift compensation. I've read that a dealership can do this. It is part of the electronic power assist system (EPAS)

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
We haven't figured it out. A few of us still get it. I call it the RS tail wag. Just off the top of my head:

Someone said it was eliminated with RDU bushings.
Someone said it was eliminated with a proper alignment (but you've already done that)
Someone said pull drift compensation was the culprit.
Someone said it was just tracing from the grooves in the road
Someone said it was the tire pressures.

.... we haven't figured it out. :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine does this religiously under full throttle in 3rd gear up on any road that isnt perfect. Sometimes it scares the crap out of me. Definitely feels like the rear diff clutch application under full throttle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Seems most pronounced in Track mode. Always just thought a combination of RDU programming and the human element. In Track, the steering and throttle response are heightened and the torque vectoring is most aggressive. Car lives for aggressive turn in but not aggressive lane changes. Car sees a little steering input plus power and car adds torque vector only it intends to keep turning. Driver compensates, car sees opposite steering input and adds opposite vector. Lather, rinse, repeat in the RS version of a porpoise until inevitably the gas is eased. You want to blow by grandma who's been blocking your clear lane til it opens up? Hit boost and aim for the next lane and that's what you get. Fits the old term in the Lotus world where mechanics were taught to say TADTS. :D

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It's always fun waiting to see what this car will do when putting in a bunch of power...or stepping on the brakes too quickly. The car either jumps into the next lane or "helps" with the brake assist to the point of activating the ABS. Never a dull moment in this car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ask them to disable PDC, pull drift compensation. I've read that a dealership can do this. It is part of the electronic power assist system (EPAS)
Ford uk say this will have no effect and do not recommend this. A few have had it switched off by their dealers with mostly negative reports. i personally believe all driver aids should be working and it's too simple to switch them off and blame them without any firm evidence.

We haven't figured it out. A few of us still get it. I call it the RS tail wag. Just off the top of my head:

Someone said it was eliminated with RDU bushings.
Someone said it was eliminated with a proper alignment (but you've already done that)
Someone said pull drift compensation was the culprit.
Someone said it was just tracing from the grooves in the road
Someone said it was the tire pressures.

.... we haven't figured it out. :p
The only thing on that list I've not seen mentioned before is the RDU bushings, were they found to be faulty or were they uprated.

Mine does this religiously under full throttle in 3rd gear up on any road that isnt perfect. Sometimes it scares the crap out of me. Definitely feels like the rear diff clutch application under full throttle.
Talking to the Ford field tech yesterday he said at peak torque more drive goes to the rear and it's this he believes creates the veering effect. I said if this is the case surely it's software so why aren't all owners complaining of the issue. His answer was some owners won't be driving hard enough to experience it which says to me it's a software issue that effects all Mk3 RS.

Seems most pronounced in Track mode. Always just thought a combination of RDU programming and the human element. In Track, the steering and throttle response are heightened and the torque vectoring is most aggressive. Car lives for aggressive turn in but not aggressive lane changes. Car sees a little steering input plus power and car adds torque vector only it intends to keep turning. Driver compensates, car sees opposite steering input and adds opposite vector. Lather, rinse, repeat in the RS version of a porpoise until inevitably the gas is eased. You want to blow by grandma who's been blocking your clear lane til it opens up? Hit boost and aim for the next lane and that's what you get. Fits the old term in the Lotus world where mechanics were taught to say TADTS. :D
I also think it's partly to do with how drivers react to the sudden veer, if your car lurches to the left your natural reaction is to steer left which starts the whole oscillation effect until you back off the throttle.

It's always fun waiting to see what this car will do when putting in a bunch of power...or stepping on the brakes too quickly. The car either jumps into the next lane or "helps" with the brake assist to the point of activating the ABS. Never a dull moment in this car.
It sure does not inspire confidence, I hate the uncertain feeling i'm seriously thinking about selling it.

How very convenient for them. There's nothing wrong with your car sir because it hasnt thrown a code. We all know this is rubbish.

Ciao
I over simplified what they actually said, as well as looking for codes they also checked various parameters and readings, over an hour the guy spent checking everything, so I don't doubt the field engineer knew exactly what he was doing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts