Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking about either getting a Focus RS or a Golf R. I currently have a 2016 Focus ST. I live in Wisconsin and want something to be still fun and capable in the worst winters - I go skiing a lot. Is it worth the upgrade? The RS just seems really good for the price you pay on a low milage used one, but is very similar to the ST (from what ive read, never drove an RS)

So just wondering on your guys thoughts on either of these or if I should just run with the Focus ST...

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
In for replies. Also have an ST but this will be my first winter with it. Want an RS but most around me have lemon titles due to head gasket issues which I’m fine with, but I won’t be ok with it when I’m ready to sell it. I also have an SUV for bad weather so interested in hearing other’s thoughts on the subject

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Never had an ST, but I had 2 LanEvos in the past.

Between the Golf R and the RS, you know which one I picked. .

The Golf R is a great car, just too boring for me though.

The RS is as fun to drive as the Evo.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Never had an ST, but I had 2 LanEvos in the past.

Between the Golf R and the RS, you know which one I picked. .

The Golf R is a great car, just too boring for me though.

The RS is as funNER to drive than the Evo.
That typo u missed above, Fixed it for ya.............

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Im leaning towards a used RS (well kinda have to lol). the golf r I sat and and not drove and it is nicer inside and something different. But the focus is more performance and to me is what i want I think. Just trying to see if its worth souly for going from the ST to RS because everything will be the same but the performance. (is the performance enough to upgrade).
Where as the golf I get a entire new car!
IDK i also already have a roof rack for the focus lol.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Drive both, let us know what you decide. The AWD system on the RS is lightyears better, but you can get the Golf R with a DSG. I imagine the stock ride in the Golf R is better, but there are enough aftermarket suspension options for the RS for nearly all budgets that will improve the ride. You're on an RS forum, so naturally you're going to get a bunch of people here saying get the RS if you can find one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I live in Wi, and have an RS for a daily driver. The RS gets along well and is fun in winter, except for fresh deep snow as the front is low and can trap and push deeper snow. You can get an aluminum skid plate which helps some.
I have a truck for backup if the snow gets out of hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to see if I can, will never see either at a dealership in Central WI, went last night to the VW to look at inside of a GTI they had and they happened to have a Golf R in the back and couldnt take it for a ride but inside is nice and just seems better quality. I do kinda want a auto just because I have an older Mini with manual. But It seems the RS does have better AWD sooo.
its a hard choice. hopefully i can drive both.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
And yes I drove it in snow, I live in Canada. Absolute beast car in any weather and 9 times out of 10 you don’t need to ‘upgrade’ to an RS unless you want to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I dont neeeeed to have either. but really just wondering if the extra power (sense interior is same) is worth about 10k Id spend to get one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know I dont neeeeed to have either. but really just wondering if the extra power (sense interior is same) is worth about 10k Id spend to get one.
I did a similar thing, but didn't come from the ST. I don't think you guys have it over there, but I had a Renault Sport Megane RS265. Worth googling that vs the ST - they are very similar but the Renault, in my opinion, was a step up due to having a front LSD.

So, having said all that - like 320icar I miss my previous car a LOT. It was far more engaging and almost as fast until you get to the limit. Then the Focus comes alive. You can't drive on the limit on the road, so the Focus RS sadly is just more boring than the Megane. Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome car, but if you've had a great FWD car before, it's a very different beast.

Compared to the golf R, it's much more engaging, but the golf is, it IMHO, very dull, but a great comfortable daily driver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a similar thing, but didn't come from the ST. I don't think you guys have it over there, but I had a Renault Sport Megane RS265. Worth googling that vs the ST - they are very similar but the Renault, in my opinion, was a step up due to having a front LSD.

So, having said all that - like 320icar I miss my previous car a LOT. It was far more engaging and almost as fast until you get to the limit. Then the Focus comes alive. You can't drive on the limit on the road, so the Focus RS sadly is just more boring than the Megane. Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome car, but if you've had a great FWD car before, it's a very different beast.

Compared to the golf R, it's much more engaging, but the golf is, it IMHO, very dull, but a great comfortable daily driver.

Thats pretty cool, I actually know about those and to bad we dont have them here, a lot of stuff in europe I wish we could get lol.

I know the Golf would be better but even the sales guy at the dealer said its not a huge difference from the GTI
So trying to see if thats the same case with the ST to the RS....

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know the Golf would be better but even the sales guy at the dealer said its not a huge difference from the GTI
So trying to see if thats the same case with the ST to the RS....
You can't really tell unless you push a car. Tires are more important than AWD, so it's just a matter of what's important to you. I will just say the RS cargo capacity is pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You’re not spending the 10K for extra power. A stock RS doesn’t feel that much faster than an ST due to the weight. You would be trading up so you can have fun in the snow.

I look forward to my drive up the ski hill almost as much as the actual skiing. Sport mode or drift mode, it is a blast. As somebody said above, the RS really comes alive at the limit, and in the winter that limit is much lower and safer :)

The Golf R will be much more comfortable and should still be competent in the snow. It won’t let you play rally driver though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The difference between FWD and AWD in the snow is night and day. We just had a snowfall last night leaving the roads just perfect for some drifting action. The RS in snow is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Rocketing away from lights while everyone else just spins is quite rewarding as well.

Just go for it. You only live once and life passes by far to quickly!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The difference between FWD and AWD in the snow is night and day. We just had a snowfall last night leaving the roads just perfect for some drifting action. The RS in snow is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Rocketing away from lights while everyone else just spins is quite rewarding as well.

Just go for it. You only live once and life passes by far to quickly!
I think I’d end up going with the rs. Just can’t decide if it’s worth the upgrade.
Snow is definitely one reason to go for it. I don't have this issue where I live!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Skiing in Wisconsin? You'll be fine keeping your ST with some snow tires.

Unless you're taking your car to a track, or driving it aggressively on back roads I think you'll be disappointed in the trade to an RS. If you didn't already have an ST an argument could be made in favor of the RS.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts