Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to pick up my car on Friday from Mountune USA and will give my impression on the upgrades for anyone interested in the service.

I have shared some of the photos on facebook, but I thought I would also share them here.

Customer service has been great. I received almost daily updates on the progress of the upgrade and also received pictures of the updates.

I did not try to attempt this level of service on my car because I do not have the skill, tools, space, or time allowed to complete a job like this.

updated to show cost.
upgrades
WPC treatment $650
Transmission service upgraded Carbon Fiber Synchros 1715
Xclutch Twin Sprung Organic Disc 1651
Quaife ATB 899
Short Shifter upgrade to solid bushings and knob 323
PTU Brace 169

5400 in parts.

Labor to drop the transmission and install the above 1,000

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Looking forward to your impressions, both the parts and how Mountune did.

I myself have been doing research on what approach to go with for my transmission. I'm in NorCal and have considered driving down to have Mountune work on the car, but their lead time of 7-10 days is too long for me. On top of that, I already have most of the upgrades they recommend on order (carbon syncros, metal caged bearings, etc.) along with a Wavetrac LSD, which it sounds like they specifically won't do.

Not to derail this thread too much, but since it's somewhat related, anybody out there try out the transmissions from Jacks transmissions or Clarke transmissions? I'm very interested in Clarke's core trade in program since it means I can have it shipped to my local shop, swaps trans, then send out my old one for a refund.

·
Super Moderator
16,476 Posts
Ok, were you having issues or was this just a preventive leaning forward situation with this upgrade? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bbq_pork

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
How much was it out the door?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Question, what is WPC treatment? Edit: oh, all new gears. Gotcha I don’t plan on doing that lol

this is the exact list of parts I plan once I need to replace the clutch (already have most the parts sitting here ready). Extremely interested to hear everything you have to say

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Reactions: Putt Putt

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
This is the same Q-ATB on the LE right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, were you having issues or was this just a preventive leaning forward situation with this upgrade? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No issues. I wanted to build my transmission before I go built block and big turbo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for sharing and interested in your impressions as well, especially on clutch and Q-ATB.
Yep I am also curious on the clutch. This is the one that is suppose to be a good mix of Daily and Track. I did not want to go super hardcore as I only plan to bring my car to the track a few times per year.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
How much was the labor?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking forward to your impressions, both the parts and how Mountune did.

I myself have been doing research on what approach to go with for my transmission. I'm in NorCal and have considered driving down to have Mountune work on the car, but their lead time of 7-10 days is too long for me. On top of that, I already have most of the upgrades they recommend on order (carbon syncros, metal caged bearings, etc.) along with a Wavetrac LSD, which it sounds like they specifically won't do.

Not to derail this thread too much, but since it's somewhat related, anybody out there try out the transmissions from Jacks transmissions or Clarke transmissions? I'm very interested in Clarke's core trade in program since it means I can have it shipped to my local shop, swaps trans, then send out my old one for a refund.
Yeah it was about 10 days total. I know they will not install the Wavetrack LSD There customer service has been top notched up to this point.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
OOOOOH, WPC treated and everything. I've been considering a rebuild from Jack's with the WPC treatment, so I'm very very VERY interested in your review.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OOOOOH, WPC treated and everything. I've been considering a rebuild from Jack's with the WPC treatment, so I'm very very VERY interested in your review.

Yeah I went back and fourth on it, but I will only build the transmission once and not want to wonder "what if"

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts

Might as well do the micro polish too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wish you luck! I’ve had one of Mountune’s stage 1 crate transmissions and an X-clutch org twin disk in my car for about two years now. The LSD was a nice addition for a couple scenarios where I could feel the wheel slip until the brake biasing kicked in. Everything was good until about a month ago when out of the blue I lost the 4th gear synchro while just cruising on the freeway. My guess is they didn’t upgrade the synchros. Looking back I don’t think it was part of the “stage1” package. So now I’m going to pull it out again, replace the synchros, and say goodbye to the x-clutch. Glad to be rid of the excessive noise. Great holding capacity. But there are clutches out there without the drawbacks of the x-clutch twin disk.

I recommend bleeding the clutch on a regular basis to ensure you don’t have any clutch drag. It’s pretty finicky.

Cheers!

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Glad to be rid of the excessive noise. Great holding capacity. But there are clutches out there without the drawbacks of the x-clutch twin disk.
Just curious, what clutch will you be going with this time around? I've never found an aftermarket clutch I've liked, so my current plan is to just stick with OEM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts