Ford Focus RS Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Something else to consider, if you're going to tune anyway, why does it matter if the previous owner was tuned? Especially if it was tuned by Mountune. Some other tuners, I'm not so sure about. Especially if you're only going to keep the cars for a few years.

If it has the yellow badge underneath the RS on the front and back, it likely has the M380 which was pretty much the Ford FPM375. I'm not super worried about that tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, my carvana experience went pretty good. I chose to trade in my '18 ST3. It had 14K miles on it and in very good condition. I also had it paid off. Carvana's trade price came pretty high at 17,500. It was the best I had. So, the full amount was applied towards the RS I reserved, plus I added another 6K in cash to go with it. I chose to drive to Tampa's carvana location. About a 2 hour drive to pick it up and drop off the ST3 as the trade. I really wanted to spend some special good bye time with the ST. It was a fun drive on the back roads with very little traffic on a Saturday morning. I got there and looked over the RS and there were a few small items you couldn't tell from the internet pictures like a few scratches "mild" on the finish. It also had aftermarket Rota 18 inch wheels I didn't notice from the pictures and had fully tinted widows. It drove real nice with no issues. I think carvana could have done a better job cleaning it. I saw a mobil detailer working out of his van. I'm sure they just pay them to do it and don't put in much follow up. The RS I reserved was a '17 with a price of 32K and 10K miles on it. It's still under the factory warranty until September of 2020. Carvana had the tank full of gas and it had a fresh oil change. Question is did they fill it with 93 octane and did they use 5W/50 oil? I asked. He said they use manufacture recommended octane and oil. I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no. I filled it today as it was almost empty with 93 octane and plan to have the dealer change the oil and rotate the tires soon.

As for the head gasket, carfax didn't list it as being done, but before I picked it up I called two Ford dealers in the Tampa area and asked for the service dept. Gave them the VIN #. They had no issues helping me out. Both dealers said there were no recalls issued for this vehicle and it was made in Feb/'17. This was before the new HG's were used. Did all affected RS's built before 7-6-17 get recall's? One dealer said Ford made these cars in batches and it's possible mine had the new gasket when it was built. I don't know, hopefully so. The car was actually sold in the Tampa area back in Sept/'17. All in all, my carvana experience went very good. I was in and out in less then an hour. The guy had everything ready for me. All I had to do was sign a few forms. They were straight forward and didn't re-neg on anything and I financed the balance with them at 3.9 %. I had made a few phone calls to them before reserving the vehicle so I could actually talk to a real person who could answer real questions. All calls were conducted in a professional manner and they were very courteous to me. I decided to keep the car and the 7 day return has gone. I spent all day today buffing the car with Griots Complete Compound and it came out beautiful and those small scratches are all gone. So, I'm really loving the RS. I have no regrets at all getting rid of the ST3, although I do miss the full leather interior and the carbon bits, but the fun factor 10X better. It's not my daily driver as my F150 takes those duties. I'll be giving her a good garaged home....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well, my carvana experience went pretty good. I chose to trade in my '18 ST3. It had 14K miles on it and in very good condition. I also had it paid off. Carvana's trade price came pretty high at 17,500. It was the best I had. So, the full amount was applied towards the RS I reserved, plus I added another 6K in cash to go with it. I chose to drive to Tampa's carvana location. About a 2 hour drive to pick it up and drop off the ST3 as the trade. I really wanted to spend some special good bye time with the ST. It was a fun drive on the back roads with very little traffic on a Saturday morning. I got there and looked over the RS and there were a few small items you couldn't tell from the internet pictures like a few scratches "mild" on the finish. It also had aftermarket Rota 18 inch wheels I didn't notice from the pictures and had fully tinted widows. It drove real nice with no issues. I think carvana could have done a better job cleaning it. I saw a mobil detailer working out of his van. I'm sure they just pay them to do it and don't put in much follow up. The RS I reserved was a '17 with a price of 32K and 10K miles on it. It's still under the factory warranty until September of 2020. Carvana had the tank full of gas and it had a fresh oil change. Question is did they fill it with 93 octane and did they use 5W/50 oil? I asked. He said they use manufacture recommended octane and oil. I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no. I filled it today as it was almost empty with 93 octane and plan to have the dealer change the oil and rotate the tires soon.

As for the head gasket, carfax didn't list it as being done, but before I picked it up I called two Ford dealers in the Tampa area and asked for the service dept. Gave them the VIN #. They had no issues helping me out. Both dealers said there were no recalls issued for this vehicle and it was made in Feb/'17. This was before the new HG's were used. Did all affected RS's built before 7-6-17 get recall's? One dealer said Ford made these cars in batches and it's possible mine had the new gasket when it was built. I don't know, hopefully so. The car was actually sold in the Tampa area back in Sept/'17. All in all, my carvana experience went very good. I was in and out in less then an hour. The guy had everything ready for me. All I had to do was sign a few forms. They were straight forward and didn't re-neg on anything and I financed the balance with them at 3.9 %. I had made a few phone calls to them before reserving the vehicle so I could actually talk to a real person who could answer real questions. All calls were conducted in a professional manner and they were very courteous to me. I decided to keep the car and the 7 day return has gone. I spent all day today buffing the car with Griots Complete Compound and it came out beautiful and those small scratches are all gone. So, I'm really loving the RS. I have no regrets at all getting rid of the ST3, although I do miss the full leather interior and the carbon bits, but the fun factor 10X better. It's not my daily driver as my F150 takes those duties. I'll be giving her a good garaged home....
Double check on the head gasket issue. The info is on the forum. It's up until a certain build date which I thought yours was within.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts

Congratulations! The 5w50 that Ford specified is kinda like unicorn piss, also used on both Ford GTs and the GT350. I kinda doubt that they would have used it, you could get an analysis from blackstone labs to be sure, just ask the tech to save some of the used oil for it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
I saw a ‘17 pop up locally but it has 21k miles on it & it’s priced at 33k. I wish the mileage was around 10-12k but it looks like a very nice vehicle. They likely won’t deal much, if any, on 33k. So that’s almost 38k OTD with 21k miles.

As a comparison, there’s a ‘17 with only 11k miles & the dealer wants 37k & will not budge. It’s no haggle & so that’s 40k OTD. Ugh, I keep telling myself to save 13k & buy an ST, but I just want that blue RS badge on the rear hatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
While you may save $13k on the initial purchase price by going with the ST, you could lose all of that in the long run because the ST's have been depreciating pretty heavily. My 2014 ST depreciated neearly $10k in 2 years.

The ST's are super fun cars, but I think the RS is a better buy for people who can afford the higher cost of entry. It all comes down to the difference in depreciation and the cars capabilities.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts