Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! So I am trying to update to the latest Sync 3.4 version, and none of my USB drives are getting picked up by the head unit. I am wondering if this doesn't have something to do with the message I get at startup: "USB hubs are not supported." Looks like I may need a new piece of hardware for that. Anyone have a part # for our RS?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like I've run into MEM ERR problems with smaller drives. These just don't get picked up at all. Either way, I might still want to fix the "usb hubs not supported" error with a new part

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
425 Posts
Does that error only happen when you plug in your USB drive? If it is, then your USB drive doubles as a USB hub and that won't work. Get my $8 "ultra flair" drive I can confirm works great in that case:

If you recently updated this car and it's older (not RS) to 3.4 or higher and this message ALWAYS displays on startup, then you'll need to swap your USB interface with this:

Sync 3.4 doesn't support the older factory USB interfaces. My sister has a 2014 F-150 and I had to swap out her USB interface for this one and then it worked great.
Not very expensive, so worth a shot if you keep getting that error regardless of a USB drive plugged in or not. The error generates from the older USB interface itself.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The latter: this error always shows up on startup. I think I updated all the way back in 2020 or 2019, but I just got around to thinking about that error. Perhaps I just don't use the dash USB port, as I tend to plug my phone into the USB port in the arm rest. I don't know if it actually works. I believe I've seen elsewhere that other 2016 RSes had the same problem, I just couldn't find where.

I was doing some more searching, and our part number might actually be HU5Z-19A387-C. Wonder if they are the same size though, perhaps they could hypothetically be swapped for one another. Having an extra port might be neat. Though everything seems to say that 2016 Mustang and Focus want this part, and not the other one.

Did you format them the correct way?
That's gonna be the next thing to try. Syn3Updater formatted them to exFAT, but I am wondering if the car wouldn't prefer it to be FAT32.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cyan labs covered this extensively. You can check out this thread to see if it works but throws the error, or doesn't work at all depending on your part number. Took me less than a minute to swap it in my sisters truck, it just pops out and then two connectors.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Jeez! I really should update my SYNC; checked my version a few weeks ago and it's ver 2.4 or some such ancient version. Have to change my handle to Slacker! :LOL:

@Atomicinternet Thanks for the tips/links on the drives! Might need to get them for my SYNC.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cyan labs covered this extensively. You can check out this thread to see if it works but throws the error, or doesn't work at all depending on your part number. Took me less than a minute to swap it in my sisters truck, it just pops out and then two connectors.

Thanks for the link. Re-reading a comment in there, looks like HU5Z is in fact ours (Mustang and Focus) and HC3Z is C-Max/F-trucks, etc

Reactions: Wiley Marmot

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The latter: this error always shows up on startup. I think I updated all the way back in 2020 or 2019, but I just got around to thinking about that error. Perhaps I just don't use the dash USB port, as I tend to plug my phone into the USB port in the arm rest. I don't know if it actually works. I believe I've seen elsewhere that other 2016 RSes had the same problem, I just couldn't find where.

I was doing some more searching, and our part number might actually be HU5Z-19A387-C. Wonder if they are the same size though, perhaps they could hypothetically be swapped for one another. Having an extra port might be neat. Though everything seems to say that 2016 Mustang and Focus want this part, and not the other one.

That's gonna be the next thing to try. Syn3Updater formatted them to exFAT, but I am wondering if the car wouldn't prefer it to be FAT32.
From memory, I used FAT32, no dramas when done that way.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From memory, I used FAT32, no dramas when done that way.
I took another flash drive and formatted it FAT32 before manually copying the files over. This time it was recognized as update-worthy and update started up. I am thinking exFAT (Syn3Updater's default) is the issue. Sadly, an hour-fifteen later it was still not done, and I shut it all off to go figure out why it's not completing. Ordered a new USB hub too, going to pop that sucker in over the weekend.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you're updating maps, it will take that long. I use my battery charger and open my windows. I leave the ignition on and rech in to cycle it every 30 minutes so it doesn't turn off in the middle.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're updating maps, it will take that long. I use my battery charger and open my windows. I leave the ignition on and rech in to cycle it every 30 minutes so it doesn't turn off in the middle.
I don't have Nav, and all prior updates were under 30 minutes. I am thinking it might be a space / Gracenote issue. I have an 8GB unit (told so by the CyanLab interrogator tool), and there was under a gig of space left. According to a tutorial on CyanLabs, it's recommended to have 1.5GB+ free. So I am going the delete-Gracenote + install Apps/Voice + install Gracenote route. I vaguely remember needing to do something like that the last time I did it too. It also might be a flash drive issue. Either way, I'm just iterating through things.

I don't have a battery charger, but I do have a jump pack. Hooked that up to extend battery power.

Side-note, I'm also wondering why I even care about Gracenote! I looked it up, and it's the thing that's supposed to show art thumbnails when playing media through the headunit. Except mine is never correct. I remember it was showing some sax guy when I was listening to some audio books, another time it was some polka cover while listening to some heavy metal, etc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah you can easily skip Gracenote if you don't have the space, but without maps I'd think 8GB would be more than enough to hold everything. I agree without nav should always be under 30 minutes for an update. I actually swapped out my non-nav APIM for a nav APIM, but before the swap I would always get MEM ERR problems using the standard factory Sync update method. I always had to reformat with the Cyan labs tool. If this gets too frustrating and you're not opposed to just swapping to the nav APIM I've had no issues at all since the swap.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah you can easily skip Gracenote if you don't have the space, but without maps I'd think 8GB would be more than enough to hold everything. I agree without nav should always be under 30 minutes for an update. I actually swapped out my non-nav APIM for a nav APIM, but before the swap I would always get MEM ERR problems using the standard factory Sync update method. I always had to reformat with the Cyan labs tool. If this gets too frustrating and you're not opposed to just swapping to the nav APIM I've had no issues at all since the swap.
Hah, I was actually thinking of doing this exact thing if this keeps being a problem. Either a 16G non-Nav or a full 32 or 64G Nav unit. Got a part #? Where did you get it from? I think it needs to be programmed to your VIN too, right? I saw some mentions that FORScan should be able to do that.

·
Super Moderator
8,341 Posts
Now the dumb question, where did you all download the latest (3.4?) image from? I haven't upgraded since 3.0 several years ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: braap

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, that thread has all you need. The TLDR is going to be just to use the CyanLabs install maker (Syn3Updater). OF NOTE, Syn3Updater insists on formatting all my USBs to exFAT. Not sure why. My car 100% does not care about exFAT. It only recognizes FAT32. What I do instead is do the "create install" with a "to directory" option selected instead of USB. I then manually format a USB drive to FAT32, and copy files from the directory there to the prepared drive.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On topic, getting that USB hub pried up from the top is a pain. I have the new one, but I haven't been able to install it yet, as I think I need to go in through the passenger side. I was hoping it would be trivial to pop it up from the top using trim tools, but it's tight in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts