Ford Focus RS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think it all depends what cars will be released in the future. Most owners who already have RS bought it because it ticks all the boxes. With most future cars becoming automatic and hybrid and all that, it’s hard to imagine moving up to a new awd manual fun car. Maybe future STi but competition is getting far and few between.

The last few months where I live there’s only been ONE RS for sale, 2016 with a rebuilt title due to ditch collision, that’s it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I think it all depends what cars will be released in the future. Most owners who already have RS bought it because it ticks all the boxes. With most future cars becoming automatic and hybrid and all that, it’s hard to imagine moving up to a new awd manual fun car. Maybe future STi but competition is getting far and few between.

The last few months where I live there’s only been ONE RS for sale, 2016 with a rebuilt title due to ditch collision, that’s it.
Not sure where you live but there are 51 for sale within 100 miles of me in NE Ohio.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Vancouver Canada, the largest amount of supercar/luxury cars per capita in North America.

Edit: and obviously I meant used, not dealership. Since this is a thread about resale value

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Vancouver Canada, the largest amount of supercar/luxury cars per capita in North America.

Edit: and obviously I meant used, not dealership. Since this is a thread about resale value
Well in that case there are (6) and around $~32k. But when you have 45 other new ones, why even consider used, especially when the dealers are advertising over $4k off?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=477060555

or drive a little farther and pick up this RS1 for $34k brand spanking new.

I wouldn't even look at a used RS right now with deals like that.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I was thinking of trading my car on an Audi RS3 and was SHOCKED to see the KBB buy offer was only $29,200. Then went and looked at RS's for sale and there were a ton within 500 miles under $35,000. So it seems to support a trade offer under $30k. That's rough considering I paid $42,000 14 months ago. Luckily I had a trade worth almost that much so didn't get stuck with $3k in taxes too.

What is going on? How can these go from the most sought after car a year ago with ADM's all over the place, year long waits to values sinking like the Titanic?

Is it just everyone dumping their cars after a year so supply is through the roof?:confused:
Have you been watching the stock market lately? It doesn't take much for pricing to fluctuate. Once down, then up, once down, then up, once down, then up.......................

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well in that case there are (6) and around $~32k. But when you have 45 other new ones, why even consider used, especially when the dealers are advertising over $4k off?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=477060555

or drive a little farther and pick up this RS1 for $34k brand spanking new.

I wouldn't even look at a used RS right now with deals like that.
Exactly. There are over 1K brand new RS's sitting on dealer lots (many for over 90+ days) so until that number drastically reduces the used market will suck. The head gasket issue also needs to be put behind us for awhile too. I think some people are still scared to purchase due to the issues and some of the used and new cars for sale have not had the fix performed.

Unless you are desperate, I would plan on keeping the RS for awhile unless you want to take a big resale hit.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Guys take any new car drive it off the lot and see what they offer. They all depreciate does not matter what brand. Your being foolish if your thinking otherwise. The depreaction hit is up to you. If you can live with it then move on. Life's to short to worry about money.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Guys take any new car drive it off the lot and see what they offer. They all depreciate does not matter what brand. Your being foolish if your thinking otherwise. The depreaction hit is up to you. If you can live with it then move on. Life's to short to worry about money.
Except for the Civic Si and Type R.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Except for the Civic Si and Type R.
Civic SIs sell for dirt cheap around here, they are around the same price as a comparable ST in year/mileage.

Type R is currently in the same position the RS was when it was first released. The used ones still hold a premium because buying new is almost impossible. Time will tell how much that will change, but if supply increases like it did on the RS value will drop as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Civic SIs sell for dirt cheap around here, they are around the same price as a comparable ST in year/mileage.

Type R is currently in the same position the RS was when it was first released. The used ones still hold a premium because buying new is almost impossible. Time will tell how much that will change, but if supply increases like it did on the RS value will drop as well.
Well I am just speaking from experience, I leased a 2018 Si two months ago as a daily for $21k, trade in value is actually $21k with 8,000 miles in my area.

Honda unlike Ford doesnt allow a customer to walk in and order a Type R. This is bad for the consumer because it allows Honda to release what they want to what dealer they want. Ford on the other hand ramped up production due to customer orders but what really killed it was everyone paying ADM and Ford dealers thinking everyone would pay ADM, so dealers ordered more Allocations for themselves and here we are.

Those of us who have waited are in luck I guess. But the question is, unless its an 18 or late build 17 is it worth it to buy new if they will be tearing it up to replace the HG anyways? At this point there is more value in buying a used one I would think. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
You could buy a late 17 to save money while still getting a new gasket. Given the way the torque/brake vectoring and AWD work, an LSD isn't really worth it unless you're constantly going to the track. That's probably the best deal on a new car right now. :D

Those of us who have waited are in luck I guess. But the question is, unless its an 18 or late build 17 is it worth it to buy new if they will be tearing it up to replace the HG anyways? At this point there is more value in buying a used one I would think. Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys,

Just looking for a few opinions if anyone is around.

I purchased my RS2 in December 2016. It has a build date of October 2016. I only have put about 9600 miles on it since then. I bought it as a good all around sports vehicle for where I live (Colorado). I had it pro-tuned and began to modify. However, I uninstalled my tune and put my mods on hold following the great head gasket debacle. I really want to run my tune but figured I would play it safe as I have an early build. No issues to date.

I have been interested in a Toyota Land Cruiser for awhile now. I want to make it a bit of an "overland" vehicle for some of the actives I enjoy doing. The RS is amazing, however does not make it up rocky trails very well. I went and looked at a 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser today in the color I wanted. It has 95,000 miles. It's a one owner vehicle with meticulous maintenance records. For those who don't know, Land Cruisers retail for about $80k and should not have a problem making it to 300,000 miles.

My concern with keeping the RS is I can't tune it as I want without risking the need for a new motor (maybe the 2.0 build?). It's still unknown if these cars will have reliability past 100k miles. Don't get me wrong, I still love my RS and enjoy driving her. These two vehicles are completely opposite so there really is no comparison.

The offered me $29,500 for my RS
They offered me the Land Cruiser for $41,400
I own my RS outright and would be paying the cash difference.

Any reasons for or against this trade? Seem like a fair deal?
I am looking for a Grey one used, how much are you selling it.. PM me please

141 - 160 of 177 Posts