Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The colors are always an issue also. I’d prefer a white one & when 2-3 of them pop up within 500 miles, they’re typically always black or blue etc. Don’t get me wrong, black looks amazing but it’s such a hassle to clean & blue sticks out like a sore thumb for cops. Or it’s white, but it doesn’t have the black wheels & I just don’t care for those gun-metal alloys. It’s always something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget that changing wheels are easy and black is considered the best color to wrap. Keep looking, decent ones pop up on the market every once in a while. I got the base wheels because I figured that I would change the wheels or powdercoat them if I got bored and wouldn't feel bad about tinkering with the forged ones.

Are you a member of Costco or credit union? Often they have a car buying service and may be able to alert you to something that pops up.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't forget that changing wheels are easy and black is considered the best color to wrap. Keep looking, decent ones pop up on the market every once in a while. I got the base wheels because I figured that I would change the wheels or powdercoat them if I got bored and wouldn't feel bad about tinkering with the forged ones.

Are you a member of Costco or credit union? Often they have a car buying service and may be able to alert you to something that pops up.

I was going to buy that ‘17 Black RS w/11k miles, in FL, for 28k & gamble on it, however that dealership won’t sell to anyone registering it in CA. Apparently it’s their policy, I have no clue. They did send me a pic though & the brake rotor was orange, which was a red flag for me. It was almost as though it was underwater, otherwise why would a brake rotor be orange? In any case, probably a blessing in disguise because I think buying a car sight unseen & shipping it 2300 miles is probably a foolish idea anyway.

·
Registered
460 Posts
"Orange rotor?" Pretty much any vehicle in my driveway which hasn't been driven in a few days since it rained.

Can't speak for why most FoRS end up at smaller dealers or independent ones, but mine (treated well, though enjoyed too) is listed with an indy because he had the one vehicle I was looking to acquire. If someone wants a good '17 w/35k in the NYC area, check out Hunting Ridge Motors (and PM me if my knowledge is of interest).

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I was going to buy that ‘17 Black RS w/11k miles, in FL, for 28k & gamble on it, however that dealership won’t sell to anyone registering it in CA. Apparently it’s their policy, I have no clue. They did send me a pic though & the brake rotor was orange, which was a red flag for me. It was almost as though it was underwater, otherwise why would a brake rotor be orange? In any case, probably a blessing in disguise because I think buying a car sight unseen & shipping it 2300 miles is probably a foolish idea anyway.

Not sure where you are but you probably should have bought the first one. As others have said the recall process took a long time to happen and a long time to get all the cars done. Not sure how you feel about Race Red but this might be worth looking into.

Good price from a private party on a Stealth Grey.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
About the cylinder head gasket(s), I’ve seen many where it does show they were replaced, however it wasn’t until like 5-8k miles were put onto the car. Would there be cause for concern if the engine was driving around all of that time, 1-2yrs with the wrong cylinder head gasket(s)?

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
About the cylinder head gasket(s), I’ve seen many where it does show they were replaced, however it wasn’t until like 5-8k miles were put onto the car. Would there be cause for concern if the engine was driving around all of that time, 1-2yrs with the wrong cylinder head gasket(s)?

Everyone drove around for a long time. The TSB came out and everyone brought their cars in and dropped them off. The gasket was checked, as well as the head. Whatever the car needed was replaced under warranty. The time to worry was when your car was being diagnosed and worked on. Now that they have all been done the worrying is over. The only cars that had the head gasket replaced before being sold were all the cars sitting on the dealer lots when the TSB came out. (They got done last).

I'm sure there are plenty of nice RS's available. But you need to be realistic. As @ Molez93 said an orange rotor? It's pretty normal after a rainy day. All it really means is the car hasn't moved since the rotors got wet.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would also say, that the owners are obviously going to try and get what the market warrants out of their cars. If others are selling for 30k that are similar, then that’s what they are going to sell it for. I would just be on the look out for the color you want and a seller that isn’t shady. Cars are going to be driven and the longer you wait on a car that is no longer made, the more miles they will have. And of course there will be some that think they have a unicorn with low miles and then they will ask way too much....

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would also say, that the owners are obviously going to try and get what the market warrants out of their cars. If others are selling for 30k that are similar, then that’s what they are going to sell it for. I would just be on the look out for the color you want and a seller that isn’t shady. Cars are going to be driven and the longer you wait on a car that is no longer made, the more miles they will have. And of course there will be some that think they have a unicorn with low miles and then they will ask way too much....

How do you find out if the cylinder head gaskets were replaced, if the RS is for sale at CARMAX or a non-Ford dealership? Carmax won’t show carfax reports, they have those stupid ‘auto-check’ reports & those are useless. Also, most Carfax reports are a good timeline but aren’t showing ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced. Some do, but most don’t. So how do you know? Do you run the VIN & then call the Ford Dealer that sold it new? Will the Ford Dealer actually take the time to help you, on a vehicle they don’t even have?

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There are a bunch on Carvana. Some low miles.

They move a lot of cars, similar to Carmax, however this is solely done online & sight unseen. They do make the buying process easy though & no hidden fees. + they will bring the car to you. I actually like the concept & they drop their prices to move a vehicle. Clean carfax vehicles only w/ no accidents & they’ll take your trade-in, if you want to do that. They make things easy, especially if you’re by yourself & doing things alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the process of buying a '16 NB RS from Carvana with 23k on it, because they dropped the price $1300 while I had it saved and then I got it down another $500 with a referral from someone on Reddit. There's been a few hiccups with paperwork, but that's mostly due to Massachusetts' registration process. I think it was a pretty fair price as long as it checks out after I get it inspected.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, I'm in the process of buying a '16 NB RS from Carvana with 23k on it, because they dropped the price $1300 while I had it saved and then I got it down another $500 with a referral from someone on Reddit. There's been a few hiccups with paperwork, but that's mostly due to Massachusetts' registration process. I think it was a pretty fair price as long as it checks out after I get it inspected.

Best of luck with the process. Carvana has a lot of positive reviews on YouTube. Buyers are sick & tired of dealership nonsense, $500 doc fees & all the BS. Carvana is very straight forward & makes it simple. The Carfax reports are what concern me on the RS though. Many will have multiple owners & don’t show that the head gaskets were replaced. The out-of-State vehicles are kind of a hassle also, since we (buyers) are responsible for having to go down to the DMV for new plates etc., it’s a pain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get the VIN and have a Ford dealership run it in their internal system. They will be able to tell you what has been done to the car and when.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Reading through this quickly, why not just go with an 18? Little it of a premium, but relatively newer?

I was casually looking at the RS as I had an STI Type RA on order. I had always wanted an STI, but when I started looking more into the competitors, the RS kept coming up. Popped into a ford dealer in February 2018, they had 2 RR and 1 NB (all 3 18s) along with a SG 17 that was the manager's demo car with 2,200mi. They were pushing me hard to the SG and were being very wishy washy re the HG, or they wanted over sticker for an 18. Walked away (wasn't driving any car with Cup 2s on it out of the lot anyway that day as it was snowing!). Ended up stumbling into another 18 NB RS, without the sunroof! But at that time, there were a lot of new 16s and 17s on lots for sale. I did notice a lot of these cars were on dealer lots, but not on the dealers website.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you're not in a rush, just keep looking. I imagine once the Supras and new Vettes start selling people will be getting out of their RS and into one of these. The warranties are up on the 2016s and many 2017s, so you will start seeing those appear more because of the warranty and new toys showing up.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Reading through this quickly, why not just go with an 18? Little it of a premium, but relatively newer?

I was casually looking at the RS as I had an STI Type RA on order. I had always wanted an STI, but when I started looking more into the competitors, the RS kept coming up. Popped into a ford dealer in February 2018, they had 2 RR and 1 NB (all 3 18s) along with a SG 17 that was the manager's demo car with 2,200mi. They were pushing me hard to the SG and were being very wishy washy re the HG, or they wanted over sticker for an 18. Walked away (wasn't driving any car with Cup 2s on it out of the lot anyway that day as it was snowing!). Ended up stumbling into another 18 NB RS, without the sunroof! But at that time, there were a lot of new 16s and 17s on lots for sale. I did notice a lot of these cars were on dealer lots, but not on the dealers website.

More color options in ‘16-‘17 make those more appealing to most. Most people, generally speaking, really don’t want to own a blue or red car. If I had to choose though, I’d take the ‘18 NB RS over RR.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
More color options in ‘16-‘17 make those more appealing to most. Most people, generally speaking, really don’t want to own a blue or red car. If I had to choose though, I’d take the ‘18 NB RS over RR.

Here is the letter that went out. As you can see it went out in Feb. of 2018. All repairs were to be completed by Feb. 2019 then it was extended to 3/31/19 so some cars out there may not have been completed until this year.

MC-10153980-9999.pdf

Attachments

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here’s what I don’t understand about the head gaskets repair. If that repair was made, at a Ford dealer, on a used vehicle, under warranty, then why the hell doesn’t it show up on a Carfax report? I’m going to assume because it was never done? Because some carfax reports do show ‘cooling system checked’ followed by ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced. I was always under the assumption that anytime a used vehicle, had warranty repair work done, at the dealership, that it was always reported on a carfax report?

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Here’s what I don’t understand about the head gaskets repair. If that repair was made, at a Ford dealer, on a used vehicle, under warranty, then why the hell doesn’t it show up on a Carfax report? I’m going to assume because it was never done? Because some carfax reports do show ‘cooling system checked’ followed by ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced. I was always under the assumption that anytime a used vehicle, had warranty repair work done, at the dealership, that it was always reported on a carfax report?

Yea, I think it depends if the dealer submits the info to Carfax. Most probably don't. As long as you have a Vin# any Ford dealer should be able to look up the history for you.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Ahhh, good point. I've always been color agnostic, even joking that I would take a polkadot pink car if it saved me a few $ks. I prefer harder to spot cars; greys, blacks, silvers, etc. In the RS's case, I really wanted the SG, but settled for NB because it was the signature color and the HG issues. In early 2018, there was a lot of theories, chatter and mis-information about the HG, so I thought it was based to avoid. And being a limited edition, it was easy to talk myself into an 18 NB.

21 - 40 of 641 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.