Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed how so many of these used 2016-2017s have bounced around 2-3 owners within a 1-3 year window? That’s never a good thing, however dealers have no problem advertising them for 35k+ with 15-20k miles. First owner drives the heck out of it for 7-8k miles, then trades it in, 2nd-owner does the same & now you’re stuck as the 3rd owner on a 2yo car, wondering if the engine was beat up?

Also, only a few of them will actually say ‘cylinder head gasket(s)’ replaced on their carfax reports, so there’s always the unknown.

Is the best thing to do is look for a CPO car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think you will pay heavily for CPO, each car has its own story... mine was owned by a guy for two years had 5k miles on it.
Now I drive daily...

I could potentially sell mine, have been having really bad sciatica and it makes it painful to drive. The Euro Recaros have zero adjustability. I don’t want to sell but could happen...
Each car will have it’s own story, yes some people beat the heck out of them, some put a ton of $ into them.

Just depends...

·
Registered
110 Posts
My friend bought a CPO car, Subaru WRX. The car was tuned by the previous owner and my friend had power cuts on the car at random times. Car was only like 2 years old and he ended up selling it for a brand new WRX rather than deal with fixing it. Maybe some dealerships actually look at the trade in for wear or computer tuning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here’s why the used RS market drives me crazy. I just saw a 2017 come up for sale at a Ford Dealer with only 5k miles for 36k. I immediately check the carfax & it shows a branded title. I look into it more & the vehicle showed a head replacement & cylinder head gaskets replaced.

Here’s the kicker: The car arrived at the dealer in early ‘17 & sat there until mid-2018 before it sold. For over a year, in sat on that Ford lot with the wrong head gaskets & they knowingly sold it anyways? And now the car has only 5k miles & a ruined title. It’s just so bizarre to me.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Confused...?

recall didn’t happen till start of ‘18.
Did mine pretty early March ‘18.
Then there was the huge part shortage and none where getting done.

A lot of dealers didn’t do the gasket until pushed, not all even knew about it.
Mid ‘18 no one had parts.

Not sure what a branded title is or why a recall carried out has ruined the title.

Sounds like you found a low mileage recall done ‘17 RS with a hefty resale,
What’s so bizarre?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The most likely reason it sat on lot for a year plus is because the dealer probably had a huge markup on it. When these first came out dealers marked these up like crazy to make profit and a lot ended up sitting on lots for a while.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confused...?

recall didn’t happen till start of ‘18.
Did mine pretty early March ‘18.
Then there was the huge part shortage and none where getting done.

A lot of dealers didn’t do the gasket until pushed, not all even knew about it.
Mid ‘18 no one had parts.

Not sure what a branded title is or why a recall carried out has ruined the title.

Sounds like you found a low mileage recall done ‘17 RS with a hefty resale,
What’s so bizarre?

What’s so bizarre? You’re joking, right? The head gasket nightmare existed in 2016. Everyone was aware in 2017. This car wasn’t sold until spring of 2018. You trying to tell me that Ford sold this brand new car in 2018 & didn’t think the head gaskets were an issue? That’s a 40k+ car that a customer just drove off their lot & only to have it fail within 5k miles. Branded title means Lemon. Some insurance agencies, such as AAA, won’t insure a Lemon & good luck on selling a branded title private party.

That vehicle should’ve never left that Ford lot in 2018 until those head gaskets were replaced. I’ve been searching these cars for over a year now & I’m sick of dealers acting as though they’re oblivious to the issue.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Around where I live (Vancouver bc) there have been very very little on the used market. Seems like everyone who has them wants to keep them.

Some clearly fake ads pop up (to try and manipulate value) but otherwise they’re pretty rare

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Around where I live (Vancouver bc) there have been very very little on the used market. Seems like everyone who has them wants to keep them.

Some clearly fake ads pop up (to try and manipulate value) but otherwise they’re pretty rare

Just the opposite in SoCal. Two things I’ve seen. Either it’s a ‘16-‘17 with 2+ owners or it’s a one-owner car with high mileage & the owner traded it with 2-3 months left on the 3/36. That said, I avoid all of those, so then I’m left with very few, if any, within 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
What’s so bizarre? You’re joking, right? The head gasket nightmare existed in 2016. Everyone was aware in 2017. This car wasn’t sold until spring of 2018. You trying to tell me that Ford sold this brand new car in 2018 & didn’t think the head gaskets were an issue? That’s a 40k+ car that a customer just drove off their lot & only to have it fail within 5k miles. Branded title means Lemon. Some insurance agencies, such as AAA, won’t insure a Lemon & good luck on selling a branded title private party.

That vehicle should’ve never left that Ford lot in 2018 until those head gaskets were replaced. I’ve been searching these cars for over a year now & I’m sick of dealers acting as though they’re oblivious to the issue.

Dude, Ford didn’t authorize or acknowledge the recall till Jan ‘18. Even tho yes everyone knew.

Spring of ‘18 Ford ran out of parts, dealers where replacing heads that didn’t need it cause they didn’t want to do the work.

yes I am completely telling you Ford sold it with the issue unless your state had laws.
Lemon means the dealer prolly botched the job and the car never ran right again like so many others...

Dude sounds like you come lately to Ford dealers incompetence with the RS....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I happened to find a one owner car when I was looking, but it honestly wasnt my main criteria. If the car was regularly serviced, well cared for, and in nice condition, I would not be deterred if there were a second owner, even in only 2-3 years. Not everyone keeps cars for a very long time. Condition and history are more important.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you will pay heavily for CPO, each car has its own story... mine was owned by a guy for two years had 5k miles on it.
Now I drive daily...

I could potentially sell mine, have been having really bad sciatica and it makes it painful to drive. The Euro Recaros have zero adjustability. I don’t want to sell but could happen...
Each car will have it’s own story, yes some people beat the heck out of them, some put a ton of $ into them.

Just depends...

You could always sell/trade me the Euro recaros for my US spec recaros and help you out :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local Ford dealer sent me an email today saying they just got a ‘17 with 20k miles for 33k. I’m like really? I’m not paying 33k+ tax & fees for a performance car with 20k miles on it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My local Ford dealer sent me an email today saying they just got a ‘17 with 20k miles for 33k. I’m like really? I’m not paying 33k+ tax & fees for a performance car with 20k miles on it.
I remember when I was shopping for the RS one of the SoCal dealers responded to my email asking for pricing with a call from the "SVT Manager". He totally danced around the pricing issue and said I should really let him take me out for a drive in the RS so I can get a feel for it.

Not drive it, mind you; don't be daft. But he would let me sit in it while he drove around the block. I should be so lucky he would let me sit up front.

Fork dealerships. I'm never buying another car through that process again. Tesla or whoever is going to sell direct to consumers, they can get my money.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

Actually, that's exactly what a dealer ship would do. If it didn't have a Recall then they do not have to fix it.

They might do a TSB, but TSB is not required.

While almost every RS sitting on a lot has had the gasket done, before Ford came out with the Recall we had to fight HARD just to get the issue resolved or even acknowledged.

I had the car in twice for a pressure test, and had weekly visits where the dealer had to top off the coolant. I recorded and uploaded EVERY single coldstart when it spewed coolant smoke. But that amounted to nothing. I was told, "It was water vapor" even though I knew it was not.

I eventually came to the attitude that I had no ****s left to give. I continued weekly top off visits. And the week before my engine hydro locked, I was racing a Honda CTR until we time warped into Mexico.

The next Sunday at Cars & Coffee, I parked my car, and in the 2hrs it was sitting it deposited enough coolant into the cylinders that it hydro locked itself.

I had it towed to Ford, and on the drop off letter, I put in huge letters:
HYDROLOCKED, REMOVE PLUGS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START.
I got a call from the service guy on Monday telling me, "We tried to start your car, but we couldn't because it was hydro locked." The dealer eventually gave me a brand new long block because the head/deck were warped beyond repair.

My car was among the worst offenders. So bad that my video's were picked up by Jalopnik, and I let Alex from LegitStreetCars do a video on my car. At the time of the video, we still didn't know what the cause was. But we had strong evidence from Stratified's post on these forums what it could be.

A few months later the recall was announced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone else noticed how so many of these used 2016-2017s have bounced around 2-3 owners within a 1-3 year window? That’s never a good thing, however dealers have no problem advertising them for 35k+ with 15-20k miles. First owner drives the heck out of it for 7-8k miles, then trades it in, 2nd-owner does the same & now you’re stuck as the 3rd owner on a 2yo car, wondering if the engine was beat up?

Also, only a few of them will actually say ‘cylinder head gasket(s)’ replaced on their carfax reports, so there’s always the unknown.

Is the best thing to do is look for a CPO car?

Just be patient, the deals are out there. I bought a 2017 NB RS2 CPO with 2,700 miles in September for $34,500. It was also not affected by head gasket recall. It took me a couple of months to find the right car. I was also willing to drive 12 hrs to go pick up the car. I found a lot of good deals online using Cargurus and Autotrader only to find out that they were buybacks. Dealing with dealers can be a headache. Just remember it you with the money and they want it badly. Private person is probably you best bet. There are alot of people who get tired of toys and want new ones. Some people I think bought them because they thought they would be collectors. Just make sure you get a inspection. Another thing I found out is the build date on the door pillar is not always correct. The build date on mine says 05/17 and the carfax said 11/17 but on the oasis report said the car was built 09/02/2017.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just be patient, the deals are out there. I bought a 2017 NB RS2 CPO with 2,700 miles in September for $34,500. It was also not affected by head gasket recall. It took me a couple of months to find the right car. I was also willing to drive 12 hrs to go pick up the car. I found a lot of good deals online using Cargurus and Autotrader only to find out that they were buybacks. Dealing with dealers can be a headache. Just remember it you with the money and they want it badly. Private person is probably you best bet. There are alot of people who get tired of toys and want new ones. Some people I think bought them because they thought they would be collectors. Just make sure you get a inspection. Another thing I found out is the build date on the door pillar is not always correct. The build date on mine says 05/17 and the carfax said 11/17 but on the oasis report said the car was built 09/02/2017.

It sounds like you got a great car bro, congrats & enjoy it!

As far as dealers go, don’t even get me started. It’s amazing how some of them will advertise Lemon (branded) titles cars as seemingly clean title cars, very shady & asking for market price for them. AAA won’t even insure a Lemon buyback. I’ll also typically avoid any RS that isn’t at a major dealer. Those smaller corner-lot dealers you have to be careful with. There’s typically always a reason an RS ended up there & not at Ford etc., & usually it’s a ‘damage’ reported carfax, however it also says ‘no accidents reported’, just odd. CarGuru’s, IMO, is the easiest site to weed out the Lemon & Salvage cars. If I go nationwide from my zip, that will usually eliminate around 20 cars or so.

As I browse the ads & look at carfax reports, many of them are within 3-6 months of the factory 3/36 expiring, so it’s like guys were smart on getting out of it right before that warranty expired. I’m really hoping to come across one of those left-over 2017s that didn’t sell until late 2018 or early 2019 & still has a lot of the 3/36 left, but it’s a waiting game, for sure

Honestly, at this point, I’m so frustrated with searching that I might just settle for a FoST, as long as it’s the ST3 Trim & under 10k miles & save myself 12-15k.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honestly, at this point, I’m so frustrated with searching that I might just settle for a FoST, as long as it’s the ST3 Trim & under 10k miles & save myself 12-15k.
I understand your sentiment. When looking in SoCal for my RS multiple phone calls had people selling them 15k over sticker. Calling me back after a few weeks offering me a deal at 10k over stick and so on. I found a dealer who was selling them for just under sticker and I bit in Feb 2017. I've had the recall done, I've had the car in multiple times for stupid stuff as a result of the recall. As of today I'm sitting at 26k and still absolutely love the car.

I came from a fully tuned and bolted on FoST and there isn't a comparison. The ST had power delivery like a hammer with wheelspin and was fun but unusable. The RS is something else, in a completely different category. Maybe test drive both and see if you can settle for a FoST.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The colors are always an issue also. I’d prefer a white one & when 2-3 of them pop up within 500 miles, they’re typically always black or blue etc. Don’t get me wrong, black looks amazing but it’s such a hassle to clean & blue sticks out like a sore thumb for cops. Or it’s white, but it doesn’t have the black wheels & I just don’t care for those gun-metal alloys. It’s always something.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts