Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's also current (Apr. 19, 2022):

Let Your Usage Be Your Guide

We’ve assembled this chart to be a quick reference to choose the proper tire for the proper venue.

• Autocross: Choose A or AA for Warm-up and B or better for Pace.
  • Time trials: Choose by Pace and Wear.
  • Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.
  • Street and Track: Choose by Heat Tolerance, Wear and Wet.
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Line Slope

Article link:

Track Tire Buyer's Guide, 2022

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hopefully they redo this when the new RE71 comes out, seems like for our cars the RT660 is the tire for street class right now.
They tend to update this table every year or so as new tires come out, so I'm sure they will be when the RE71 RSs come out.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kinda noob here but can someone explain to me what "Time trial pace" means please.
SCCA Definition:

Time Trials is the term for competition in which competitors vie for the fastest lap or elapsed time to complete a designated course. Time Trials competitors may share the track or course, but these events are not wheel-to-wheel competitions.

Within the Time Trials program, there are three primary formats:

1. Time Attack
"Time Attack" is the modern term which best described traditional Time Trials. This format means competing for the best lap on a closed course purpose built for performance driving or motorsports.

2. TrackSprint
TrackSprint is a format for competition on a specific section of a closed course purpose built for performance driving or motorsports. (E.g., a standing-start run from a specific point on track to a flying finish at a different point on track.) Though cars may share the course, there should be enough space to avoid cars passing or running in close proximity to each other.

3. HillClimb
Hillclimb is a competition where one car at a time competes on a closed public road, typically with "climbing" elevation as a primary feature. Though cars may share the course, there should be enough space to avoid cars passing or running in close proximity to each other.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the times I have been at Sonoma or Laguna Seca and seen the time trial (using format #1 above) take place (usually at lunch), the cars enter the track by class, in the order of fastest to slowest. They get most of one lap to warm things up, then everyone gets one timed lap (it is possible they get more, but I believe it's one). Fastest lap in each class is the winner.

From a tire perspective, there is very little time to warm them up, so a tire like the Advan 052 has an advantage of being very quick right away. But as it warms up, the times start increasing.

Jim

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Kinda noob here but can someone explain to me what "Time trial pace" means please.
It's basically "time attack", so choosing the tire based on full on pace for only a handful of "flying laps". Hence the choosing by "pace and wear" with little regard to warm up, heat tolerance, wet grip, etc.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
ps4s with AAA wet traction. perfect DD tire here in germany...where it consistently light rains.
Literally the perfect street tire. They slide nice and progressive too, not much squeal.
It seriously is! Only downsides are the price and available sizes really, otherwise, all my vehicles would have em!

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
920 Posts
Since it's doesn't rain often here, I'm more after a better dry tire. When it does rain, usually anything less than an all-weather tire doesn't make a difference, since they're heavy monsoon downpours. I'm thinking about testing out that Kumho V730 after my RT660's wear out.

·
Registered
Focus RS 2018SE
20 Posts
It's also current (Apr. 19, 2022):

Let Your Usage Be Your Guide

We’ve assembled this chart to be a quick reference to choose the proper tire for the proper venue.

• Autocross: Choose A or AA for Warm-up and B or better for Pace.
  • Time trials: Choose by Pace and Wear.
  • Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.
  • Street and Track: Choose by Heat Tolerance, Wear and Wet.
View attachment 360184

Article link:

Track Tire Buyer's Guide, 2022
I have my three year old SE now fitted with P4S’s. The OE sport cup 2 ‘s got me through to now but we’re almost to the wear bars , that’s with winter tire changes done too! You need to plans a sizeable budget to do all four p4s’s at once , with balancing and alignment it worked out at 700 per wheel ( Canadian) and I shopped around !

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on my usage (I don't drive it when it's wet out, and most of my miles are to and from a HPDE), I used this category:

Lapping days: Choose by Heat Tolerance and Wear.

Because sizes in a 30-series are limited, I chose the Michelin Sport Cup 2 Connects in 265/30-19 (their diameter is also exactly like the original MPSS fitment). They will go on the 6GR TEN 19x9.5 wheels I ordered. I am planning to keep the OEM forged wheels shod in inexpensive Federal 595 RS-RRs (or their current counterpart) for street use. My 2016 is at about 8640 miles now - driving in the SF Bay Area sucks during almost any normal hour.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The RS-RR's are very noisy for street use. If you're going to run a track tire on the street, buy their Pro instead. It's the latest revision of the older RS-RR and much quieter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts