Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Here’s another issue I see a lot when reviewing an RS Carfax report: I’ll often times see ‘performance/drivability/checked’ or ‘fluid leak checked’. The two items might be listed 2-3 times during an ownership & no repairs shown. A month or two later & the cars listed for sale. Yea, I don’t know, that would worry the hell out of me, if the previous owner was noting drivability issues, possible fluid leaks & then turns around shortly after & trades it in. Cause for concern? For me it would be, since these cars are getting older everyday.

So you’ve got those cars with sketchy carfax reports or you’ve got the cars that have bounced around 2-3 owners in 3yrs. Weed all of those out & you’ve got some very nice one-owner cars left with under 15k miles, but those guys are asking a premium for their cars & you’ll be paying 35-38k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wait it out. I have been waiting for these to creep down in price and i knew i wanted a white one and a really clean one. HG didn't worry me as long as it was already done.
Just ended up picking up mine recently. 2016 FW RS2 Forged. 11k miles, one owner, garaged. Flawless condition for $28,000. Anything else around me that is in that criteria is in the $32-34k window. The only things i see under $30k right now are 16's with 40k+ miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just wait it out. I have been waiting for these to creep down in price and i knew i wanted a white one and a really clean one. HG didn't worry me as long as it was already done.
Just ended up picking up mine recently. 2016 FW RS2 Forged. 11k miles, one owner, garaged. Flawless condition for $28,000. Anything else around me that is in that criteria is in the $32-34k window. The only things i see under $30k right now are 16's with 40k+ miles.

Congrats man! I’d love a Frozen White RS, however I’m fine with a SB black, if the price is right & it has the black wheels. I’m seeing exactly what you are, with regards to mileage & prices. 11k miles is great & I typically select 15k or less on miles.

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you liking the car so far? Btw, I looked into the out-of-state- cars but never realized what a pain it is to have to bring it to the DMV, inspection, new plates etc. It’s just such a hassle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats man! I’d love a Frozen White RS, however I’m fine with a SB black, if the price is right & it has the black wheels. I’m seeing exactly what you are, with regards to mileage & prices. 11k miles is great & I typically select 15k or less on miles.

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you liking the car so far? Btw, I looked into the out-of-state- cars but never realized what a pain it is to have to bring it to the DMV, inspection, new plates etc. It’s just such a hassle.

I have the luxury of a second vehicle and the car was only in NH about an hour away from me. It did take an extra trip of back and forth getting all the paperwork situated so i could go to the RMV. You might want to look into whatever the state is. Some will allow temporary plates for 7-30 days so you can drive it him and get it registered in your home state. (Mass doesn't do temp plates).

I have been driving it for 11 days now and have put around 1200 miles on it so far. I like the car a lot. I find the seats comfortable because i feel like i am the size/body type they were designed around. Girlfriends torso is a little short so her shoulder blades don't make it over the side bolsters and isn't comfortable for her on long rides. We take her car anytime we go out or travel.
Ride is bumpy as noted and expected, may look next spring to change out the springs or find another suspension to go with. Its not harsh enough to make me not want to drive the car. If i wanted a couch like ride i would just drive my RL. Plenty of power and fun for me now. Will probably look to extend factory warranty. A couple years from now i will probably start to modify it as i start to get into some of the maintenance that will come up.

My only gripe and its not really a focus RS problem, more of a applecarplay/spotify problem. I wish i could search through my playlists and other features on the screen in the car.

Otherwise i love it, enjoy it and at the price i feel like there wasn't much better i could get out there. (I despise Subaru) An S4 or RS3 were the only other two things on the list for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ford dealers will not help with an Oasis report on an RS, if it’s not listed for sale at a Ford Dealer. I’ve ran carfax reports & called the dealer where the car was sold new & have explained to the service Dept. why I’m calling & it’s to find out if the cylinder head gasket(s) were ever replaced & they’re unwilling to give out that information.

Ok great? So if a build date is 03-17, carfax doesn’t show a head gasket(s) replacement & we all know that anything before 07–17 has the wrong gaskets, I’m just supposed to spend 35k & hope the engine doesn’t grenade itself? This is ridiculous & I don’t understand why that information is not viewable to the public? It’s a vehicle we are talking about, not a person.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The engines and work would have an additional warranty, no? Wouldn't this be attached to a vin, and in the perfect world, paperwork with the car? Would you be able to call Ford Motor Company with a vin and find out?

Annoying, it shouldn't be that hard.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Ford dealers will not help with an Oasis report on an RS, if it’s not listed for sale at a Ford Dealer. I’ve ran carfax reports & called the dealer where the car was sold new & have explained to the service Dept. why I’m calling & it’s to find out if the cylinder head gasket(s) were ever replaced & they’re unwilling to give out that information.

Ok great? So if a build date is 03-17, carfax doesn’t show a head gasket(s) replacement & we all know that anything before 07–17 has the wrong gaskets, I’m just supposed to spend 35k & hope the engine doesn’t grenade itself? This is ridiculous & I don’t understand why that information is not viewable to the public? It’s a vehicle we are talking about, not a person.

Hey this is right on the recall letter. Call this number and ask how you can tell if this has been done on a car you are looking to buy. You never know....

Can we assist you further? If you have difficulties getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership's Service Manager for assistance. RETAIL OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. If you wish to contact us through the Internet, our address is: www.Fordowner.com. For the hearing impaired call 1-800-232-5952 (TDD). Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Eastern Time).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the process of buying a '16 NB RS from Carvana with 23k on it, because they dropped the price $1300 while I had it saved and then I got it down another $500 with a referral from someone on Reddit. There's been a few hiccups with paperwork, but that's mostly due to Massachusetts' registration process. I think it was a pretty fair price as long as it checks out after I get it inspected.
Same here. In the process of buying a '17 Stealth Gray RS2 from Carvana. Price is 32K and it's got 10K miles. I'm in Florida and I think the car is at the Jacksonville Carvana now. Having it delivered to the Tampa Carvana. I was a little apprehensive about buying a car online, but It was a easy process and I've talked to several real people at Carvana on the phone. Man, I can't explain how easy the process is. No pain in the ass salesman trying to rake you over the coals and no BS fees. Went through the trade in process. I have a paid off '18 ST3 with 14K miles and they are giving me $17,488 for it and I'm putting an additional 6k in cash down. I'll have the RS paid for in a year. Yes, I'm concerned about the HG issue, I talked to Eric today {Sunday} about this issue and he's going to check into it, because the carfax doesn't really show anything. I'll be calling the original dealer tomorrow and see if it's been replaced. The build date is 4-4-17 according to carfax. At least I'll still have some of the 3/36 warranty left on it. I'll be picking it up Saturday morning 11-23. Driving my ST3 to them, then driving my RS home. I hope everything goes smooth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here. In the process of buying a '17 Stealth Gray RS2 from Carvana. Price is 32K and it's got 10K miles. I'm in Florida and I think the car is at the Jacksonville Carvana now. Having it delivered to the Tampa Carvana. I was a little apprehensive about buying a car online, but It was a easy process and I've talked to several real people at Carvana on the phone. Man, I can't explain how easy the process is. No pain in the ass salesman trying to rake you over the coals and no BS fees. Went through the trade in process. I have a paid off '18 ST3 with 14K miles and they are giving me $17,488 for it and I'm putting an additional 6k in cash down. I'll have the RS paid for in a year. Yes, I'm concerned about the HG issue, I talked to Eric today {Sunday} about this issue and he's going to check into it, because the carfax doesn't really show anything. I'll be calling the original dealer tomorrow and see if it's been replaced. The build date is 4-4-17 according to carfax. At least I'll still have some of the 3/36 warranty left on it. I'll be picking it up Saturday morning 11-23. Driving my ST3 to them, then driving my RS home. I hope everything goes smooth.
Congrats! Make sure you look over the car really well when you pick it up. Mine had the door poorly repainted (which they never noted in the inspection report) and I'm in the process of trying to get them to agree to repair it before my return window is up. The purchasing process was definitely easy, but I'm not confident in their quality inspections. Although, I'm not sure any used car dealer is great in that sense. Hopefully, they'll make it right though.

I hope your purchase goes better haha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
See, that’s the thing, buying sight unseen just makes me nervous as hell. I look at Carvana’s add’s every week, but I just can’t get myself to do it. Many of their carfax reports show 2-owners & there’s often a mention of ‘fluid leak’ or ‘engine leak checked’ etc. It drives me nuts.

Don’t even get me started on CarMax. They will not deal for anything & I’ve tried to talk with them, but it’s like talking to a brick wall.

About the head gaskets: There is no way in hell I’m buying an RS unless the Carfax says it (some of them do show it) or unless I call Ford Customer Care, give them the VIN & they can confirm its be done.

Anyone see the ‘17 SB w/ only 3.2k miles on Vroom? Check out the CarFax on that car. It shows the head gaskets were replaced with like 996 miles on it. Great, right? Then shows the head gaskets were just replaced again because of a ‘fluid leak’ checked & now it’s for sale for 35k+. I don’t know man, I just don’t trust these cars. It seems like it’s always something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
See, that’s the thing, buying sight unseen just makes me nervous as hell. I look at Carvana’s add’s every week, but I just can’t get myself to do it. Many of their carfax reports show 2-owners & there’s often a mention of ‘fluid leak’ or ‘engine leak checked’ etc. It drives me nuts.

Yeah it's definitely a risk, but I was willing to take it for this one. It was one owner, had the head gasket repair on the Carfax, and nothing else for ~10k miles after that. I bought an extended warranty for it too just to cover my ass. At least with Carvana you can return it if something isn't right.

I agree though, I wouldn't have went for a lot of the other ones I saw. Just have to wait until the right one comes along.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah it's definitely a risk, but I was willing to take it for this one. It was one owner, had the head gasket repair on the Carfax, and nothing else for ~10k miles after that. I bought an extended warranty for it too just to cover my ass. At least with Carvana you can return it if something isn't right.

I agree though, I wouldn't have went for a lot of the other ones I saw. Just have to wait until the right one comes along.

Carvana has that ‘16 FW with only 15k miles for just over 30k. Seems like a fair deal, but the Carfax report seems sketchy to me + it has had 2-owners & the drivers side Recaro looks worn or something doesn’t seem right with the bolster & it’s not possible to get any real time pics, so I passed on it. Plus, they replaced (4) tires & I’m particular what tires I would want on the RS & they don’t appear to be Michelin PSS or Continental Compacts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Btw, how does Carvana handle out-of-state registration & DMV emissions, smog etc.? Is the buyer responsible to do all of that? I looked into buying an RS out-of-state, from a Ford Dealer & having it shipped until I realize what a hassle it would be with emissions inspection, smog, registration for plates etc., it’s a lot of work, unless you’re saving a few grand. But it seems so difficult to get a decent price on any clean, low mileage RS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I specifically avoided ones that had four new tires because they put on the cheapest tires they can buy.

The registration process is all taken care of by Carvana, but how they do it varies a lot by state obviously. It's been painless for me though. The only thing I'll need to do is get it inspected I think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am looking as well, one question I had.
If a car never ad the HG recall work done and you have an extended factory warranty, how does that work? The car has a warranty, but is out of compliance on the recall? Who is responsible?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Were the cylinder head gasket(s) an open recall or FSA? In other words, open recalls that weren’t done always appear on a CARFAX report. It’s my understanding that the head gaskets FSA had to be done by the end of 05-19? Not not sure if I have that date correct or how that works with any vehicle still under it’s 5/60 powertrain warranty. If in doubt, I’d just call Ford customer care & give them the VIN & ask them if it’s been completed.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I am looking as well, one question I had.
If a car never ad the HG recall work done and you have an extended factory warranty, how does that work? The car has a warranty, but is out of compliance on the recall? Who is responsible?
Most likely no coverage if the engine fails due to not getting the repair done. It states that in the FSA.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I’ve seen an RS or two at non-Ford dealers with a ‘mountune’ sticker or badge on the vehicle. Would this be a cause for concern? How would you know if it was tuned? I’m assuming the non-Ford dealers simply don’t care? Also, how would you know if they used the correct oil & put the right gas into the car? I guess these are just things that worry me & why I would prefer just to buy one from a Ford Dealer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I’ve seen an RS or two at non-Ford dealers with a ‘mountune’ sticker or badge on the vehicle. Would this be a cause for concern? How would you know if it was tuned? I’m assuming the non-Ford dealers simply don’t care? Also, how would you know if they used the correct oil & put the right gas into the car? I guess these are just things that worry me & why I would prefer just to buy one from a Ford Dealer.

Take it to a Ford dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. They'll be able to tell you if the car has been tuned or not. Just because a car has a Mountune sticker doesn't mean it's a concern though.....previous owner could've just installed some mudflaps or something lol.

If you're so worried about correct oil and gas you can probably get a shop to drain everything out and replace with the correct oil and gas. But even if you buy your car from a Ford dealer they can put in 87 octane gas without realizing the RS needs 91/93. A tank of 87 isn't gonna kill your car.....just take it easy and fill it up with 91/93 afterwards.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Carfax isn't the end all be all. I wouldn't get too concerned about a Carfax report not being perfect. Stuff like repairs and maintenance aren't reliable in carfax because it all depends on the shop entering it into the carfax system, and not all of them do it at all or to the same standard. Then there is the fact that some customers take the car to the dealer for every little noise or random phantom "problem".. there isn't always something that actually needs fixed. Even accident histories aren't reliable in carfax. I've had cars that were in accidents that never appeared on carfax. I believe accidents showing up in carfax depends on the police getting involved and reporting the accident.

Mountune or any sort of performance brand sticker on a car.. I tend to avoid those. It usually means the car was modified. That isn't a big deal on its own, but a lot of people who mod the car will beat the piss out of it. I'm more concerned about that. There is no way that I know of to tell if the car has had the wrong gas put in it, same with the oil. That is just a risk with any used car.

I just glanced through this thread. Seems like you are looking for a lower mileage car for about $28k. I keep an eye on the RS market to just track my own cars value.. I haven't seen any cars that fit that criteria. I have a 2017 with 8k miles on it and Carvana would currently give me $27k for it. So odds are to get what you are looking for you'll have to spend over $30k. Might get lucky with some patience, might not. The used market on these cars has stayed pretty strong. I would try to raise your budget a bit to open up some options.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts