Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
It's my first post. I don't own a RS yet and still have some doubts if I should wait for an '18 model or go and buy a '17 today.

I am familiar with the upgrades - cosmetic (black roof, spoiler, mirrors and carbon trim) and the diff being most important to me.
I am also aware about the price/package difference (RS2 package is now stock). So I don't care much about anything but the diff in the '18.

How hard(expensive) is it to upgrade to
Code:
performanceparts ford com/part/2536-ATB-AA
and is it worth it?
Not talking about if it will be cheaper, don't care much about it. It's more like "How hard is it to do it and what are the chances they will mess up my car".

I am a driver enthusiast and not much of a mechanic one. That will be a dealer job, but I have no idea where the diff is and how hard will it be to change it.
Does the gearbox have to be taken out? I could only find a ST video
Code:
youtube com/watch?v=jbq5ml3fXrE
and it looks like something that could definitely be messed up even from a ford dealership mechanic.

Can't wait to get an RS though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I haven't done it, but the diff is 1200 and install is around another 1k give or take. If you don't have the car, you'd be better off getting the 18 at MSRP than installing the diff in a 17 RS2 at invoice.

The diff install is basically a partial transmission rebuild labor wise, so it's not trivial. While I don't think it's fair to say the dealership would mess it up, this is not the kind of shade tree job any idiot can knock out. You only come out ahead if the diff goes into an RS1. At this stage I would push you towards the 18.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I asked my dealer about install; stated needed to drop the engine? parts and labor over $3000. However i heard some private installers would do it for $2500 and did not have to lower the engine. I was told it will eliminate allot of the torque steer. I think as the 2018s become available we will have more info the cost and results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't done it, but the diff is 1200 and install is around another 1k give or take. If you don't have the car, you'd be better off getting the 18 at MSRP than installing the diff in a 17 RS2 at invoice.

The diff install is basically a partial transmission rebuild labor wise, so it's not trivial. While I don't think it's fair to say the dealership would mess it up, this is not the kind of shade tree job any idiot can knock out. You only come out ahead if the diff goes into an RS1. At this stage I would push you towards the 18.
Well, up to $2,5k extra for a 17 in my opinion is worth it. Both financially and time wise. The 18 is already out there, not all dealerships got their units yet (at least here in US). I was told at my dealership I have to wait 3 months at least (up to 6) for a custom order. And I can't wait half an year...

I asked my dealer about install; stated needed to drop the engine? parts and labor over $3000. However i heard some private installers would do it for $2500 and did not have to lower the engine. I was told it will eliminate allot of the torque steer. I think as the 2018s become available we will have more info the cost and results.
Yup, I would probably go for it, if the replacement would cost me up to $1,5k. Lowering the engine and non-triviality (as Promit said) would probably talk me out of it though. Also is the gearbox used in another vehicle? Because if it is not most of the mechanics will have to learn on MY focus and that's something I am trying to avoid...

·
Registered
26 Posts
what is the need for the lsd front diff are you tracking the car regularly? do you currently track a car regularly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the need for the lsd front diff are you tracking the car regularly? do you currently track a car regularly?
I did not have a car that is god for a track until now. I got a race red 18 over the weekend and it is awesome! I love it!
Have no idea if and how much front LSD will be better, but I have it now. I am a long time fan of the LSD idea - loved the quattro I had before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
LSD

My 2016 RS went through the PTU replacement and recently started having loud transmission whine issues. Long story short, the rear main seal had failed and the tranny crapped out. Ford is putting in a new transmission under warranty and I asked my service rep to see if they can source an 18 tranny with LSD. I told him I would cover the difference in cost if not too pricey. Still waiting for a reply, but it’s only been a few days
Russtang

Reactions: Carlman257

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
My 2016 RS went through the PTU replacement and recently started having loud transmission whine issues. Long story short, the rear main seal had failed and the tranny crapped out. Ford is putting in a new transmission under warranty and I asked my service rep to see if they can source an 18 tranny with LSD. I told him I would cover the difference in cost if not too pricey. Still waiting for a reply, but it’s only been a few days
Russtang
Assuming the labor procedures and estimated hours are the same, you'll likely be out for parts cost alone, which is not bad.

I had the dealer replace my clutch when the engine went boom due to head gasket. I paid about $160 in parts.

If I had thought of the LSD, I might have asked about actually having the LSD installed as the R&R cost for the engine removal and transmission separate would be covered. I would have still had to pay for the LSD parts + cost of installing LSD into the transmission.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Russtang
It all depends on how much of the transmission is being replaced (i.e. just internals or the case as well) etc. If they are rebuilding the guts, then probably you'd just have to cover the cost of the diff and maybe swapping over the ring gear.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Russtang
On a tranny warranty, dealers probably wouldn't go through the effort to rebuild. That's pretty time consuming when they want plug and play to get you in and out. Depending on the availability of the MY18 units, another option may be to see if they can source the Mountune upgraded unit through Ford Performance Parts. Likely a pretty good premium over the the stock units, but if you're ever looking to mod more, the upgraded internals may be worth it. Downsides are you'll be stuck with Mountune's warranty instead of the remainder of the factory vehicle warranty, and Mountune's website says unavailable :( . Good Luck, hope you are driving your car again soon either way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They said they can’t do an 18 unit but are still going to give me a price on putting in a Quaife . He said that he is having his parts guy try to source an LSD for me . Seems strange as you can get the part for days on the Net.
We talked today and they are going to do the head gasket too as he said that Ford has put in an official recall on it.( I haven’t been having gasket problems) I don’t care as I have a Fusion as a free loaner . So far they are going to update the computer, put in a new tranny and maybe LSD , and replace the head gasket. Too bad the Ford Racing tune isn’t ready, they could do that too.
Russtang

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well , bad news for me. The service guy got back to me today and quoted me $3000 to put in the Quaife LSD. I nearly sh###t myself. That’s $1800 in labor to put a differential in a new transmission that is totally out of the car. Makes zero sense. I think they didn’t know how or want to do it. Originally, my service guy told me it would be a big job as they would have drop the rear subframe . I had to point out to him that the diff was in the front , not the back. Perhaps it is a good thing they didn’t try and put it in as they didn’t even know that. Even so , I’m disappointed.
Russtang

1 - 13 of 13 Posts