Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
  • My 2 cents...started with a16 SE decided I liked the looks so bought a new white 18 ST did all the regular mods/Cobb but decided I needed the AWD for the ski season (in CO) after 2 months (the wife never noticed the upgrade and I must forgotten to mention it) so bough a new 17 RS white of course and she still didn’t notice! Anyway I love the RS over the ST and never once regretted it. I did the Quaife LSD which I think was a huge improvement. Other mods to 380 WHP (dyno) which you really can’t do with the ST. Again, other than the pain in the pocket book, absolutely no regrets!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Buy either and be glad you did! Although imo an “upgraded stock suspension” is not worth 3k extra on top of the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Canada. I had an ST, hated it in the winter. Traded it in and bought a 2018 RS. What a difference! I love it in the snow. SOOOOOOOOO much fun! Don't miss the ST at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I live in Canada. I had an ST, hated it in the winter. Traded it in and bought a 2018 RS. What a difference! I love it in the snow. SOOOOOOOOO much fun! Don't miss the ST at all.
I used my ST last winter, was horrible. But I had pretty new Pirelli P-Zeros so its understandable why it was so bad lol.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking about either getting a Focus RS or a Golf R. I currently have a 2016 Focus ST. I live in Wisconsin and want something to be still fun and capable in the worst winters - I go skiing a lot. Is it worth the upgrade? The RS just seems really good for the price you pay on a low milage used one, but is very similar to the ST (from what ive read, never drove an RS)

So just wondering on your guys thoughts on either of these or if I should just run with the Focus ST...

Thanks
Yeah Im leaning towards a used RS (well kinda have to lol). the golf r I sat and and not drove and it is nicer inside and something different. But the focus is more performance and to me is what i want I think. Just trying to see if its worth souly for going from the ST to RS because everything will be the same but the performance. (is the performance enough to upgrade).
Where as the golf I get a entire new car!
IDK i also already have a roof rack for the focus lol.
I came from your position. I had a 2013 Focus ST before I bought my 2016 RS, and when that was totaled, I replaced it with a 2017 RS.

Many say the ST feels "faster" and it does, but that's because the turbo is so much smaller and more responsive below 3000rpm. The ST's turbo hits like a light switch, and because the ST is a FWD car it breaks the tires loose. Attempting to power out of a low speed tight 90° corner and you have to manage the throttle to keep the inside wheel from turning into smoke.

The RS's power is however very linear. The turbo feels lazy below 2500rpm when you go from no throttle to full throttle. But for daily driving is plenty responsive enough. But once the power comes on the turbo delivers full boost all the way to the red line. So the RS's engine does not fall off past 5000rpm, and it happily pull to 6500rpm. My only issue is Fords implimentation of the overboots scheme. It makes the car feel inconsistent. You can clearly see the boost spike once you get past 5000rpm. And sometimes the ECU doesn't manage part throttle very well, as result the engine responsiveness suffers and it makes the car feel slow. Its like there is a dead spot in the middle of pedal travel. A tune fixes that and makes the car respond so much better.

The ST to RS move is night and day in terms of performance. Immediately the RS feels more competent. The Torque Vectoring from the AWD is extremely subtle and often you don't realize just how much its doing to make the nose of the car dive into corners. It can be ham fisted if you want in drift mode, but mostly it just makes it so you can effectively use full throttle everywhere any time you want and the car will just go with zero drama.

The difference from the 2016 to the 2017's in terms of the damper revision isn't worth it. The RS's ride is still far too stiff in Low speed damping is crap and that's where the pogo effect comes from. The suspension is perfectly fine for when you are pushing the car hard but during regular driving its terrible.

Now comparing the RS against the Golf R the R is more sedate. Its faster in a straight line when modded. The aftermarket is willing to push the R further in terms of power. Combined with the DCT transmission its not unusual to for them to be faster in the straight line. The Golf R also reports better fuel economy. RS averages 21mpg, the Golf R averages 24mpg.

When it comes to handling the RS is much more responsive and fun to drive compared to the R. The RS's AWD system can shuffle the power around faster, and to a much greater degree. So your inputs translate into more action. It turns harder, faster, and balances the corner better. The Golf R counters that with a much more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trading my '18 ST3 for a stealth gray '17 RS2. I'll have it in a week. I love the ST very much, but I really want the RS. Don't think I'll have any regrets. The carfax report looks good on the RS. It's only got 10K miles vs the 14K on my ST. The build date on the '17 RS was April of '17. Any one know how I can find out if head gasket replacement info on the '17 RS using the VIN? Looking forward to spending lots of time on this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks guys, a little more per month than I wanted but I got what I think a good deal on everything and I like to pay my stuff off ASAP-so no new toys lol.
Do need some snow tires yet so I’ll research for them.
And I put my old roof rack on too. More picks to come Im sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys, a little more per month than I wanted but I got what I think a good deal on everything and I like to pay my stuff off ASAP-so no new toys lol.
Do need some snow tires yet so I’ll research for them.
And I put my old roof rack on too. More picks to come Im sure!
View attachment 337208
Beautiful. Glad you got it. I'll have mine on the 23rd. Will miss the ST in certain ways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I haven’t driven it hard just back the couple hours home so far. Definitely has power but can noticed the weight difference for sure.
And the comments/reviews of the bad turning radius are actually true lol.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Just a note on the roof rack, the RS is suppose to use a different one than the ST. RS having the Euro chassis has almost no body panel 100% equal the the ST. (maybe the front fenders or the hood...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just a note on the roof rack, the RS is suppose to use a different one than the ST. RS having the Euro chassis has almost no body panel 100% equal the the ST. (maybe the front fenders or the hood...)
Oh I’ll have to look into it then. I used the same spacing from the ST and it all fit fine. I doubt that Yakima would have different feet for it. All I noticed is that it can be quite close to these rubber drain things maybe? But other than that it seems fine. I just might stick some clear wrap under so dirt doesn’t build up and possibly scratch it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh I’ll have to look into it then. I used the same spacing from the ST and it all fit fine. I doubt that Yakima would have different feet for it. All I noticed is that it can be quite close to these rubber drain things maybe? But other than that it seems fine. I just might stick some clear wrap under so dirt doesn’t build up and possibly scratch it.
Those rubber drainage things are actually holes where the euro-spec roof racks are supposed to “grab on” to the body. AFAIK Yakima hasn’t made an approved rack for the RS because so few were sold here. Only Thule and official Ford are available. With that said, you may be fine with the Yakima since the body will be very similar to the ST even if not 100% identical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Those rubber drainage things are actually holes where the euro-spec roof racks are supposed to “grab on” to the body. AFAIK Yakima hasn’t made an approved rack for the RS because so few were sold here. Only Thule and official Ford are available. With that said, you may be fine with the Yakima since the body will be very similar to the ST even if not 100% identical.
Well thanks for heads up, I didn’t realize the were different. But the clamps/feet do have movement so it fit just fine in the correct spots. But I’ll be sure to keep and eye on things.
Thanks again

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congratulations! You'll for sure have a blast this winter with your new ride. Last winter I bought the WS80 winter tires they are great I would recommend them or the blizzak ws90 snow tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Congratulations! You'll for sure have a blast this winter with your new ride. Last winter I bought the WS80 winter tires they are great I would recommend them or the blizzak ws90 snow tires.
Ok, I was looking at some Yokohama’s that have same kind of design and are quite a bit cheaper and good reviews. I’ve got to get wheels as well and so far tire rack seems to be the best deal

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I've only run the OE winter tire package and love these Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, but I think they are discontinued now. :cry: I guess I'll be looking for a different tire one day, I don't use winter tires much. Maybe I'll sell them off to a rally-x driver when they start to show signs of expiring due to age and find a new winter tire.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I haven’t driven it hard just back the couple hours home so far. Definitely has power but can noticed the weight difference for sure.
And the comments/reviews of the bad turning radius are actually true lol.
Turning circle on the RS is actually tighter than the ST. Though I'm not sure 8" counts much when both cars take 40ft+ to turn around. I use the wall to wall measurement because well, the curb don't count if the. nose scrapes the wall.

Focus RS: 12.2 Meters Wall to Wall

Focus ST: 12.4 Meters Wall to Wall

41 - 60 of 60 Posts