Ford Focus RS Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
That said, there are loopholes with CPO cars. Sure it looks sexy & gets buyers attention, but is it bumper to bumper? Nope, it’s not.
This may depend on dealership, but most CPO Fords I've seen, extend B2B by another 12 months and 12k miles (48 and 48 total) in addition to 7 year/100k mile drive-train so this could benefit some 16's and a lot of the 17's. Still not a deal breaker IMO, but it is some reassurance. I worked in new car sales a Ford dealership for a few months prior to moving to the service department and personally, I wouldn't buy a car strictly because it is CPO'd, but if you are looking at one that isn't certified versus one that is, the CPO car is likely a better car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There weren't 36-38k RS's in 2017, unless it had absolutely none of the accessories. (Very rare) My 17 had a 43+k MSRP.
I bought it in late 2018 however, as a left over, for 36k new.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Market has definitely softened over the last 2 months, but that's standard for the spring. Never quite got that given this is far more of a sports car that uses AWD to get performance to the next level than a utilitarian AWD hatch. Plus those Cup Sports. Before they came on an RS, they were coming on higher level trim performance Porsche's... I doubt performance Audi's see a discount in the spring. Now's the time for an 18 if you need an 18 though. Last few months these cars will be under factory warranty. There will always be low-ish miles examples for sale. Just depends on who's willing to pay for it, like some of these $45k+ cars for sale right now.

Guess resale is also going to depend on if this next STI is any good. Or any other competitors. If someone comes out with a 400hp hatch, with a 6spd, that's a standard combustion engine, that will probably dethrone the RS as the king of hot hatches.

Who knows! But it is fun to play with the numbers. Sadly, I may need to part with mine given I have about $25k in tuition for grad school for the next 2 years. Wish my father in law wanted to kick it around in this for a year or 2 so I could have it back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Oddly enough, many 2017s sat for so long & weren’t first sold until late 2018, so those actually have more 3/36 left vs. the final edition 2018s. I figure if anyone can pick a 2017 up with at least 12-15 months left on a 3/36 you should be good to go. If anything, it gives you some comfort knowing that you have some coverage if something unforeseen should go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Oddly enough, many 2017s sat for so long & weren’t first sold until late 2018, so those actually have more 3/36 left vs. the final edition 2018s. I figure if anyone can pick a 2017 up with at least 12-15 months left on a 3/36 you should be good to go. If anything, it gives you some comfort knowing that you have some coverage if something unforeseen should go wrong.

I've gotten some conflicting advice regarding "New Old Stock" and the warranty. There's a New 2018 Mustang GT350 not too far from me. I had messaged the dealer a few months ago regarding the vehicle. I then went a kicked the tires on a used 2018 GT350 at a Ford dealer who told me the warranty on that new 2018 car isn't 3/36k from the date of purchase. Granted, he brought this up when I grilled him on why would I pay $52k for a used 2018 with 7k miles when there's a new 2018 with no miles for $52k 150mi away. And they're giving me +$2k more on trade in. "That new car has been sitting for almost 2 years, so you're better off with a used one that's been driven a bit to keep all the gaskets, etc, blah blah blah." He wouldn't go into why/when the warranty would start. Not sure what's true though. I don't think that car would have been eligible for the GT350 Form Performance program though given the age. I never reached out to Ford Performance to confirm, however.

So anyway, I don't know. But that would be worth understanding before making a purchase decision. A lot of these RSs sat for 1-2 years before finally being sold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Simply not true. Warranty starts after car is owned by someone. Sitting on the dealer lot doesn’t matter. Bought a 08 R1 back in 2010. Was still in a crate at a small Yamaha dealer. Yamaha started warranty the day I drove it away from dealer. It’s the law

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Exactly right.. Check the CARFAX. For example, if it’s a 2017 & it says ‘first owner reported’ in Dec. 2018, well then that’s when the 3/36 started.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Thanks for clarifying guys. That's what I thought. Seemed a bit ridiculous that they could wind down the warranty as it sat there, but I wasn't going to argue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe that sometimes the dealership is pushed into buying old stock on their lots. I was under the impression this could change the warranty, but then the car might be sold as used. Worth checking.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

141 - 151 of 151 Posts