Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For track days I want to put trakk tape or painters tape over the headlights.

However I'm hesitant to do so because newer cars seem to "peek" or delaminates if you put clear bra like xpel on it and when you remove it it would pull the Oem coating off with it.

Porsche, Dodge Viper, and corvettes seem to have problems with headlight protection. Either they crack due to heat build up or they delaminate.

What is the focus st headlight like so we may get any idea if we can put headlight protection on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have heard this myth before, but there is no truth to it.

A headlight protection kit is not going to cause the polycarbonate / Lexan to fail. What you have seen and heard / been told has nothing at all to do with the headlight protection kit. Polycarbonate & Lexan, what most composite headlights are made from these days, have a continuous working temperature of between 248 - 475 F depending on the formulation, This means that water would boil instantly upon contact and that you would get a nasty burn if you touched them before they reached the failure point. The materials we use in our lighting protection kits have been tested to 225 F, significantly lower than what a headlight would fail at. Our materials are applied with just water, no chemicals involved.

Polycarbonate lens failure is usually a manufacturing issue during the production of the polycarbonate, or a chemical contact issue. The latter could have occurred before you even picked up your car from the dealer. There is one dealer here in Dallas who had to replace a lot of headlights when it was discovered that the (outsourced) make ready / wash people were using wheel acid on the entire front of the vehicle to make bug removal easier... There is a long list of chemicals that the polycarbonate lens is susceptible to.

In the past early S2000, C6 Corvette, and early 350Z owners reported some hairline cracking of the headlight lens – even without any protection applied. Most likely a chemical interaction or an OEM issue. A headlight protection kit is not going to cause failure of the polycarbonate…

Porsche Cars North America installs a full clear bra for the paint and a headlight protection kit on all the press cars we have seen in recent years.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For what it's worth, I did have the coating come off on my ST's headlights. The was an optical coating of sort that was only about 1mil thick and it started to show loss. (On one headlight) I believe it's the same headlight that I attempted to install some LaminX on... Won't stop me from having some sort of protection on the RS in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We did a diy video of the 13-14 ST
on a local customers' car a while back. Both headlights had coating/structural issues prior to application. When we pointed them out to the customer he said he wanted the material applied anyway, he was aware that other Focus's have the same issue. Last time we saw the car at a meet it looked just as we saw it during the install.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same thing happen on a motorcycle. The key was to pull the plug on the lights for the track. Seems the heat causes a reaction between the adhesive and the protective layer which causes the layer to delaminate from the lens. Never had a problem after that. Just remember to slowly pull the tape off after you're done at the track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes like everything else, a headlight protection kit does have a life span. They are designed to protect the lens from damage. If, like your link, the coating the factory puts on the polycarbonate fails this is a factory issue. If (any) material applied to the lights pulls off the hard coat the factory put on, the hard coat was not properly bonded to the polycarbonate in the first place.

As I said earlier, Porsche Cars North America installs a full clear bra for the paint and a headlight protection kit on all the press cars we have seen in recent years - ironic given the link comments on rennlist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts