Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I'll come back then. It'll be interesting to see. My last car held better than 75% MSRP 13 years later. Granted, it was in very excellent condition and less than 45k miles, an outlier for sure.

KBB, or just about anywhere else put it's value MUCH lower than I did. I asked 25K, 2 weeks later I got 23,8K. Best wholesale offer was still >50% of MSRP. It had many similarities to the RS, and more so the limited RS in it's being Limited. The R32 was limited to 5000, and a single model year for that generation.

Vehicles have gotten more expensive since 2004. Also, the R32 was fairly well equipped and pricey, originally. Anyhow they're not exactly the same but not not exactly dissimilar either. The guy who bought the VW from me had owned one before, and regretfully sold it. He was pleased to find mine in such excellent condition. Perhaps one of you will do the same with the RS, perhaps not.

In any case I suspect a 8-10 year old RS that averages <5k miles a year might be in good enough condition to fetch 35% - 45% of it's original MSRP, minimum. Of course what it's worth more than the average RS, then, will likely have been more than lost in missing the fun those missing miles might have provided.

I plan to "use" my RS and ring ever ounce of fun I can out of it (even if I don't drive it far, or often, as some). I recommend everyone does the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thom - the R32 was much more limited (as you suggested) and there was really nothing like it. I don’t doubt you’d done very well on it. I love the RS (so hopefully this isn’t misinterpreted as a slight) but there will be probably 15,000 units out there worldwide when the 2018s are all sold....there are also reasonable alternatives (CTR, STi, Golf R) for people to buy.

As a result - this most excellent car is neither fairly depicted as a vehicle that warrants sky is falling concerns (see thread title), nor a rare car that will defy typical depreciation curves.

Maybe my swag ( a 42k turns into a 15k sale in 5 years w normal dd usage) is bearish - probably cause I’m setting expectations that will set me up for success. But thinking that it will be 22k when there are 200 available within 200 miles of me seems too rosey

That said - interesting discussion (to me anyway) - but regardless, it’s awesome and I enjoyed scaring my 15 year old while I took wet backroads at 5/10ths this afternoon (;

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I am actually looking into my next purchase, I was in a 2015 GT86 and am now looking into get a Ford Focus RS. I've been running through the forums (including the 264 page long thread on the failed/leaking gasket head) and have felt somewhat conflicted on buying one after reading the issues some people have had with this. The RS i was looking at is a 2017 Ford Focus RS, if I were to purchase one today would I fall into the same bucket of potential risk?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Danny - I think it’s very good news that Ford acknowledged the issue and said they were working on a fix for all owners. Will it be a pain in the rear? Maybe, but I don’t think you’ll likely get hurt if you keep it stock. I do think - whether it be due in part to the HG issue or not - that you’re in a nice negotiating position wrt buying a 2017 RS new. The dealers have inventory and the 2018/ are coming in. This is not a cheap car for a 20 something year old and I think the addressable market for this car has been satiated for the most part. I got mine for $1700 off MSRP back in August and I think that or more is pretty achievable.

Good luck.

How did you like the 86? I miss my 2013 BRZ....ain’t quick, but what a great car. My wife and daughters didn’t like being crammed into it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Danny - I think it’s very good news that Ford acknowledged the issue and said they were working on a fix for all owners. Will it be a pain in the rear? Maybe, but I don’t think you’ll likely get hurt if you keep it stock. I do think - whether it be due in part to the HG issue or not - that you’re in a nice negotiating position wrt buying a 2017 RS new. The dealers have inventory and the 2018/ are coming in. This is not a cheap car for a 20 something year old and I think the addressable market for this car has been satiated for the most part. I got mine for $1700 off MSRP back in August and I think that or more is pretty achievable.

Good luck.

How did you like the 86? I miss my 2013 BRZ....ain’t quick, but what a great car. My wife and daughters didn’t like being crammed into it though.
I enjoyed my 86, honestly had some great experiences with the car regardless of how slow it was I had a great time with it. Put a lot of work into her but sadly she was in an accident so i'm now in the market to get a new car. The dealerships around me are offering around $3,000 off MSRP at the moment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some of the issue is that the whole car market is down and a little unstable. Whenever you see big discounts in car ads it's because they know something and need to start dumping inventory. There are several factors at play here. Some are the time of year, dealers have huge backlogs of inventory because manufacturers are pushing them to take more and sell more. The uncertainty around what going on in the government, which ever side you are on. I know I'm feeling like I should be very careful of how I spend my money so I'm sure a lot of others are feeling the same way and holding back on purchases too. I would never pay an ADM because you are even more under water from the start. I prefer to be around invoice when ever possible. If you buy what you like and can afford then it shouldn't matter if it goes up or down in value. I'm on a lot of car forums and they all have "values dropping" threads going right now. I say get the best deal you can on the car you like the most. Cars aren't good investments. Some hold value better than others. Some are just more fun. And some do both.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sawgrass Ford in Sunrise Florida has a few RS's sitting in the front of the lot for 4 months and no one bought them. It is still sitting with $2000-3000 off MSRP. I drove by daily and it has not move.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How can you rate the value on a 2years old car, you bought the car and automatically lost 30%...

50000CAN$ - 30%= 35000CAN$

Make the calcul in US if you want, but you can't measure the long term value after only 2 years.

We will know if it keep a good resale value in 2022 and after

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Meh. I got an OK deal under MSRP because I waited. I could have gotten a better deal if I really held out and pushed for it, but I was happy overall. And at this stage in my life, this is probably a car I'll be passing down to my kid(s). Or, in other words, plan to own for MANY years to come. Don't really need more and I love the way it drives/feels.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Or, in other words, plan to own for MANY years to come. Don't really need more and I love the way it drives/feels.
This is exactly why I bought mine. It's fun. And it keeps commuting miles off my Porsche, which has gone up in value by 15% since I bought it.

Reactions: Ducxl

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys,

Just looking for a few opinions if anyone is around.

I purchased my RS2 in December 2016. It has a build date of October 2016. I only have put about 9600 miles on it since then. I bought it as a good all around sports vehicle for where I live (Colorado). I had it pro-tuned and began to modify. However, I uninstalled my tune and put my mods on hold following the great head gasket debacle. I really want to run my tune but figured I would play it safe as I have an early build. No issues to date.

I have been interested in a Toyota Land Cruiser for awhile now. I want to make it a bit of an "overland" vehicle for some of the actives I enjoy doing. The RS is amazing, however does not make it up rocky trails very well. I went and looked at a 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser today in the color I wanted. It has 95,000 miles. It's a one owner vehicle with meticulous maintenance records. For those who don't know, Land Cruisers retail for about $80k and should not have a problem making it to 300,000 miles.

My concern with keeping the RS is I can't tune it as I want without risking the need for a new motor (maybe the 2.0 build?). It's still unknown if these cars will have reliability past 100k miles. Don't get me wrong, I still love my RS and enjoy driving her. These two vehicles are completely opposite so there really is no comparison.

The offered me $29,500 for my RS
They offered me the Land Cruiser for $41,400
I own my RS outright and would be paying the cash difference.

Any reasons for or against this trade? Seem like a fair deal?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hey guys,

I purchased my RS2 in December 2016. It has a build date of October 2016. I only have put about 9600 miles on it since then. I bought it as a good all around sports vehicle for where I live (Colorado). I had it pro-tuned and began to modify. However, I uninstalled my tune and put my mods on hold following the great head gasket debacle. I really want to run my tune but figured I would play it safe as I have an early build. No issues to date.

I have been interested in a Toyota Land Cruiser for awhile now. I want to make it a bit of an "overland" vehicle for some of the actives I enjoy doing. The RS is amazing, however does not make it up rocky trails very well. I went and looked at a 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser today in the color I wanted. It has 95,000 miles. It's a one owner vehicle with meticulous maintenance records. For those who don't know, Land Cruisers retail for about $80k and should not have a problem making it to 300,000 miles.

My concern with keeping the RS is I can't tune it as I want without risking the need for a new motor (maybe the 2.0 build?). It's still unknown if these cars will have reliability past 100k miles. Don't get me wrong, I still love my RS and enjoy driving her. These two vehicles are completely opposite so there really is no comparison.

15k+ loss in a year? No effing thanks, but that's your decision to make. The dealers are there to make money. If you want to minimize your loss, you'll need to sell privately.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey guys,

Coming from someone who used to build overland cars. Start with a older car. Overlanding is far from a cheap hobby.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you own it sell it privately. There is no rush to sell it IMO. Get the Land Cruiser and put your RS FS. The RS will go up in value once they are all gone. At least here in So Cal most dealers are still selling at MSRP with a few still crazy enough to sell for ADM. You could easily get $3-4K more.

·
Registered
753 Posts

I won't comment on whether you should, but the numbers seem generally fair.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I couldn't give two sh*ts about resale.this is my Daily Driver..It's an absolute HOOT!
We have Superbikes,Harleys,A Vette and a Hemi R/t....All parked and waiting for a good day.
I'll burn this RS into the GROUND for 10 years and discard it

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey guys,

Just a few thoughts:

"Overlanding", which is such a horribly over used term at this point, can get real expensive real fast. Especially if you are the type of person who has to keep up with all the latest and greatest gadgets posted in instragram. It's a huge business these days, sometimes I think more so than performance parts. You may, and probably will, be well off with something a bit cheaper to get your off road thrills. An older generation 4runner, or it's Lexus v8 clones are great choices. There are also going to be a whole lot more parts available for them, and at cheaper prices to boot. There is a bigger market for 4runner parts than Land Cruiser parts so the barrier of entry is much lower.

On top of that, at nearing 100k maintenance will need to be done on the Land Cruiser. Even more so once you start taking it off road and beating on it. Yeah, Toyotas have a reputation for reliability but that doesn't mean they are maintenance free. Too many people get into Toyotas and run them into the ground prematurely because of the reputation they have. I would hate to see you spend 40k and do the same.

If you truly want to get into off roading, find something like a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner. Take it off road, see what needs improvements or fixing, and go from there. You'll have a decently capable off road capable SUV and have the RS all for less than the money it would take to get you into that Land Cruiser. Will it win instagram contests? No. Will it take you anywhere that instagram winning Land Cruiser will? Yes, and for a hell of a lot cheaper to boot.

In the end, it's your money and your choice. If you really want the Land Cruiser you probably won't be happy with the suggestions I've made. On the other hand, if you are just looking to go have some fun in the Colorado outdoors, you can quite literally have your cake (The RS) and eat it too (Your off road shenanigans).

I should add, yes I am a bit biased against the overloading builds that are just for e-bragging. We had a two of those types invade one of the off road groups I was in and I ended up leaving as it turned into such a **** show. It was always a contest of who had the best gadgets over actually having fun on a trail. Get's old real damn fast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's true that I used "overlanding" very broadly. I guess I would not truly be overlanding like taking a week driving through the Alaskan wilderness. Just more long weekend trips to the mountains to do more remote hikes, kayaking, or back-country snowboarding. Maybe just sleep in the car instead of putting a tent on it. I really don't care about instagram pictures as I hardy post things even now as it is. I would just plan to do a 2 inch lift, some smaller wheels with bigger tires, rock rails, and maybe a luggage carrier. So, more casual off-roading. I had a FJ Cruiser before my RS and I kinda miss it!

Still all good points. I know I will eventually make the switch. However, perhaps I should drive the crap out of my RS for a year to get my money worth before I do it! I would feel less guilty.

Unfortunately, having two cars is too difficult when you live downtown on top of insurance rates and parking. That is probably better for folks in the country who can have all the toys around. Someday...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I could do it for about 50-55% of MSRP in three years and look like a screaming deal (old dude sells a bone stock RS with 50k hwy miles for 18k)...!
This post made me laugh; I’m saving my dollars to hopefully get exactly what you described in a year or two (base model; not hooned too hard) and I’m thinking they’ll be just under $20k at 3-4yrs old/40-50k miles; but that’s just a guess. I’m guessing they’ll keep dropping with new cars on the lot and as the warranty stuff gets worked out and then around 2019 things will level off.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts